current residents - how many hours do you put in a week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsinccom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

How many hours do you put in a week at your residency and is PGY-1 usually more hours than PGY-2? I've heard people say it is anywhere from 50-80 hrs/week. I could handle 50-60 but the thought of putting in 60 or more, especially 70-80, is a bit overwhelming.

Members don't see this ad.

so far it's day to day. I imagine some rotations are more intense than others, and you are at the mercy of your patient load, and extra responsibilities at that time.

I don't think I've hit 60 hours a week yet, but my first rotation after orientation was management. Hello 8-4!

Depends on the rotation, I'd say as a PGY-1 I never hit over 50-60h per week. I'm currently in the burn/trauma/surgical ICU and I've put in closer to 70-80h per week. This is more than I did as a PGY-1 but I also have more responsibility - covering the team on my own, in addition to other responsibilities. That being said I don't think I'll be working this many hours during my other rotations as this is well known for being the most intense rotation. Unfortunately as a PGY-2 I also don't get some of the less time consuming rotations (management, drug info).

Members don't see this ad :)
I hit 96 one week as a PGY1!!!! However, my average was probably 55 - 70 for both PGY1 and PGY2 (hematology/oncology/stem cell transplantation), all of course depending on the rotation, and other program specific factors at the time.

I average about 60 hrs/week...some more, some less. Like previous posters, it depends on the rotation. Residency is long hours and a lot of work, but worth it in the end.

Thank you to the four of you for taking the time to respond. I'll likely check back with you later in the year to see if you respond the same as you did now and if there are any others that might be willing to offer their experience.

Thanks again:)

BTW, I don't know how medical residents do it. I've heard that they put in 80hours a week on average unless they are in a dermatology or opthamology residency. I'm glad pharmacy residencies at least appear to allow for some time outside of work.

I usually go in anywhere between 0530 to 0630. My current main rotation begins at 0800, so I'm there early to work up patients before rounds and to work on other projects (for my longitudinal peripheral rotations). My shift is over at 1630, but every Wednesday, I'm there until 1730 or 1800. So, roughly, I put in 10-11 physical hours a day, and then I usually work on stuff at home at night for a couple of hours.

So having kids and completing a residency is out of the question?

no, some people do it. I think a flexible significant other is a requirement.

How about pediatric residencies? I'm thinking about going in to pediatric clinical pharmacy but i don't know how much time i would have to put in every day..
Anyone have any answers? =)

this week I've done 3 12 hour days.

I think this rotation will require a lot of those (internal medicine - we have a lot of turnover, so lots of new patients every morning and we round at 9 so I've been getting there at 6)