Currently on Waitlist...Need advice! (Murphy's Law)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PagingDr.F

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Get ready for lengthy post :)

As the title says, I'm currently wait-listed at three medical schools:
1. FIU
2. GW
3. CWRU (my top choice and incredibly surprised/honored to have received an interview regarding my stats...I also sent my application in September 30 so?...perhaps it has to do with the fact that I'm a fluent Spanish speaker? or that the orthopedic surgeon I shadowed is a former CWRU resident & fellowship alumnus?) I also will admit, this is the by far the best secondary I completed - in my opinion.

Below are the stats I applied with this current cycle (2017) along with what I've done throughout the year to improve my application in case things didn't work out (hence, Murphy's Law).

My Stats:
31 MCAT (10PS 10VS 11BS) - 83% - Taken 2015
-I know a lot of schools won't be accepting the old version so I have to retake the new one (July 21st) - my post will involve some questions on how to best prepare for a retake)
OLD GPAs
(Pre-postbac) cGPA: 3.18
(Pre-Postbac) BPCM GPA: 3.2
NEW GPAs:
Postbac (Undergrad) GPA: 3.91
- I went back to school after taking the MCAT and took around 40 credits undergrad to get my second B.S in Biology
cGPA: 3.25
BPCM GPA: 3.45
OLD Extracurriculars:
50 hours as an ER volunteer
60 hours working at a homeless shelter
50 hours tutoring (paid)
300 hours working a summer manual labor job. Simply unloaded linen on and off trucks and managed some inventory. Just wanted to make some $$$ for a cruise me and my friends were planning for that summer.
350 hours shadowing an orthopedic surgeon
~1300 hours doing research in a genetics lab (doing this at the school where I got my second B.S)
~50 hours of research with the orthopedic surgeon I shadowed. My involvement was minimal, I honestly just carried out the tests but it was still an awesome experience that I really enjoyed.
-100 hours (25 x 4 summers) - Taekwondo Coach every summer home from school
NEW Extracurriculars:
~2100 hours of research in the same genetics lab as before
-120 hours as a Teaching Assistant for my genetics PI
-400 (+50 hrs from last cycle) hours shadowing the same orthopedic surgeon
-120 hours shadowing an Internist/Geriatrician
-120 hours shadowing a Pediatrician (also a CWRU resident alumnus...haha)
Hobbies:
(~10,000+) hours Taekwondo - I'm a 3x USA National champion, have competed and placed in several US Opens and other international competitons - my personal experiences with injuries are what led me to pursue a career in medicine - this is what led me to pursue my first undergrad degree in exercise science. I'm still practicing/coaching, just not competing. May try and qualify for the collegiate world games if time permits but the olympics just isn't my dream anymore, becoming a physician is.

1. I will send my PS/AMCAS to verified mods if they ask for it. Maybe there could be a problem in that?
2. Have I done enough to improve my application? I don't want to apply DO - I think they can be great doctors and all, but I don't want to deal with residency match issues (even though I know they're combining them...I love ortho and I know it's one of the most competitive specialties to match in).
3. How do I study for the new MCAT? Since I took over 40 credits worth of high level science classes, my knowledge has only increased (especially in the biochemistry/biology department). So I'm not really worried about that section (I'm scoring in the high 90 percentile on the couple of Kaplan tests I took.) Is the 101 CARS book a good option for verbal?
4. With the lack of practice tests I find myself struggling to study. For my last MCAT I just drilled in tests and reviewed/learned from my mistakes - but now there are only 2 AAMC practice tests...
5. And finally, my final question. The new Psychology/Social Science section...what did you study? Did you just do EK, Kaplan, Princeton, etc. content review or?

Anyway - thanks for reading my long post...any advice/comments would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I think you have an excellent shot and at this point, being on WL, means that all these things don't matter as much and what does matter is your interview. In general, I would say you should work more on your interview skills because you should have had at least 1 acceptance. Othe than this, I think you are in excellent shape. You could write Case a letter of intent. Try calling and asking to be updated on your status. Just show interest. Be aggressive, but not desperate. At this point they can see you don't have any acceptances yet, so they won't be as concerned about your commitment to their school

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding the MCAT... the new one is just longer and more critical thinking based than the old one. I think you should be fine studying as you did before. I honestly don't think these are the problem since you clearly got a good amount of interviews. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I think you have an excellent shot and at this point, being on WL, means that all these things don't matter as much and what does matter is your interview. In general, I would say you should work more on your interview skills because you should have had at least 1 acceptance.l

I applied to 27 schools...is three interviews really "a lot"? I felt like all three all went fairly well - granted, we're the worst judges of our own interviews so maybe you're right.

I applied to 27 schools...is three interviews really "a lot"? I felt like all three all went fairly well - granted, we're the worst judges of our own interviews so maybe you're right.

I mean considering everything equal only 40% of people get into medical school, yes 3 interviews is a good amount.

I mean I think so... Most schools only interview 10% of their applicants and all things considered only about 40% of people get into medical school each year. I wasnt at your interview and you clearly know yourself better, so IDK. But I dont see why they would give you an interview if they didn't like you on paper.

Also i personally think your extracurricular are insanely impressive. Also your grades. You can always improve, but I think youre an excellent applicant as is, so wouldnt worry about that.

A lot of these ECs are post applying though - hopefully they'll help me get some more interviews next cycle. But I see why you think my interviews could have definitely been the problem. I've just seen people with the same stats get 6-9 interviews...so maybe I was wondering whether my PS just sucked? or maybe my LORs? I'll be applying with a committee letter next cycle though so maybe that will help?...my last school didn't offer one and I hadn't had enough exposure with professors from my home institution to qualify for it at the time I applied. lol IDK I'm totally lost right now...I thought my postbacc and mcat more than made up for my paltry gpa during my first degree. This is a total bummer...every day that passes in may kills me just a little bit. I so do not want to study for the mcat again...lol but still, I am grateful to be on a WL at least. Thanks for the responses @x3kib

A lot of these ECs are post applying though - hopefully they'll help me get some more interviews next cycle. But I see why you think my interviews could have definitely been the problem. I've just seen people with the same stats get 6-9 interviews...so maybe I was wondering whether my PS just sucked? or maybe my LORs? I'll be applying with a committee letter next cycle though so maybe that will help?...my last school didn't offer one and I hadn't had enough exposure with professors from my home institution to qualify for it at the time I applied. lol IDK I'm totally lost right now...I thought my postbacc and mcat more than made up for my paltry gpa during my first degree. This is a total bummer...every day that passes in may kills me just a little bit. I so do not want to study for the mcat again...lol but still, I am grateful to be on a WL at least. Thanks for the responses @x3kib

No problem. Have you been updated them?
Stay positive, you will most likely get off at least one WL!

I mean considering everything equal only 40% of people get into medical school, yes 3 interviews is a good amount.

I mean I think so... Most schools only interview 10% of their applicants and all things considered only about 40% of people get into medical school each year. I wasnt at your interview and you clearly know yourself better, so IDK. But I dont see why they would give you an interview if they didn't like you on paper.

Does the 40% include MD and DO or just MD?

Does the 40% include MD and DO or just MD?
pretty sure those are MD numbers. a quick google would help you though =) I'm just too lazy.

BTW how much physics is there are the new MCAT really? it's like the biggest content review book after bio but I heard its like 16 questions out of the whole thing?