CVS proposed settlement letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HappyRph

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received mine today....says CVS has agreed to pay $19,750,000 to settle the lawsuit....I wonder how much each pharmacist involved will get out of it? What do you guys think of the class lawsuit? I'm sure pharmacists working for other retailers may benefit from a similar lawsuit as this lack of meal break/lunch is not just a CVS problem I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Just received mine today....says CVS has agreed to pay $19,750,000 to settle the lawsuit....I wonder how much each pharmacist involved will get out of it? What do you guys think of the class lawsuit? I'm sure pharmacists working for other retailers may benefit from a similar lawsuit as this lack of meal break/lunch is not just a CVS problem I think.

Was this for a particular state or nationwide? First time I ever heard of it. Sure would be nice if they cracked down on the stores and made mandatory meal and 15 min breaks.

Yeah I think it's California only....

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the huge sucko corporate chains got away with it by designating us "highly compensated professionals". This excempts them from state and/or federal labor laws concerning breaks and overtime.

I thought the huge sucko corporate chains got away with it by designating us "highly compensated professionals". This excempts them from state and/or federal labor laws concerning breaks and overtime.

No corporate policy allows you to violate State or Federal Laws. The "Highly Compensated Professionals" or "management" designation only applies to time and a half for overtime over 40 hours. Doctors, lawyers, nurses are ""Highly Compensated Professionals" and are therefore exempt from federal overtime laws and from some state overtime laws.

Old Timer you are CVS's biggest cheer leader. What is the real scoop on this? CVS is not the only chain who does not have an adequate amount of staffing. I work for a grocery store chain owned by Safeway and I think our staffing is worse than CVS if that is possilbe. I have been there 7 months and have yet to get a lunch let alone 15 minute breaks.

Old Timer you are CVS's biggest cheer leader. What is the real scoop on this? CVS is not the only chain who does not have an adequate amount of staffing. I work for a grocery store chain owned by Safeway and I think our staffing is worse than CVS if that is possilbe. I have been there 7 months and have yet to get a lunch let alone 15 minute breaks.

yeah..you're too busy scoping out babes in the store...

yeah..you're too busy scoping out babes in the store...

Dude I wish! I work in an older part of North Dallas. The average age of our customers is 80. Nothing like getting yelled at by some 80 year old blue hair because her prescription for prevident mint gel written 4 months ago wasn't done in 30 seconds.

Dude I wish! I work in an older part of North Dallas. The average age of our customers is 80. Nothing like getting yelled at by some 80 year old blue hair because her prescription for prevident mint gel written 4 months ago wasn't done in 30 seconds.

For Real? That sucks to be you dude...

I think this is in California and since I am on the sane coast, I have no first hand knowledge. I was just commenting on the overtime laws. I have been with CVS for 7 years now and I have been in retail for 25 years and there are no "breaks" in retail. That being said, in seven years, I can count on one hand the number of times I was unable to eat at work. Any time I am in a store with overlap, I am able to sit down and eat like a person. In a store where there is no overlap, they are usually slow enough that I am able to take my time and eat a meal. It's just my experience, your mileage may vary.....

Someday I will find my dream job....someday....

Oh well that was the price of the relocation package...They spent 30k to move me here for a reason. Its a store no one in all of Dallas wanted.
That's why new grads should look REALLY CLOSELY at the sign-on bonuses that they get offered.

I'm sorry to hear that your store is less-than-ideal; unfortunately, your complaint is not uncommon. Every city has its "bad" pharmacies.

Oh, I knew exactly what I was getting into. A friend of mine relocated to that store a year ago and has since moved on. I was well aware of all the bad points before I agreed to the relocation. Really the store itself is not bad its the company I work for that is terrible. I will put my time in and move on to bigger and better things.

You are absolutly correct on the sign on bonus. The higher the sign on bonus the worse the situation is. There is a reason they can't get anyone to fill the position.....

I'm a tech at a NJ CVS and since november (i think) the store manager has required us to take at least a 15min break. It was really hard to adjust it in our schedule so that everyone of us can take a break without getting too stressed with the workload - its been going well so far - we all manage to take 15-30mins now. When its too hectic though, we can get away with not taking breaks but its pretty much required now at our store. Not sure about surrounding stores though.

So, you work for Tom Thumbs, Mountain? I work for Safeway myself and the staffing seems fine. Compared to Walgreen's it is like a vacation.