Cush Osteopathic internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

euhsa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a little late for me because I am already a PGY-1 at Union Hospital. However, for the benefit of the current fourth years, does anyone know what programs have the reputation of being cush programs?

As for my program, Union Hospital is probably average as far as hours are concerned. Teaching is okay too.

However, UMDNJ/ ST Francis has the cush reputation, but UCONN would probably be the best for academics.

Members don't see this ad.

I cant think of a internship more cush than westchester hospital FL....................................no call at all, but a couple od days a week you have family clinic. Can make what you want of it.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Maimo in Brooklyn was an awesome place for a DO internship....

All of us loved it and it was a cakewalk compared to residency....

Look into it...its competitive and selective...but well well worth getting in!!!

Maimo in Brooklyn was an awesome place for a DO internship....

All of us loved it and it was a cakewalk compared to residency....

Look into it...its competitive and selective...but well well worth getting in!!!

I'm looking at the DO match list from this year and it shows Maimonides osteopathic internship with 9 internship spots, 2 filled, and 7 OPEN! That doesn't sound very competitive to me doc.

Could you please elaborate on your schedule as an osteopathic intern at Maimonides? Also what can you tell us about the Transitional Year program?

Being a 4th year medical student, the sarcasm seems a little ahead of you....

Be that as it may,the PD has changed...since I was there two years ago...When I was there, it was two months of IM, two months of gen sx, two electives, and one month of anesthesia, rads, ob/gyn, peds, ct-ocu and one month vacation.
I would be hard pressed to find a transitional year with only two months of IM.

We had plenty of free time and really all enjoyed ourselves...hopsital sponsored housing, at a one bedroom in Brooklyn right off the D train for $600 a month; along with living within walking distance of the hospital and 20 min of Greenwhich Village....

We were a close group and really really had an amazing time...there were 6 transitional DO spots and 10 transitional MD spots with the majority of us going into Derm, PM&R, Anesthesia, Urology.....

It was a great program, and couldn't say a bad thing about it....

Being a 4th year medical student, the sarcasm seems a little ahead of you....

Be that as it may,the PD has changed...since I was there two years ago...When I was there, it was two months of IM, two months of gen sx, two electives, and one month of anesthesia, rads, ob/gyn, peds, ct-ocu and one month vacation.
I would be hard pressed to find a transitional year with only two months of IM.

We had plenty of free time and really all enjoyed ourselves...hopsital sponsored housing, at a one bedroom in Brooklyn right off the D train for $600 a month; along with living within walking distance of the hospital and 20 min of Greenwhich Village....

We were a close group and really really had an amazing time...there were 6 transitional DO spots and 10 transitional MD spots with the majority of us going into Derm, PM&R, Anesthesia, Urology.....

It was a great program, and couldn't say a bad thing about it....

My apologies doc. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic at all. Just pointing out what I found on the DO-online website.

Thanks again for the info. It's much appreciated...:)

Not a problem at all...

Perhaps it just came across wrong....either way.... Good luck to ya....!

At Westchester you are essentially a glorified 4th year medical student. Yes, what that person above said is true, but you only write H&P's on patients. You do not come up with A/P on pts. You learn almost nothing from this internship. I personally think that Palmetto down in FL is the best osteopathic internship year. The stats from the match are very misleading. Many osteopathic internships do not go filled, intentionally. PD's hold spots open for better candidates that are going through the allo match, and they wait to scoop them up once it is over. I saw that happen many times. There are many competitive specialities that have some programs with internship year included. Once you match for an osteopathic internship year, you cannot match into those programs. Many people do not feel it is worth the risk of not matching into their competitive specialty. Especially with resolution 42, many people fel tthat they no longer needed to do an osteopathic internship year. If you are a competitive candidate, there is almost always spots open for internship year.

That's a very informative post. What is resolution 42 exactly?

Large (~650 bed) community hospital
Trauma Center
LifeFlight
$44,295/yr
$650 education
free healthcare
free parking
$110/month for food
free Dell PDA
3 free lab coats w/laundering all year
3 weeks vacation/yr
no lousy clinic
free gym at the hospital
$215 towards exercise equip/offsite membership
no weekends unless call

Call...
~4 blocks with call (yes only 4)
1 month of night float

cons:
Canton isn't the most bustling place however cost of living is very cheap.

rotations:
1 mo ED (40 hrs/wk)
1 mo ob/gyn (longer hrs)
1 mo peds (7:30-5)
3 mo electives (lots of specialties to choose from)
1 mo surgery (with an attending)
1 mo NICU (could probably get out of it but it's not a bad month)
1 mo MICU (6a-5p)
1 mo night float (8p-8a)
1 mo FM (easy)
1 mo FP/OMM (easy, out-pt)

There's a lot worse out there.

Large (~650 bed) community hospital
Trauma Center
LifeFlight
$44,295/yr
$650 education
free healthcare
free parking
$110/month for food
free Dell PDA
3 free lab coats w/laundering all year
3 weeks vacation/yr
no lousy clinic
free gym at the hospital
$215 towards exercise equip/offsite membership
no weekends unless call

Call...
~4 blocks with call (yes only 4)
1 month of night float

cons:
Canton isn't the most bustling place however cost of living is very cheap.

rotations:
1 mo ED (40 hrs/wk)
1 mo ob/gyn (longer hrs)
1 mo peds (7:30-5)
3 mo electives (lots of specialties to choose from)
1 mo surgery (with an attending)
1 mo NICU (could probably get out of it but it's not a bad month)
1 mo MICU (6a-5p)
1 mo night float (8p-8a)
1 mo FM (easy)
1 mo FP/OMM (easy, out-pt)

There's a lot worse out there.

What is the call schedule on the four blocks with call?

Medicine Floor:
Some short call till 8pm
Overnight ~4 times for the month

MICU:
~Q5

Peds:
~Q5

FM:
Till midight ~Q5

how is LECOM Wellington in FL?
anyone know anything about any of the PA internships?

anyone know anything about any of the DO internships in philly or pittsburgh?!?!?