Currently in CRNA school & considering backtracking to make the switch to medical school. Am I crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRNAtoMDmaybe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Brief history: I was a horribly average high school student. My poor academic performance drove me nuts, so I viewed undergrad as a chance to prove to myself what I could accomplish. I graduated with a BSN, a 4.0 cGPA, and I was very involved in extracurriculars in my university. After graduation, I worked for 2 years in an ICU, and I recently started a Nurse Anesthesia program. I am 24-years-old.

Why? I always dreamed of going to medical school and working as a physician, but I lacked the confidence to make the decision to just go for it and decided that CRNA school would be my best option. I applied to CRNA school and told myself that if I was accepted, I would go. If not, I would more strongly consider a post-bacc premed program. As is apparent, I was accepted into the CRNA program and decided to attend; I am not convinced that I made the right choice. This program is not easy, but I am doing very well. I know that my ambition and the desire to devote my life to my profession is the only attribute that sets me apart from other students. I truly think that I could be happy with this career, but I do not anticipate my desire to attend medical school will ever go away. In 5 years, I don't want to be a 29-year-old CRNA who feels limited in his practice and hates himself for not taking a chance. There is also the other side of my brain (maybe the rational side) that scoffs at the idea of dropping out of CRNA school, taking pre-med courses & studying for the MCAT to hopefully be admitted into medical school at the age of 26-27 (the age that I would graduate from this CRNA program).

Summary: I have spent the last 6 years of my life wondering if I should just go for it, only to convince myself every time that it's not the right move: not smart enough, gone too far to turn back now, CRNA school would be much easier, etc. I was hoping that CRNA school would satisfy my mind and allow me to feel like I made the right decision, but it hasn't. Am I crazy?

Edit: as I'm rereading this, I realize that I really did not pose any good questions to be answered. I have so many that I truly don't know where to start, but here we go:

-Are there any other previous SRNAs/CRNAs out there who can give specific insight?
-Are there anesthesiologists out there who think I am absolutely psychotic for considering this?
-Those of you who backtracked significantly to start your journey, is it something that you regret?
-Would medical schools consider my undergraduate success, CVICU RN and SRNA experience favorably, or would it not have significant weight? Obviously premed GPA and MCAT score would be most important.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are crazy if you are interested in anesthesia. That would be 8 years of school/residency minimum to supervise other CRNAs and longer if you want a fellowship for hearts/become an intensivist etc. If you want to practice anesthesia you can do most generalist cases with minimal supervision as a CRNA. In many of the surgery centers in Texas CRNAs can be supervised by the surgeon. It's not the same as being a PA/NP. The pay and work hours can be amazing if you're looking for the right situation.

If you want to dedicate yourself to a field outside of anesthesia then I can understand. I opted to become a PA when I was your age. Here I am at 31 applying to medical school this cycle. If you know you want to become a doctor then leave your program, you're only 24.

Edit:
- I don't regret the journey I took to medicine. It's only through my practice that I realized that I wanted to pursue the MD route.

-Medical schools definitely look at your undergrad/graduate success and clinic experience/ECs along with your MCAT. I have received many interview invites early and I think it's because of the holistic screening most schools are turning towards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are crazy if you are interested in anesthesia. That would be 8 years of school/residency minimum to supervise other CRNAs and longer if you want a fellowship for hearts/become an intensivist etc. If you want to practice anesthesia you can do most generalist cases with minimal supervision as a CRNA. In many of the surgery centers in Texas CRNAs can be supervised by the surgeon. It's not the same as being a PA/NP. The pay and work hours can be amazing if you're looking for the right situation.

If you want to dedicate yourself to a field outside of anesthesia then I can understand. I opted to become a PA when I was your age. Here I am at 31 applying to medical school this cycle. If you know you want to become a doctor then leave your program, you're only 24.
I think that I would likely end up being most interested in anesthesia, but the education and opportunities for anesthesiologists vs CRNAs are what really make me regret not taking that path (having a medical school background; opportunities for different fellowships; not being limited in practice). I just can't decide if it's worth backtracking for those opportunities vs. the opportunity I already have in front of me. 80% of my brain agrees with you and says that it isn't worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
ICU RN for many years here. I had to weigh out the options as well, only I chose MD before I even applied CRNA (also decided gas probably wasn’t a fit for me, but I digress).

My vote is this: finish CRNA. Do prerequisites while working. Pay off ALL DEBT and save money for medical school. Apply to medical school.

If you don’t get in or decide you don’t want to do the MD thing, use your nest egg for a house or something other than school. Eat drink and be merry. If you decide to do the MD, you’ll be coming in with great experience and the finically gamble will be almost nill since you will have minimized your loans by living shrewdly.

That’s essentially what I did, just sans the CRNA bit.

ICU RN for many years here. I had to weigh out the options as well, only I chose MD before I even applied CRNA (also decided gas probably wasn’t a fit for me, but I digress).

My vote is this: finish CRNA. Do prerequisites while working. Pay off ALL DEBT and save money for medical school. Apply to medical school.

If you don’t get in or decide you don’t want to do the MD thing, use your nest egg for a house or something other than school. Eat drink and be merry. If you decide to do the MD, you’ll be coming in with great experience and the finically gamble will be almost nill since you will have minimized your loans by living shrewdly.

That’s essentially what I did, just sans the CRNA bit.
I think this is definitely the most intelligent option, and it's also the more scenic route. I suppose it would be stupid to throw away this opportunity, and if I still want to pursue medical school in my late 20s, early 30s, I will be better prepared intellectually and financially as a CRNA.

If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you started medical school? Any idea what specialty you're interested in? Any regrets?

Last edited:
I think this is definitely the most intelligent option, and it's also the more scenic route. I suppose it would be stupid to throw away this opportunity, and if I still want to pursue medical school in my late 20s, early 30s, I will be better prepared intellectually and financially as a CRNA. Girlfriend of 3.5 years (and certainly future wife) was also admitted into this program alongside me, so at least I will have her to lean on if I do decide to go this route.

If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you started medical school? Any idea what specialty you're interested in? Any regrets?

For anonymity’s sake, I’ll just say that I’ll be under 40 when I graduate. ;)

I’m most interested in IM currently, but also think FM or gas->crit might be a good fit. I love the ICU, but that’s a young man’s game...

My age *does* weigh on my mind re: specialty choice. I wouldn’t want to do a research year and then a 7-year ortho program, for example. 8 years of post-grad training is just too much to carve out of my career years.

However, the less debt/fewer financial obligations you have, the less you have to worry about that side of things and the more you can focus on what you truly *want* to do. At the end of the day, medicine is a job... so it’s worth picking one you like as long as it won’t bankrupt you. That’s my plan anyway; I’ll defer the specifics to those who are farther down their educational path than I (MS2).

The CRNA is an impressive credential and you can do a lot with it. A family friend works part time at a large medical center and still rakes in $200k a year. If I had any interest in anesthesia I'd definitely go the CRNA route. The long training years of MD are just not worth it if all you want is to do general practice anesthesia.
...the education and opportunities for anesthesiologists vs CRNAs are what really make me regret not taking that path (having a medical school background; opportunities for different fellowships; not being limited in practice). I just can't decide if it's worth backtracking for those opportunities vs. the opportunity I already have in front of me. 80% of my brain agrees with you and says that it isn't worth it.
Honestly, it really isn't worth it to spend 8+ years and $250k just for more knowledge and fellowships. At some point, you get diminishing returns.

The CRNA is an impressive credential and you can do a lot with it. A family friend works part time at a large medical center and still rakes in $200k a year. If I had any interest in anesthesia I'd definitely go the CRNA route. The long training years of MD are just not worth it if all you want is to do general practice anesthesia.

Honestly, it really isn't worth it to spend 8+ years and $250k just for more knowledge and fellowships. At some point, you get diminishing returns.

I would instantly take a MD(not DO) offer considering theyd get paid 2-3x what i would

theres a large difference between 120 a hour and 200-240 a hour