Current Central California Pay? Is the CPJE still worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpic007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for feedback on the current wages in Central California...
I have heard some retails there are now under 68-70/hr? Anyone know if guys there still routinely hitting 200+?

Looking to capstone my retail career but not sure if Cen Cal is the place...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would consider whether you'd want to live in the dusty armpit of California

Reactions: 1 user
There is a pharmacy school there called AUHS I think? It is one of those new ones that popped up few years ago among others. Job market outlook probably isnt as good I assume

Members don't see this ad :)
$65-75 sounds about right. CVS pays about that range ($68 to start), and this areas close to the coast.

Not worth coming for $2-3 increase and 2-3x housing cost. Unless you wanna work in BFE to get $5 more, then there is really no point coming to CA. You might as well go to Texas or Florida to "enjoy" 115F weather.

Yea, wag and rad cut $7-10 pay for new hires lmao. You can work for CVShlt tho. Don't know how much they pay for new hires. A year ago before all the pay cuts, my new grad friend got 65 and some change as manager in Riverside and his staff at 72/hr there lol. He couldn't get a job at oc sd or la.

Don’t forget the high state income tax which may negate any increase in pay.

Reactions: 3 users
$65-75 sounds about right. CVS pays about that range ($68 to start), and this areas close to the coast.

Is that 68 for new grad staff? Would be coming over as experienced...have had cvs and pic experience..., would take managers spot for more $.

Not worth coming for $2-3 increase and 2-3x housing cost. Unless you wanna work in BFE to get $5 more, then there is really no point coming to CA. You might as well go to Texas or Florida to "enjoy" 115F weather.

Yea, wag and rad cut $7-10 pay for new hires lmao. You can work for CVShlt tho. Don't know how much they pay for new hires. A year ago before all the pay cuts, my new grad friend got 65 and some change as manager in Riverside and his staff at 72/hr there lol. He couldn't get a job at oc sd or la.

I am aiming for the coveted 112.5$ hourly OT rate though. I am thinking in BFE CA there still must be some guys doing 112.$ OT
3 shifts a check (8x3x112.5)x26 payperiod=70,200 OT plus base at $75 or 156000...total for 226200 to be taxed at CA rate...

Don’t forget the high state income tax which may negate any increase in pay.

I played around with calculator on CA.gov, it cannot be right. RPH paying close to 1K a month to tax...

Is that 68 for new grad staff? Would be coming over as experienced...have had cvs and pic experience..., would take managers spot for more $.

I am aiming for the coveted 112.5$ hourly OT rate though. I am thinking in BFE CA there still must be some guys doing 112.$ OT
3 shifts a check (8x3x112.5)x26 payperiod=70,200 OT plus base at $75 or 156000...total for 226200 to be taxed at CA rate...

I played around with calculator on CA.gov, it cannot be right. RPH paying close to 1K a month to tax...
No company wants to pay OTs unless they have to. With the saturation, good luck if you can get 1 OT shift a month.

Are you gonna cry to them if they give you many OTs one year then 0 til you die? If you are OK with that expectation, then you can come.

When I made 240k long ass time ago (when OTs was unlimited), I paid close to 80k to taxes. Nowadays, I get email once a month telling PT people needs hours, take some days off lmao...

Last edited:
I've only worked more than 87 hours (nominally.. meh) in a pay period only 3 times in the last 83 pay periods. To get significant OT have to drive at least 100+ miles and/or be "lucky" with human disasters like the Northern California fires the last two years

And yeah anyone single making 170 or more will pay almost 1k in California state tax monthly even if they don't max out 401(k)