CV and Email Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CABstudent1!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am applying into general master's programs (CSU's mostly). My hopes are to gain enough research experience to prepare for a PhD program and to get enough experience to narrow down what specific area I want to study. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to read my CV and provide me with some constructive feedback. It would mean a lot! Also, if anyone has any advice for emailing potential professors I would really appreciate it. There are a couple professors that I want to work under more than anything so any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance guys! P.S. I put the x's in place of my name and contact information!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Unidentifiable Resume.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 145
Agreed, Arial or TNR for font make it easier to read.

Otherwise,
1. I would focus less on descriptive adjectives for your tasks (fruitful, effective, etc) and ground what you did in behaviors. For instance, rather than saying "constructively critiqued phrasing, visual display and platform of presentation of honors students’ theses to minimize potential skewing biases" tell me how you did so and what theory you used as part of that action. In general, you describe your actions through a lens of you stating that they are effective without detail (see #2). I want detail to make my own judgement about effectiveness/utility/capacity.

2. Be specific. So you mention "using SPSS and thorough understanding of all vital components of a research study". How? What analyses?

3. I wouldn't describe my time as a research participant.

4. Consider removing the double spacing between every line. You don't have 5 pages worth of material and it doesn't need to take that much.

In general, the best advice is to download the CV of a professor you are interested in working with and copy the format as closely as possible. Mirror the style, mirror the format, and mirror the way things are described.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Agreed, Arial or TNR for font make it easier to read.

Otherwise,
1. I would focus less on descriptive adjectives for your tasks (fruitful, effective, etc) and ground what you did in behaviors. For instance, rather than saying "constructively critiqued phrasing, visual display and platform of presentation of honors students’ theses to minimize potential skewing biases" tell me how you did so and what theory you used as part of that action. In general, you describe your actions through a lens of you stating that they are effective without detail (see #2). I want detail to make my own judgement about effectiveness/utility/capacity.

2. Be specific. So you mention "using SPSS and thorough understanding of all vital components of a research study". How? What analyses?

3. I wouldn't describe my time as a research participant.

4. Consider removing the double spacing between every line. You don't have 5 pages worth of material and it doesn't need to take that much.

In general, the best advice is to download the CV of a professor you are interested in working with and copy the format as closely as possible. Mirror the style, mirror the format, and mirror the way things are described.
Thank you! This is all really great advice and very helpful. I will make these changes today and also look for other CV's for reference and comparison. I just had one question: when you say you wouldn't describe your time as a research assistant, do you think I should leave it blank?

Also, if I want to email potential professors, do you think I should include my CV and what should I say in the email?

I appreciate all your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
+1

Also, if I want to email potential professors, do you think I should include my CV and what should I say in the email?
If you do this, then yes.

Reactions: 1 user
I just had one question: when you say you wouldn't describe your time as a research assistant, do you think I should leave it blank?
You have a position listed as "Participant". However, reading the description below it, I am confused about the nature of this job. Were you a research participant, or were you a facilitator of some sort at this lab?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! This is all really great advice and very helpful. I will make these changes today and also look for other CV's for reference and comparison. I just had one question: when you say you wouldn't describe your time as a research assistant, do you think I should leave it blank?

I appreciate all your advice!
research participant, not assistant. assistant good, participant bad. Your list yourself as a participant for a human factors study. it may be a typo, but that's not normal to have

1. yes, always include a cv when you email.

2. email with questions if you have them but make sure (1) they arent answered on the website and (2) you arent just emailing to say hi. if you ask a question that's answered , that has the opposite result (for instance, I have big red bold text that says I'll take students so when people ask it looks BAD). I often look back at the emails folks send when they make a shortlist with me, so that stuff matters

Reactions: 1 users