CV or Biosketch for academic jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For attendings and senior residents, I am in the process of throwing out feelers for academic junior faculty positions. However, I wonder if I should use the more abbreviated CV or the lengthier biosketch used for NIH grants.

If you feel a CV is more appropriate, can you recommend heading titles for each section? For my current CV, my heading titles are as follows:

Education (self-explanatory)
Research Experience (basically just name PI, institution, dates)
Funding (self-explanatory)
Honors & Awards (should travel awards go into this category or "Funding?")
Peer-Reviewed Publications (should I include PMID? also is it kosher to include publications "in preparation" if they really are?)
Book Chapters
Abstracts & Publications
Professional Affiliations (ASTRO, AMA, etc. does anybody really give a crap about these? it's not like I hold any officer positions in any of them)

Notably absent from my current CV are Summary/Purpose section (e.g. I'm looking for an physician-scientist position in the field of [insert relevant subsite]) and References (do I just put "furnished upon request?"). Are these sections important to include?

Thanks very much for any advice. My co-residents and senior residents in nearby programs are either going into private practice (or maybe locums in this horrendous job environment) or clinical academic (no bench research) so I find advice is somewhat lacking.

Members don't see this ad.

i think you have a pretty good grasp of whats necessary for a cv. your headings are right on. i choose to do mine in reverse chronological order. funding should be research/grant funding; travel awards should go under honors and awards.

also, no need for a summary statement. you should provide references; shows you have nothing to hide and who to call.

For attendings and senior residents, I am in the process of throwing out feelers for academic junior faculty positions. However, I wonder if I should use the more abbreviated CV or the lengthier biosketch used for NIH grants.

If you feel a CV is more appropriate, can you recommend heading titles for each section? For my current CV, my heading titles are as follows:

Education (self-explanatory)
Research Experience (basically just name PI, institution, dates)
Funding (self-explanatory)
Honors & Awards (should travel awards go into this category or "Funding?")
Peer-Reviewed Publications (should I include PMID? also is it kosher to include publications "in preparation" if they really are?)
Book Chapters
Abstracts & Publications
Professional Affiliations (ASTRO, AMA, etc. does anybody really give a crap about these? it's not like I hold any officer positions in any of them)

Notably absent from my current CV are Summary/Purpose section (e.g. I'm looking for an physician-scientist position in the field of [insert relevant subsite]) and References (do I just put "furnished upon request?"). Are these sections important to include?

Thanks very much for any advice. My co-residents and senior residents in nearby programs are either going into private practice (or maybe locums in this horrendous job environment) or clinical academic (no bench research) so I find advice is somewhat lacking.

Agree w/ radonc's input. I also included a section after education and before the research for "Licensure and Certification" in which you would list the states in which you hold an active medical license and your board certification as applicable. Otherwise, I think you've got it covered.