CVS mandatory sick time - use or lose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hajenkin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about 32 hours of mandatory sick time in the bank right now. I was wondering if I'll lose this time if I don't use it by the end of the year, or will it roll over into next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Think it depends on your state for the rollover. In general you use it or lose it if you leave the company.

Where I am, mandated sick reduces to 40 hours on January 1st (assuming you have accumulated above 40 hours) and can reach a maximum of 72 hours. You only accumulate a max of 40 hours per year regardless of how many hours you work. I am not sure what happens to the hours if you leave the company but I would guess you lose them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You get clockable sick time? I just get paid no matter what because I'm salaried.

Requirement in certain states, for pharmacists and store managers we have unlimited sick time after our mandated sick is used up. I will say that these rules seem to encourage more sick time use by higher level positions since the hours are defined and they don't way to lose them.

You get clockable sick time? I just get paid no matter what because I'm salaried.

Yes 40 hours per year. This is why techs call in "sick" all the time.

Walmart decided in California to give every hourly associate at least ~70 hours of sick time income replacement (and "protection" against absences) per 2080 hours worked.

It's great for pharmacy

Lol I have 24 hours of sick time and I just put in my 2 weeks, am I going to lose it? I thought if we don’t use it we get paid for it by the end of year.

Lol I have 24 hours of sick time and I just put in my 2 weeks, am I going to lose it? I thought if we don’t use it we get paid for it by the end of year.

Better call out sick 3 days in a row.

You have barely even started.. Leaving already?

Reactions: 1 user

Didn't we all just advise you not to quit unless you had an actual offer pending for you because you haven't passed your exam? Did you get a new offer from someone?

I read your past messages and I think you made a big mistake. They wanted you to work 40 hours so just keep working and study when you are done. Instead of studying 2 months study for 3 months. You have no idea how difficult it is to find a job these days.

Guys, DM was being really difficult in terms of schedule. They pretty much said I gotta follow whenever I was asked to work. I couldn’t do it and I know I will run into schedule issues every time. plus they lowered my pay too. I am also planning to move out of state so all this made sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read your past messages and I think you made a big mistake. They wanted you to work 40 hours so just keep working and study when you are done. Instead of studying 2 months study for 3 months. You have no idea how difficult it is to find a job these days.
No my boss gave me timeline on when I need to pass exam and there was no guarantee of job down the line. boss told me many times there is no job down the line I want you to know.

Didn't we all just advise you not to quit unless you had an actual offer pending for you because you haven't passed your exam? Did you get a new offer from someone?
DM was being really difficult in terms of schedule. They pretty much said I gotta follow whenever I was asked to work. I couldn’t do it and I know I will run into schedule issues every time. plus they lowered my pay too. I am also planning to move out of state so all this made sense. Plus, they kept saying there is no job down the line. If there is no guarantee then what’s point.

You'll lose it all. Sick time doesn't get paid out. You should be calling in sick for the next 3 days now.

You'll lose it all. Sick time doesn't get paid out. You should be calling in sick for the next 3 days now.
Damn how can I do that. My 2 weeks period starts from tomorrow. it won’t look good if I dint show up for 3 days in that period

LMAO people who put in 2 weeks may not even be allowed to work at all so what diff does it make?

Damn how can I do that. My 2 weeks period starts from tomorrow. it won’t look good if I dint show up for 3 days in that period

If you just started working and already quit, you already look bad.

Reactions: 2 users
Working at cvs would turn you into steel. It’s like growing up in Sparta in 300 movie.

Me and my friend often joke with each other on how it would’ve been better for us to start at Cvs or Walgreens instead of grocery store. Because it would be very hard for us to work at CVS now if we were to loose our current job.

lol it’s been 11 months with company, not the longest but still something.

The reason why we were also telling you to hold onto this job while you pass your exam and apply was because it tells the employer that you are actively working... Now once you pass the exam and an employer comes across your application, they're going to see a gap of unemployment depends on how far it'll be. For example, you may be not able to find a job for a year... then you're more at risk of staying unemployed as you compete for the next incoming new grads...

The reason why we were also telling you to hold onto this job while you pass your exam and apply was because it tells the employer that you are actively working... Now once you pass the exam and an employer comes across your application, they're going to see a gap of unemployment depends on how far it'll be. For example, you may be not able to find a job for a year... then you're more at risk of staying unemployed as you compete for the next incoming new grads...
Totally that’s why I am planning on moving out of state and pass it mpje so I can find job now than wait for few months

lol it’s been 11 months with company, not the longest but still something.

How many months have you been a pharmacist? Even 11 months is very short. I'd say a minimum of 2 years as a pharmacist looks okay on a resume. Anything less makes you look like a job hopper.

How many months have you been a pharmacist? Even 11 months is very short. I'd say a minimum of 2 years as a pharmacist looks okay on a resume. Anything less makes you look like a job hopper.
Was intern for them then became grad intern but no pharmacist experience. I just graduated and reason of quitting was them taking my offer away when I didn’t pass my CPJE on first attempt.

Was intern for them then became grad intern but no pharmacist experience. I just graduated and reason of quitting was them taking my offer away when I didn’t pass my CPJE on first attempt.
Dang, they should give you another chance on the CPJE. If I were you I would look elsewhere for another pharmacist job, while studying for the MPJE out of state

How long of gap is considered too long for employment?

You should never quit current job before securing the new one. Period.

Reactions: 1 users
How long of gap is considered too long for employment?

There isn't a specific rule for how long is considered too long but it gives them more of a reason to overlook your application and look at the ones that are currently employed. Easier to contact references and evaluate most up to date information regarding the applicant.

Working at cvs would turn you into steel. It’s like growing up in Sparta in 300 movie.

Me and my friend often joke with each other on how it would’ve been better for us to start at Cvs or Walgreens instead of grocery store. Because it would be very hard for us to work at CVS now if we were to loose our current job.

Only if you are actually any "good" (i.e., "efficient" and "productive") at handling middling to high volume b/c of less overlap and tech hrs

"Good" CVS pharmacists can work at any other chain. Bad ones can't.

"Good" Walmart pharmacists prob cannot work at Wags or CVS unless very slow stores.

Not that it's difficult to figure out who I am, but my most favorite shift at Walmart so far was 4-pointing 300+ and filling 300+ at a store with only 2 non-techs covering the front the whole day and where the other pharmacist barely did anything because s/he physically couldn't move at the required speed. That was like 6 hrs of pharmacist overlap.

Only if you are actually any "good" (i.e., "efficient" and "productive") at handling middling to high volume b/c of less overlap and tech hrs

"Good" CVS pharmacists can work at any other chain. Bad ones can't.

"Good" Walmart pharmacists prob cannot work at Wags or CVS unless very slow stores.

Not that it's difficult to figure out who I am, but my most favorite shift at Walmart so far was 4-pointing 300+ and filling 300+ at a store with only 2 non-techs covering the front the whole day and where the other pharmacist barely did anything because s/he physically couldn't move at the required speed. That was like 6 hrs of pharmacist overlap.

Balance between safety and efficiency is difficult to achieve ie. super fast pharmacists make more errors than they should while safe pharmacists are usually slow.

I don't think you can be a safe pharmacist at CVS/ WAG given their volume vs help. It sounds like it's all about how fast you can hit accept. At WM it's still possible to achieve this although it's becoming more and more difficult given increased responsibilities each day.

4-pting 300 is rough. I have had 230+ days (single coverage) and I felt like I was hit by a bus at the end of the shift.