Current M3's: Chosen Specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it'd be very interesting to find out who is planning on applying for what residency next year (as well as your USMLE Step I score, if you feel like sharing). I've followed these boards for a few years and find it very fascinating to see which posters are considering which areas of medicine/surgery.

I guess I'll start:

Specialty: Emergency Medicine
Step I: 255

Members don't see this ad.

Specialty: Internal Medicine
Step I: 202
Location: I want to work somewhere in Northeast Ohio/Western PA

My Step 1 score sucks. But I have plenty of research, and leadership stuff.

Specialty: Derm, I think.
Step I: >250

Members don't see this ad :)
General surgery for me! :thumbup:

anesthesia

step 1 score: ludicrous

Yeah, but for numerous reasons I decided general was a better fit. What are you thinking of doing?

I gotcha. You gonna practice gen surg? Or do you have your sights set on a fellowship beyond that?

I'm still trying to decide between ortho and rads. Odd, I know. I guess I really like anatomy, it just all depends on how I want to use that.

I've had a hard time giving up surgery too, ultimately, I plan to do DVI or NIR because I think minimally invasive procedures are the future. Also, none of the surgical specialties were a perfect fit for me, ortho/plastics didn't have enough medical mgmt, gen surg poor lifestyle + money, don't like microsurgery so that rules out ENT/neuro... I find it hard though because I really like surgery.

Anesthesia
Step 1:>246

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to thank SDN for making me believe that nobody scores below a 240 and that if I score a 240, I will probably be stuck in a mediocre program in an awful location.

I don't know if it is just the people that SDN attracts, gross exaggerations or a combination of both, but I rarely see anyone do average.

I kind of like it. Lights a fire for me right now.

I'd like to thank SDN for making me believe that nobody scores below a 240 and that if I score a 240, I will probably be stuck in a mediocre program in an awful location.

I don't know if it is just the people that SDN attracts, gross exaggerations or a combination of both, but I rarely see anyone do average.

I think it's primarily self-selection as far as who is posting.

Well think about it. This whole thread in a thinly veiled effort for people to brag to a bunch of strangers about their Step score. Followed by the other oh so interesting contribution of what specialty they want. Because, as we all know, it's super interesting and incredibly helpful to know such information about a stranger.

Welcome to medicine.

Well think about it. This whole thread in a thinly veiled effort for people to brag to a bunch of strangers about their Step score. Followed by the other oh so interesting contribution of what specialty they want. Because, as we all know, it's super interesting and incredibly helpful to know such information about a stranger.

Welcome to medicine.

In a forum specifically created for medical students to discuss their clinical rotations and given that this is the time of year where we typically make the decision on our specialty choice, is it really that ludicrous of an idea to make a thread about the topic? It's the biggest decision we'll have made since deciding to go to medical school. People enjoy feeling "a part of" some group, whether it's boy scouts, Democrats, or anesthesiologists, and this is an appropriate medium in which to voice that decision. And not to mention, some of the posters have "known" each other since their pre-allo forum days, and it's kind of cool to see our paths unfold. Also, no one made you read this thread.

As to the Step 1 thing, won't disagree with you there.

In a forum specifically created for medical students to discuss their clinical rotations and given that this is the time of year where we typically make the decision on our specialty choice, is it really that ludicrous of an idea to make a thread about the topic? It's the biggest decision we'll have made since deciding to go to medical school. People enjoy feeling "a part of" some group, whether it's boy scouts, Democrats, or anesthesiologists, and this is an appropriate medium in which to voice that decision. And not to mention, some of the posters have "known" each other since their pre-allo forum days, and it's kind of cool to see our paths unfold. Also, no one made you read this thread.

As to the Step 1 thing, won't disagree with you there.

Let's not insult everyone's intelligence. The motives behind this thread are clear. He finds it fascinating what other people are going into? LOL.

Oh, and 97% of the people on here don't care about YOU. They care about themselves. Notice this thread didn't begin: Hey friends! Tell me what specialties you're going into and what you love about them! I'm so interested in all of you!!!!:love:

No, it began with a bolded Step score and a bolded specialty, like anyone gives a damn.

This is not a good thread to read for those of us that took the step two days ago.... =O!!!! Congratz on those scores though guys, that is A-mazing.

Let's not insult everyone's intelligence. The motives behind this thread are clear. He finds it fascinating what other people are going into? LOL.

Oh, and 97% of the people on here don't care about YOU. They care about themselves. Notice this thread didn't begin: Hey friends! Tell me what specialties you're going into and what you love about them! I'm so interested in all of you!!!!:love:

No, it began with a bolded Step score and a bolded specialty, like anyone gives a damn.

If it irks you so much, why bother commentating, brah? Just go do something else. And I never said people find what I'm doing "fascinating," just that people are excited about what they're going into. Sheesh.

/hijack

I love it.:thumbup:

There's nothing wrong with you guys sharing specialty plans....but you have to admit that this turned into a "show me yours and I'll show you mine" thread pretty fast.

Anyway, there is a huge sample bias on SDN. Lurkers and casual posters should generally ignore all step 1 scores shared on this site.

Welcome to medicine.

haters3.jpg

Jeez, I had no idea this would turn into such a battle of insecurities.

I started this thread because I remember reading all those Step I stories last summer (I didn't post much, but enjoyed reading it nonetheless) and sort of feel like I got to "know" some of the posters on here. It is indeed "fascinating" for me to find out not only how those people (and everyone, really) fared on the big test, but also where everyone sees themselves in a few years. This seemed like a convenient way to learn both. I myself am currently kind of torn between two specialties (one is super-ridiculously competitive), but at the moment at least I'm headed towards EM I think. I was even more curious to see what other SDN members who scored in a similar range as me were choosing, as well as what the Step I scores of other people choosing EM were. I realized ahead of time that by the very nature of this topic, there were bound to be a few Sensitive Sally's who would cry foul; however, I was kind of hoping we could all be big kids about this. I wasn't even going to include my information in this thread, except that I figured if I led by example, others would be more likely to follow. I'm sure that if I had posted a significantly lower Step I score, no one would have raised any issue.

Anyway, if people would like to keep contributing, that'd be great! I can't wait until match day to see where all my classmates are headed (and even what specialty they chose, period), and I feel like this is sort of a variation on that idea. And if you feel that this somehow undermines your achievements as a medical student, feel free to pass on to the next thread.

All the best, everyone.

Last edited:
Maybe it would be more constructive/less flameworthy if people posted WHY they chose their intended speciality. I really don't even see why Step I scores matter for this kind of thread, to be honest.

To the person who decided against ENT, what were the factors? I'm leaning towards it (just finishing M1) and would like to know what turned you off about it/what turned you on about general surgery.

Maybe it would be more constructive/less flameworthy if people posted WHY they chose their intended speciality. I really don't even see why Step I scores matter for this kind of thread, to be honest.

To the person who decided against ENT, what were the factors? I'm leaning towards it (just finishing M1) and would like to know what turned you off about it/what turned you on about general surgery.

His Step score. :laugh:

Maybe it would be more constructive/less flameworthy if people posted WHY they chose their intended speciality.

Aboslutely agree that that would be helpful/interesting. I guess I sort of envisioned that dialogue would evolve from my original premise, but I think if everyone sort of explained off the bat why they chose what they did, it might be of great interest (and possibly help) to others.

I started this thread because I remember reading all those Step I stories last summer (I didn't post much, but enjoyed reading it nonetheless) and sort of feel like I got to "know" some of the posters on here. It is indeed "fascinating" for me to find out not only how those people (and everyone, really) fared on the big test, but also where everyone sees themselves in a few years. This seemed like a convenient way to learn both. I myself am currently kind of torn between two specialties (one is super-ridiculously competitive), but at the moment at least I'm headed towards EM I think. I was even more curious to see what other SDN members who scored in a similar range as me were choosing, as well as what the Step I scores of other people choosing EM were. I realized ahead of time that by the very nature of this topic, there were bound to be a few Sensitive Sally's who would cry foul; however, I was kind of hoping we could all be big kids about this. I wasn't even going to include my information in this thread, except that I figured if I led by example, others would be more likely to follow. I'm sure that if I had posted a significantly lower Step I score, no one would have raised any issue.

Anyway, if people would like to keep contributing, that'd be great! I can't wait until match day to see where all my classmates are headed (and even what specialty they chose, period), and I feel like this is sort of a variation on that idea. And if you feel that this somehow undermines your achievements as a medical student, feel free to pass on to the next thread.

All the best, everyone.

:thumbup:

Applying to either IM or EM. I may apply to both and try to figure out which I like better by Jan/Feb.
Step 1: 240s

In my experience, there isn't a strong correlation between people with high step scores necessarily pursuing a competitive residency. In my class, two people with 250+ (one 275+) are doing fam med and another with 260+ is doing peds.

All the best, everyone.

In my experience, there isn't a strong correlation between people with high step scores necessarily pursuing a competitive residency. In my class, two people with 250+ (one 275+) are doing fam med and another with 260+ is doing peds.

+1.

One of my classmates has a ~250 and is doing FM. I'm sure there are more that scored well and are doing "noncompetitive" residencies, but I just don't really discuss Step I scores with many people in my class.

Edit: Since I forgot to add my own two cents,, I'm deciding between Ortho and Rads currently. I guess I really like anatomy? They're pretty different, and hopefully I'll make a final decision soon.

Rads
Cali (fingers crossed)
Reasons - large variety of diseases/conditions diagnosed or treated, not limited to just one organ system, technology, less social issues than IM, decent fellowship options

Good points:

Not going into:
Peds: I love kids, but hate seeing sick kids.
OB/Gyn: I actually loved this rotation. I would definitely like to be a gyn-onc surgeon. But as a dude, I am generally turned off by the notion of being an ob/gyn. There are excellent male ob/gyns, just not for me.
Psych: Pretty badass field, with some cool patients. But I like managing other types of medical problems.
Neuro: I loved neuro, especially neuro-oncology. But I would rather due IM, neuro was to focused.
Family: To broad based IMO.
Radiology: This was my intended field. But I got unbelievably bored in the reading room. IR is really cool, but I would hate to be DR.

Still in consideration:
Gas: I need to see how I like this during surgery.
Surgery: Neurosurgery is still in consideration, I have a lot of research in it, but the lifestyle just sucks IMO.

Most Likely:
IM: This what I always imagined doing. Amazing variability in problems and you really do feel like you can make a difference. I would go into either: cardio or heme-onc.
EM: Same reasons as IM. Short residency and pretty good lifestyle.

+1.

One of my classmates has a ~250 and is doing FM. I'm sure there are more that scored well and are doing "noncompetitive" residencies, but I just don't really discuss Step I scores with many people in my class.

Edit: Since I forgot to add my own two cents,, I'm deciding between Ortho and Rads currently. I guess I really like anatomy? They're pretty different, and hopefully I'll make a final decision soon.

I was making a similar decision, in the end I think the clincher for me was an interaction between an ortho pgy-3 and a floor nurse in "intermediate care" which is the level between floor status and the ICU. There was a patient who had a hip fx who ended up going to IMC bc he was tachy (hx of afib) and was put on a dilt drip. We rounded and when we were about to leave, the nurse was like, "so, who's primary for this pt now?". Ortho resident, "I don't know... Maybe I'll call the hospitalist and see if they can take them.". It just went w/o saying ortho couldn't manage a pt with afib lol.

Last edited:
Good question.
1) I want to work overseas primarily when I am finished with residency, whether through MSF or another organization is yet to be determined. The way I see it, general surgeons are very well equipped to deal with almost any area of medicine. General surgeons are proficient in trauma, minor/major operations, can manage floor patients and deal with those associated issues, and can take care of ICU patients (not a lot of that going on in the jungle, but the more knowledge/skill you have, the better, right?) I know that I won't be doing AAA repairs or whipples overseas, but I think the confidence and skill set that comes from the well-rounded education that surgery residents receive will serve me well. I do think that there is a role for ENT's overseas, but in my best estimation, the training that general surgery affords is more appropriate.
2) There's stuff that general surgeons do that ENT's don't, and it's the stuff I really really like, such as critical care and trauma. My favorite part of my surgery rotation was the trauma/critical care month I did. I really dig that stuff (and if anyone asks, no, it wasn't the blood/guts and glory trauma that turned me on about it. I really liked rounding on the SICU patients and discussing their physiology and management with the resident. The exciting trauma stuff is cool, but it's so relatively infrequent, especially at my institution, that it wasn't the clincher) and I wouldn't be trained in it or get to do it as an ENT.
3) Chicks.
4) I think I liked ENT too much for the wrong reason. Lifestyle. I say "too much" because I don't think there's anything wrong at all with considering it when making your specialty decision, and you'd be short-sighted not to. However, when people asked me why I liked ENT, it was always the first thing that came into my mind. The actual clinical practice of ENT was always kind of "meh, that's cool I guess" to me.

Just as an aside, it wasn't my Step 1 score. I'm competitive for either field, but at the end of the day I like general surgery more.

Sorry for the novella. Hope this helps.

I like EM for the same reasons for you posted. Trauma surgeons IMO are best suited for international relief. I just can't see myself working as a trauma surgeon in the states. I want to spend more time with my family. I am ashamed to say that lifestyle is playing a pretty large role in my decision making process.

I like EM for the same reasons for you posted. Trauma surgeons IMO are best suited for international relief. I just can't see myself working as a trauma surgeon in the states. I want to spend more time with my family. I am ashamed to say that lifestyle is playing a pretty large role in my decision making process.

EM was another consideration for me given their training, but
a) fibromyalgia
b) no operating
kinda did the deal in.

Rads - More focus on diagnosis/pathology rather than social issues. I'm the typical allopath "treat the disease not the person" lol.

Lots of variety in both modality and pathology. Interaction with essentially all medicine and surgery services. Technological aspects are interesting.

Focus on efficiency during work hours. I wanted a field where my efficiency is rewarded and I was largely the RLS. Work harder, get out earlier/make more money in a more linear manner.

Derm- fingers crossed
Step 1: >260

Awesome. I'd like to apply for derm, but I guess I'm scared sh*tless about how competitive it is. Maybe part of it is also that SDN makes it feel like everyone else is a PhD/270+/20 pubs/Olympic athlete kind of person.

I will say, everyone I've ever interacted with in our derm department (residents, faculty, administration) are ridiculously nice, pleasant people.

I considered not posting my score because it seemed a little silly, but the OP asked and I don't care if people know. Call me an exhibitionist.

As for "why anesthesia", I realized that I like taking care of all types of people. I love the atmosphere of the OR, especially when I can scratch my nose. I like acuity, procedures, and calming people down. I think titrating physiology is baller. Additionally, anesthesiology was the only field where I felt I would be happy doing simply what the residency trained me to do, without fellowships. I'll spare you the more detailed explanation since I don't want to put you to sleep (pardon the pun), but if you actually want to know, feel free to PM me.

For me: Anesthesia or radiology, possibly psych.

Don't like rounding. Don't like writing long notes. Don't want to deal with social work BS. (IM is out)
Want to have a life outside of the hospital (surgery is out)
Don't like the muskuloskeletal or neuro systems all that much (Neuro and PM&R are out)
Don't really like dealing with alcoholics or drug seekers, and I don't wanna work too many nights or weekends or holidays (EM is out)
Hated and despised ObGyn rotation (ObGyn is out, EM and FM less likely).
Don't like the skin (derm is out).
Hated histology (path is out).

RadOnc is badas* but I don't wanna just deal with cancer all the time. Pediatrics was decent but got kind of repetitive with all the URI's.

For me: Anesthesia or radiology, possibly psych.

Don't like rounding. Don't like writing long notes. Don't want to deal with social work BS. (IM is out)
Want to have a life outside of the hospital (surgery is out)
Don't like the muskuloskeletal or neuro systems all that much (Neuro and PM&R are out)
Don't really like dealing with alcoholics or drug seekers, and I don't wanna work too many nights or weekends or holidays (EM is out)
Hated and despised ObGyn rotation (ObGyn is out, EM and FM less likely).
Don't like the skin (derm is out).
Hated histology (path is out).

RadOnc is badas* but I don't wanna just deal with cancer all the time. Pediatrics was decent but got kind of repetitive with all the URI's.

You don't like social work, drug seekers, or alcoholics, yet you are considering psych?

You don't like musculoskeletal or nervous systems, yet you are considering radiology?

Sounds like anesthesia by process of elimination!

I can deal with the alcoholics and drug seekers, as long as they're not swinging at me at 3am or demanding that "only vicodin works." :D But perhaps you're right, maybe psych isn't for me.

I don't have to like the neuro or MSK physical exam to like looking at a brain MRI. I have no problem learning about these systems.

Bleh... we'll see what happens.

I can deal with the alcoholics and drug seekers, as long as they're not swinging at me at 3am or demanding that "only vicodin works." :D But perhaps you're right, maybe psych isn't for me.

I don't have to like the neuro or MSK physical exam to like looking at a brain MRI. I have no problem learning about these systems.

Bleh... we'll see what happens.

So you don't like doing physical exams. That's fair. But before you choose a specialty, you should figure out what you LIKE about it, not just what you don't like about everything else.

ENT - absolutely love the breadth of pathology and procedures, relatively healthy patient population, and found my personality really fit well with others in the field

I would also consider urology, but I just don't feel like touching penises all day long and my friends would never let me hear the end of it.

Other fields that I was really considering but decided against:

Neurosurgery - liked the pathology and procedures, hated dealing with chronic/ICU patients and the modest outcomes, was really turned off by the personalities of residents/attendings... I think it was more the idea of being a neurosurgeon that made me consider it, I just don't love it that much to do it

GI - only liked GI and nothing else within the scope of IM, ultimately decided that 3 years of endless rounding just wasn't worth the price to pay

I am ashamed to say that lifestyle is playing a pretty large role in my decision making process.

Why is this a source of shame? :confused: While saying that you don't care at all about patients, and only about $$$, may be a legitimate source of shame, saying that your life outside of medicine matters to you isn't something to be ashamed of. At least, in my opinion.

Why is this a source of shame? :confused: While saying that you don't care at all about patients, and only about $$$, may be a legitimate source of shame, saying that your life outside of medicine matters to you isn't something to be ashamed of. At least, in my opinion.

I got drilled by an attending when I told him that I decided that I wanted to spend more time at home. This was literally a few weeks after I found out my wife was pregnant. I feel like as med students, if we are to admit openly that lifestyle is a major factor in our decision making process, we are deemed lazy.

I got drilled by an attending when I told him that I decided that I wanted to spend more time at home. This was literally a few weeks after I found out my wife was pregnant. I feel like as med students, if we are to admit openly that lifestyle is a major factor in our decision making process, we are deemed lazy.

While I may not necessarily come right out and tell an attending that I'm taking lifestyle factors into strong consideration, I don't think that you should feel ashamed that a good lifestyle outside of medicine matters to you. I certainly don't think that you should be ashamed of wanting to spend more time with your wife and children! Anyone who makes you feel ashamed for wanting to spend more quality time with your family is not being fair to you.

Everyone's priorities are different. For some people, lifestyle matters less, for others, it matters more. Neither is wrong.

Depends on the attending. I have been explicitly encouraged by some to consider what I want out of life besides medicine, and choose accordingly.

Medical students, by and large, are surrounded by other medical students who continuously perpetuate the "you're a horrible person for not wanting to devote 30 hours a day to saving dying African babies" if the issue of preserving a reasonable lifestyle is brought up. I won't launch into the tired discussion of how medicine is one of the only fields in which having anything but Mother Theresa-esque ambitions earns you castigation from your colleagues and the public, but I'm sure we all get the idea.

It's the 500lb gorilla in the corner that no one wants to talk about.

I, for one, applaud Dr.VanNostran for having the sense to realize that it is possible to enjoy a fulfilling career in medicine AND still maintain a desirable quality of life.