Current School Counseling student looking to change majors...Phd or MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katm6510

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As stated in my thread title, I am currently a school counseling student about to finish up my first year. A little bit of background information about myself: I have been in college, on and off, since 2009. It took me 7 years to get my undergrad degree in psychology; some of that was due to financial reasons, others due to personal medical issues such as surgery...I digress. I started out as an English major, but when I took my intro psych class during my first year of college, I was fascinated and decided to switch majors. Somewhere along the way, I decided I wanted to go into school counseling. I wanted to work with adolescents in a school environment, because I have always loved school and education, and I thought that this would be a great way to work in a school and combine it with psychology.
During the past few months, I have felt conflicted about this decision. I don't know if it's because I didn't do enough research on what school counselors actually do everyday but...it's really not what I was expecting, based on the course work I have already taken (intro class, group counseling, helping skills, etc.). I'm really much more interested in diagnosis and actually treating mental illness. The work I can do as a school counselor is very limiting, as I am learning.
Anyway, so now I am thinking about pursuing a PhD in clinical psychology, working in either a medical setting or private practice. I also am very interested in research and I know that there is a lot you can do with a PhD in clinical psych. I have also always had a fascination with medicine and how the body works and stuff. My problem was that in high school, I didn't do well in math or science. It was hard for me...looking back I think if I would've studied harder or tried harder, I could've done better, and it was just that I gave up too easily. I was always better at English or history. Needless to say, I didn't take many science or math courses in college. I ended making a B in college algebra, a B in my biology class, and a C in chemistry. But like I said earlier, I did not really apply myself in these courses and I feel like I could've done better, had I gotten help/tutoring.
So what I am trying to decide now, is do I go for my PhD in clinical psych or MD and specialize in psychiatry? I love the thought of pursuing medicine the most. I know I will have to get into a post-bacc program for the science courses, so that's an added year or two on top of 4 years of med school plus residency. My undergrad GPA was a 3.0, so it's not that competitive. The cost of medical school is also very daunting to me, as I already have accumulated about $50,000 in student loans.
Getting into a PhD program will also be difficult with my GPA, below average GRE score, and lack of publication. I presented at a research conference during undergrad, but that is the only research experience I have.
I know this is a lengthy post, but I would appreciate any feedback on what I should do or your own inspiring story if you were in a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems worthwhile for you to spend more time trying to figure out what you want to have your job be like. You don't sound like you have any real sense of what you want for a career aside from 'not school counseling '. Doing therapy in private practice as a psychologist is very different from being a presceiving psychiatrist working at a hospital. If you dont want to treat mental illness, you won't match well with private practice. No matter what you decide, you will likely have to spend some time making yourself competitive via raised GRE, good MCAT, grades for premed classes that see good (plus you need to know the content), research experience, etc.. exactly what you need to do will depend on where you want to go. Those preparation steps won't matter til you know what you wanna do.

Reactions: 1 users
As stated in my thread title, I am currently a school counseling student about to finish up my first year. A little bit of background information about myself: I have been in college, on and off, since 2009. It took me 7 years to get my undergrad degree in psychology; some of that was due to financial reasons, others due to personal medical issues such as surgery...I digress. I started out as an English major, but when I took my intro psych class during my first year of college, I was fascinated and decided to switch majors. Somewhere along the way, I decided I wanted to go into school counseling. I wanted to work with adolescents in a school environment, because I have always loved school and education, and I thought that this would be a great way to work in a school and combine it with psychology.
During the past few months, I have felt conflicted about this decision. I don't know if it's because I didn't do enough research on what school counselors actually do everyday but...it's really not what I was expecting, based on the course work I have already taken (intro class, group counseling, helping skills, etc.). I'm really much more interested in diagnosis and actually treating mental illness. The work I can do as a school counselor is very limiting, as I am learning.
Anyway, so now I am thinking about pursuing a PhD in clinical psychology, working in either a medical setting or private practice. I also am very interested in research and I know that there is a lot you can do with a PhD in clinical psych. I have also always had a fascination with medicine and how the body works and stuff. My problem was that in high school, I didn't do well in math or science. It was hard for me...looking back I think if I would've studied harder or tried harder, I could've done better, and it was just that I gave up too easily. I was always better at English or history. Needless to say, I didn't take many science or math courses in college. I ended making a B in college algebra, a B in my biology class, and a C in chemistry. But like I said earlier, I did not really apply myself in these courses and I feel like I could've done better, had I gotten help/tutoring.
So what I am trying to decide now, is do I go for my PhD in clinical psych or MD and specialize in psychiatry? I love the thought of pursuing medicine the most. I know I will have to get into a post-bacc program for the science courses, so that's an added year or two on top of 4 years of med school plus residency. My undergrad GPA was a 3.0, so it's not that competitive. The cost of medical school is also very daunting to me, as I already have accumulated about $50,000 in student loans.
Getting into a PhD program will also be difficult with my GPA, below average GRE score, and lack of publication. I presented at a research conference during undergrad, but that is the only research experience I have.
I know this is a lengthy post, but I would appreciate any feedback on what I should do or your own inspiring story if you were in a similar situation.
Have you looked researched a Masters in Mental Health Counseling. You can certainly tailor your practicum and internship experiences to work with kids or adults. You will be able to diagnose and treat mental illness. Your training will not be as in depth as a psychologist but through continued training and mentoring you can become a competent clinician by the time you are fully licensed. It is also possible that some of your school counseling classes may transfer, as many of the core courses for both school and mental health counselors are the same. Some schools will house both programs in the same department. My school did. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked with school counselors and it is common to find out that they had an interest in clinical psychology. i think the advice to look into other MS degree options is probably helpful. It is a very difficult and long process to obtain a PhD in clinical psychology and with lower GREs it might not even be a possibility. Be wary of some schools that will not require GREs or research experience and would gladly take your money whether or not you would ever be able to pursue necessary licensure with the degree from their institution.

I was in a similar situation and decided a year into my counseling program to go the clinical psych/phd route with a mediocre undergrad GPA and zero research experience. It took two years of a lot of work before applying but I am now in a fully-funded/accredited clinical psych program so it can be done. If you decide to go that route...

1. Get involved with research, NOW. This is obviously the biggest part. I volunteered in two labs for almost two years and made my goals known. Volunteer for everything, put in the sweat equity, and opportunities to get on projects will arise. I had 6 posters and a pub in progress by the time I applied.

2. Kick ass in your master's program so your grad GPA can help to offset your undergrad GPA.

3. Hire a tutor for the GRE and follow a structured study plan. It took two tries before I had an acceptable score.

Good luck