CWRU School of Medicine VS Keck (USC) School of Medicine VS Ohio State SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hov92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! I've been fortunate enough to gain acceptance from CWRUSOM, Keck SOM and OSU SOM. I am torn between choosing which school to attend. I am a Latino So Cal native (I was actually born at the old General Hospital where the USC medical campus is now located), but currently have lived in Cleveland for 2 years (Did a Masters Program in Anatomy at CWRU). Cleveland has definitely grown on me and would not mind staying another 4 years for medical school, however, my family and friends still reside in So Cal. I am currently interested in surgery (CT or Neurosurgery) or some other interventional specialty (Cardiology/Radiology) and would like to help the underserved population.

CWRUSOM
Pros:
  • Impressive match list
  • Clinical rotation sites are top notch
  • COL is much cheaper than So Cal
  • Curriculum is P/F and class seems very collaborative
    • Possible dual degree options and Pathways
  • Great research opportunities
  • Medical school hours for most days: 8AM-12PM
  • Have made great friends in Cleveland some of which are current medical students at CWRU
Cons:
  • Weather
  • Away from family/best friends
  • Most students match into Midwest/East institutions

KECK SOM
Pros:
  • Curriculum emphasizes health justice and Keck Medicine is known to help those who are underserved
  • Weather
  • Early clinical exposure at LAC+USC medical center
  • Great research opportunities
  • 70k in scholarship at the moment
  • Closer to family and friends
  • Most graduates stay in CA for residency (currently want to go back to CA for residency, but I am also willing to try other places)
  • Possibility for dual degree (thinking about pursuing an MBA)
Cons:
  • High COL
  • Match list is still great, but not as impressive as CWRU (in my opinion)

Ohio State

Pros:
  • Tuition is about half of the two other schools
  • EVERYONE I have talked to that has attended OSU seems to LOVE the school
  • New medical school buildings opening
  • Columbus seems like a nice place to live
  • COL is not too bad
Cons:
  • Weather
  • Not as "prestigious" as Case

At the moment, I am leaning slightly towards Case because of the connections, medical institutions surrounding it, and Cleveland is not so bad but I don't know if the high tuition cost justifies choosing it. Even though I do have a 70k scholarship for Keck the COL is ridiculous in LA.
The interview day really changed my mind about OSU. Everyone was was great and the it is also the cheapest of the three schools. Case's match list is very impressive though. I don't know which school to choose!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CWRU will have a way cheaper COL. Ultimately, I also think that most people from CWRU match back into the midwest/east because theyre from those regions -- thus I think you don't have to worry about potentially not being able to match in the west. Also, speaking as someone from the Midwest, the people here are great and it is really easy to make community just because how small the cities are. I'm in favor of case between those two, but I totally understand not wanting to leave family/friends

Both are great schools, but I think USC Keck has the edge, since your happiness and mental health in medical school is important (you'll have the energy and stamina to make more of your opportunities). Being close to family and having warm sunny weather really help in that regard.