Current US MSIII wants advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BatmanMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a MSIII from the US, and need some advice on doing an away rotation.

I'm thinking about int. med., but want to spend at least 1 month overseas (maybe 2 months) to get a better variety.

I had someone recommend the UK because they have better physical diagnosis skills than US grads do, so this is what sparked my interest.

Anyway, what locations should I try to contact (and who)?

I would need English speaking areas preferably.

I'm looking for any advice, b/c I tried looking in other places, including my school's counselor, but they were useless.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by BatmanMD
Hi, I'm a MSIII from the US, and need some advice on doing an away rotation.

I'm thinking about int. med., but want to spend at least 1 month overseas (maybe 2 months) to get a better variety.

I had someone recommend the UK because they have better physical diagnosis skills than US grads do, so this is what sparked my interest.

Anyway, what locations should I try to contact (and who)?

I would need English speaking areas preferably.

I'm looking for any advice, b/c I tried looking in other places, including my school's counselor, but they were useless.

thanks

-Point your browser to http://www.google.co.uk

-Click on pages for the UK.

-Enter "visiting electives for medical students"

-Hit search

You should find a number of pages...

or try here:
http://www.amsa.org/global/ih/ihopps.cfm

we have lots of students rotate through here from the Uk and US. but, it is not really for the med experience. basically, they want to get school credit for a trip to europe, and it works well for that!

www.medicstravel.co.uk is a quite useful site - it's actually aimed at UK students going on elective, but it's got a UK electives section. There's a book that goes with it that is much better than the website - Medics Guide to Work & Electives Abroad

US amazon

UK amazon

Might be worth trying to track it down.

Basically if you want to do IM (we call it general med) then yo might as well pick where you want to be, find a hospital in the area, look up a consultant and write to them. If it's a teaching trust then it might be easier to go through the medical school associated with the teaching trust.

PM me if I can be of any help.