D.O. Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wvumedboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to medical schools this upcoming summer and I am concerned with my recommendation letter from a physician. I have a close relationship with an MD orthopedic surgeon but I am applying to both MD and DO schools. Where I live there are not many DOs. Would it hurt if I submitted an MD recommendation letter to DO Schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I know of people who have been accepted with only a MD letter. If you cannot find a DO to shadow by the time you apply, just do your research on the schools you are applying to. I know WVSOM requires a DO LOR, but I'm not sure about any other schools. Also make sure you are able to answer "why DO?" if you cannot find a DO to shadow!

Reactions: 1 user
Not at all, expect for those schools that require a DO LOR.

I will be applying to medical schools this upcoming summer and I am concerned with my recommendation letter from a physician. I have a close relationship with an MD orthopedic surgeon but I am applying to both MD and DO schools. Where I live there are not many DOs. Would it hurt if I submitted an MD recommendation letter to DO Schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied DO with a MD letter. I was accepted at every school I interviewed at. Take the letter of the physician that knows you best! Obviously don't apply to schools that require DO letters.