Current Moonlighting Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shownomercy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am starting this thread because I was hoping someone could guide me towards a site or study looking at the average rate for moonlighting in internal medicine in 2015. I am a 4th year chief resident credentialed as an attending. I know the offers vary from 40$ to 200$/Hr depending on the job and location. I am coming from Philadelphia and my current hospital is only offering 50$/Hr pre-tax to do admissions, cover observation unit, cover non-teaching simultaneously.

Thank you for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
$50 per hr pretax sounds jacked but I know nothing
I guess I appreciate now a place I interviewed that had moonlighting for $1000 night for community hospital nice suburb overnight mostly in bed
they told me residents were doubling their salary or adding $20K to their gross
not to put salt in the wound or anything

Reactions: 1 users
$50/hour is only worth it if you can do the whole thing sitting down and not talking to anyone else. I wouldn't put my license on the line for that rate.

I have been paid anywhere from $65 (I only did that twice) to $125 an hour as a resident/fellow. Extra coverage in my own clinic (on a day or at a location we don't normally cover) is $175/h.

haha @Winged Scapula that's hilarious
thanks for the perspective on physician wage shrinkage

on my contract the listed hourly wage (I don't know why it said that, as a resident you can't really question the contract just sign it) was $30/hr
(one of our residents did a financial presentation at noon report, very well regarded by the faculty, that did the math with our salary and found it was actually $11/hr after tax and assuming 60 hr work weeks, which you know, is what we actually work :rolleyes:)

right after I saw that I saw that my hospital had an ad for a security guard for $25/hr

I won't lie, every time I hear a code grey go off on a long day, or when I pass the security sitting and laughing together at the end of shift, I gotta say it actually puts a smile on my face. I find it humbling.

haha @Winged Scapula that's hilarious
thanks for the perspective on physician wage shrinkage

on my contract the listed hourly wage (I don't know why it said that, as a resident you can't really question the contract just sign it) was $30/hr
(one of our residents did a financial presentation at noon report, very well regarded by the faculty, that did the math with our salary and found it was actually $11/hr after tax and assuming 60 hr work weeks, which you know, is what we actually work :rolleyes:)

right after I saw that I saw that my hospital had an ad for a security guard for $25/hr

I won't lie, every time I hear a code grey go off on a long day, or when I pass the security sitting and laughing together at the end of shift, I gotta say it actually puts a smile on my face. I find it humbling.

The $50/hour was what I made moonlighting while I was a surgical resident/fellow, not my salary.

Our contracts also had the hourly wage but it was calculated on a 40 hour work week...so it was laughable at best given this was largely before work hour restriction

To be clear, IM chiefs are attendings. I wouldn't give up my nights for twice that.

You should make the same rate as any other nocturnist.

I assume the hospital will pay the lowest rate that they can get people to do the job. If people will do it for $50/hr, then that's the "right" rate. You need to decide whether it's worth it for you. If no one will do it for that rate, they will increase the rate.

$50 is way to low. I was in a NE mid-sized city during residency just a few years ago and it was about $90-$100/hr, plus additional $ per admission.

Our moonlighting rate is $100/hr urgent care and ED fast track. I think it's comparable or a little higher for our rural hospitalist coverage but I'm not in that pool yet as a PGY2. I made $58/hr as a PA so certainly not going to work for that as a resident physician.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hello

I am starting this thread because I was hoping someone could guide me towards a site or study looking at the average rate for moonlighting in internal medicine in 2015. I am a 4th year chief resident credentialed as an attending. I know the offers vary from 40$ to 200$/Hr depending on the job and location. I am coming from Philadelphia and my current hospital is only offering 50$/Hr pre-tax to do admissions, cover observation unit, cover non-teaching simultaneously.

Thank you for any input.

I wouldn't do it for that kind of money. Where I'm at, weekend rates for fellows/chief residents/PGY3's, outside moonlighters, etc. is 140$/hr. 50$/hr is way too low. Would you risk your license coding someone for example for $50 bucks? You can do disability evals for $60-100/assessment, doing a few per hour, comes out to about $1200 per 8 hr day as well. Heck you can do medicare HP's for more than 50$.

I tried to construct some scenario where $50/hr was worth it. Only thing I could come up with would be being the code doc in a small hospital where all you did was run codes (no RRTs, no admits, no cross-cover). $600 to sleep in the hospital would be vaguely reasonable, any additional responsibilities make that pay ridiculously low.

Going rate in my neck of the woods, a somewhat lower CoL area, is $100-$120 an hour in EDs of varying volume and acuity, and for assorted other positions. Some places double that at your peril (marginal nursing staff, little to no backup, far from the hospitals to which you'll be transferring Bad Things).

$50 an hour is way to low.

I'm a resident and the urgent cares we cover pay $70-80, and that is mainly seeing sniffles. Low liability, just how I like it.

Actual patients for $50. You are worth more than that.

Also, you realize you are giving up like 200K to 250K by doing that 4th year right?

"There's a sucker born every minute"

I believe PT Barnum said that.

you're being scammed. an attending hospitalist salary has to be at least $100 per hour. Find out what they're making and don't accept a penny less.

With the interns coming out of their first year and some finally having a chance for moonlighting (and to avoid a new thread).

I've talked with upper levels about their moonlighting, but effectively its a big pool of residents for one place and you only really get 1-2 nights during an entire month of off service rotations. So any other good opportunities out there? Telemedicine? Disability Physicals? Medicare Advantage stuff? Just curious.

lmao 50 an hour
A med student should get more than that

There is no way I'm giving up my precious off hours for less than 100/hr. Our system has way more moonlighting opportunities than eligible residents so we have trouble covering all shifts without stretching ourselves too thin...it's gonna hurt July 1 when our PGY3s graduate and none of the brand new PGY2s are eligible yet...while 2 of our regular moonlighters (me and a buddy) are on teaching service with new PGY1s and can't cover for a month. Lolol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I get 65/hr in urgent care but I'm not the solo provider. What sucks is that I try to give like 10-12 dates and wind up with only 4.

In my IM program, our internal moonlighting picking up midlevel weekend shifts in the ICU (working less hard than our interns a lot of the weekends) rate is $750/day. Officially, 10 hour days, so $75/hr. We tried to get it increased, they declined. Shifts still generally fill up.

External moonlighting I have no idea. I did get permission from the PD if I wanted to pursue it, but I was too lazy to make all of the arrangements.

For some perspective, I make over $50/hr when I work as a pharmacist just sitting there verifying orders.

$75/hr would be my low unless it was basically free money and I did very little or I really needed the money badly. Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do.

Something for you guys to consider: One of the hospitals I work at the IM people moonlight for similar rates 60$/hr i think. They do obs admits essentially. Now they do not need an unrestricted medical license to do this and they use their training license. We still admit to the attending and they just do all the scut bs they would do as a resident but get paid because its extra. So liability wise its prob not as worrisome as you are under your training license.. I guess?

During residency, I would have killed for some decent moonlighting...our program officially 'discouraged' it, so there was nothing available internally and the external moonlighting scene absolutely sucked. There were a couple of urgent cares that some FM residents had tied up completely and various LTACs where you were basically risking your license unless you were an anesthesia resident or pulm/crit fellow as almost everyone was trached/vented...there were some IM residents who were brave/stupid enough to walk into these places to try to make a buck, but I heard about some really hairy situations that were managed poorly by these people.

I'm hoping fellowship is a lot better in this department...**** I'd be thrilled to make $65/hr.

The lowest I've ever done was $65/hour at a psych hospital. In 24 hours I'd usually get 1-2 admissions and 3-4 floor calls. So maybe 4 hours of actual work. The rest of the time I watched Netflix on my tablet. I only took that little money because admissions were only allowed between 10am and 4pm so I was getting paid to sleep for most of my time there.

I currently have a job at $75/hour. I am in my office seeing patients but available for the imaging center next door if there is a contrast reaction. I only accept that little pay because its at the same time as my normal job so its essentially 2 paychecks at once. Plus they cover my malpractice so I don't have to add a rider to my current policy.

I've also done a good bit of urgent care at 3 different locations, all for $100/hour.

I also did disability exams for the state for $100/hr. That one was nice because there was no treatment or anything so malpractice wasn't an issue.

Do some work at a local long-term vent care facility, works out to ~50-55/hr for a 12hr overnight shift. Only reason it's tolerable is only thing we're responsible for is responding to a code or rapid. I'd say I end up having at most 1 code or death pronouncement maybe every 3rd shift. Otherwise get paid to sleep/watch tv/study.

I think our local VA pays close to $110-120/hr for hospitalist type coverage for inpatient admits.

Internal resident/fellow moonlighting at my institution is $60-90/hr (typically, 12 hour shifts) depending on the department. They get gobbled up REAL fast so there's really no need to go up on the rate - the demand is quite high.

Internal resident/fellow moonlighting at my institution is $60-90/hr (typically, 12 hour shifts) depending on the department. They get gobbled up REAL fast so there's really no need to go up on the rate - the demand is quite high.

Yeah, internal moonlighting can pay whatever they want as long as demand is high. Residents (and attendings) willing to drive out here outside of the major metros can basically name their price because people are desperate.