D.O.s in M.D. res. in Midwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroride

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering which of the MD gas programs also have D.O.s residents in the Midwest? I am a D.O. student researching MD programs and would appreciate any help with which programs are DO friendly in the midwest.

Members don't see this ad.

neuroride said:
Just wondering which of the MD gas programs also have D.O.s residents in the Midwest? I am a D.O. student researching MD programs and would appreciate any help with which programs are DO friendly in the midwest.

Rush in Chicago.

I know a few DOs at Wisconsin programs. Also couple in Chicago

Members don't see this ad :)
neuroride said:

http://anesthesiology.osu.edu/4608.cfm

Already talking to them about a rotation....

neuroride said:

Mayo Clinic, Rochester

I have seen a couple here within the last year.

The last DO I spoke with was from KCUMB.

I just recently spoke to the PD of MCW's Anesthesiology residency to confirm a rumor that I heard on SDN. The new department chair has decided to raise the bar on the criteria for DO's and IMG's. Basically, they will still consider DO's, but the scores will need to be much higher than in the past to get a slot. So starting this year (maybe this past interview season, too) MCW will be a little bit less freindly for DO's.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade...just telling it like it is.

Andy15430 said:
I just recently spoke to the PD of MCW's Anesthesiology residency to confirm a rumor that I heard on SDN. The new department chair has decided to raise the bar on the criteria for DO's and IMG's. Basically, they will still consider DO's, but the scores will need to be much higher than in the past to get a slot. So starting this year (maybe this past interview season, too) MCW will be a little bit less freindly for DO's.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade...just telling it like it is.

The new raised bar is now a 220 on step one and a high recommendation to have good step 2 scores in early for DOs and IMGs.

is that for real? On the same note, I read on the ASA website that only 101 DOs matched in gas this year. That is hard to believe. I thought it was more like 300 or so.

badgas said:
The new raised bar is now a 220 on step one and a high recommendation to have good step 2 scores in early for DOs and IMGs.

Whats this about step II scores in early? What is meant by early? I kicked ass on step I, and was hoping to take step II after nterviews were over. Isnt this the norm?

toughlife said:
is that for real? On the same note, I read on the ASA website that only 101 DOs matched in gas this year. That is hard to believe. I thought it was more like 300 or so.

Here is a link to the article mentioned above; http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2006/05-06/grogono05_06.html . No big surprise, the data shows an increased interest in Anesthesiology. I also thought the number of matched osteopathic candidates would be higher.

Wash U
SLU?
Cleveland Clinic
NWU
Loyola
Rush
U Chicago
Ill Masonic
CWRU
U Cinn?
U Mich
Indiana U

I could go on but I think you get the picture.

i got accepted to MCW this year. unfortunately, i don't know if there are any other DO's in my class. i'm sure there are, i just haven't meet/spoken to them yet. i think across the board it was a hard year for DOs to get into MD anesthesia this year and from what a detroit PD told me that it will be even harder next year, but they will still look at DOs. just DOs with good usmle board scores.

UWM01 said:
i got accepted to MCW this year. unfortunately, i don't know if there are any other DO's in my class. i'm sure there are, i just haven't meet/spoken to them yet. i think across the board it was a hard year for DOs to get into MD anesthesia this year and from what a detroit PD told me that it will be even harder next year, but they will still look at DOs. just DOs with good usmle board scores.

Damn! Thank God I got in back in 2000! How quickly things change. I would NEVER get into an MD anesthesia residency now. Doesn't matter though, cuz' I'm a kick-ass anesthesiologist and the chief of my department after only 3 years post-grad.

Peace

I was offered a spot at Saint Louis University and Kansas University in Kansas City and the one in Wichita when I was a student. My roommate ended up at Texas Tech doing anesthesia. The spots offered to me were backups in case I didn't get an ortho spot. I got my ortho spot so it was a moot point, but they both were very receptive and wanted a quality DO or MD very badly.

toughlife said:

Keep in mind that this is the number that matched, and does not necessarily represent the total number of DOs in allopathic anesthesia spots. DOs can sign outside of the match and I'm pretty sure that these numbers aren't counted on the stats that are posted.

That said, DOs can sign outside of the match every year so unless there was a huge increase in those signing outside of the match, there was likely an overall drop in DOs.

101 DOs and only 49 FMGs matched into anesthesia this year. by the way, any and every program in the midwest has DOs, but you may have to have slightly better scores than your MD counterpart this upcoming year seeing as how anesthesia has become quite competitive. just my opinion. whether or not you should take step II early is your call... just make sure you don't take it too early and compromise your score.

101 DOs and only 49 FMGs matched into anesthesia this year. by the way, any and every program in the midwest has DOs, but you may have to have slightly better scores than your MD counterpart this upcoming year seeing as how anesthesia has become quite competitive. just my opinion. whether or not you should take step II early is your call... just make sure you don't take it too early and compromise your score.
Just to clarify. Some people get confused with the IMG/FMG designations.
For the 2006 Match:
DOs - 101 matched through NRMP
US/IMGs - 51 matched through NRMP
Non-US/IMG -49 matched through NRMP

As was noted DOs as well as IMGs also take positions outside of the match (prematching).