CURRENT CARRIBEAN DOCS or even KIMBERLY !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dknykid1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone

i was just wondering. I got into Ross. But i'm also thinking of doing research every summer at this university's medical school. Does doing research help me out at all when it comes time for attaining a residency, especially since I'll be a foreign grad? i mean obviously, the stuff interests me too, so thats why i'm doing it. but does it look good?

I'm hoping that it will. what do you guys think?
later

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe any research is conducted at Ross. The faculty are brought in solely to teach. Correct me if I'm wrong

what i meant was that I'll be doing research the summer before going to Ross, here in the states. I also plan on doing research whenever I can in med school (at the same place here in the states..whenever I'm not studying my ass for USMLEs).

do you think this would "look good" ??

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be very smart. Will make your cv look good. Depending upon which field you end up choosing, research can make or break you. For things like IM, peds, FP it won't matter but to have a chance at competetive fields research will help (less so than awesome step scores).

Let me tell you as an IMG( successful one)....been there done that. I too had this big idea about research when I started. Let me tell you...for IMG it is scores scores scores and then US experience. Research only matters if you want to get into research oriented programs....but these have enough US grads with research, many times MD/PhDs. Throughout my interviews nothing was asked about research...even at the best programs....see because any above average person can do research given the facilities. They want scores....thats the only way they can compare you with others. Interest in research with 1-2 publications is more than enough....there is by the way not enough that you will know in medschool to be an asset to research dept. unless you got your Phd too. Some good programs even smirk at people who talk too much about research in the interviews and show some piddly publication in anunknown journal...I remember in one interview there was this guy with below average scores and some book he had published in a 3rd world country on earthquake victims, nay they were not impressed and postions were offered to the best score...thats how it is. If you publish in JAMA, BMJ, Lancet, NEJM etc....you make an impression. If you publish in the annals of Ross University....good luck. Just study very hard for the MLE....a good score is more powerful than 10 publications for an IMG( trust me). I know a guy who spent three years in research before finiding a spot cos he has poor scores. Publish 1-2 papers to indicate your interest in research but never at the expense of scores.

ALWAYS REMEMBER THE ORDER OF PRIORITY FOR IMG IS

1 SCORES
2 US CLINICAL EXP.
3 RESEARCH

•••quote:•••Originally posted by halothane:
•Let me tell you as an IMG( successful one)•••••Halothane - Thanks for the post. Do you mid if I ask what med school you went to and what type of doctor you are now? Thanks for your imput.

Ben

1 SCORES
2 US CLINICAL EXP.
3 RESEARCH•••••I emphatically agree with this. Although I'm still a med stud (also Caribbean), I too came to decide long ago that as an IMG, Step 1 & 2 scores (in that order), U.S. clinicals, stellar LORs from U.S. docs, a glowing personal statement, and of UTMOST importance if and when you should get the opportunity... flawless, sincere, confident, and assertive interview skills are an IMGs ticket to a good residency. Let's hope this formula works for me... I'll let you know next year around this time :p ...

Agree with most of this thread... Definitely cream the Step I, while Step II may be important if you didn't do well on Step I and need to show some strength, remember most AMGs haven't even taken Step II when they interview so PDs don't often look at Step II, I had average Scores better in Step II, but what really helped me was my LORs, every interview I had they were discussed in length, two of my letters were extremely well written and by heads of the Dept. so when you do your rotations work you butt of and impress the Chief. (however do not suck up!!)It opened doors for me. I matched with my top program and in Surgery. Really looking forward to the next 4/5 years. Best of Luck!!!

Yep - these guys are right. Do research IF IT INTERESTS you. While some of the academic programs I interviewed at were interested in my work, this is the result of nearly 10 YEARS of research and publications, not a few summers here and there.

Scores, LORs, and US clinical experience are MUCH MUCH more valuable to you come residency placement time than research - assuming you aren't PI on something in some big name journal.

Best of luck.

IMGs greatly benefit from taking step 2 before interviews. I tell this from personal experience. I completed approximately half my interviews with only a step 1 score( stellar).....99. Still a lot of people asked me if I had my step 2 and some even asked for CSA. Infact some of my friends who had taken step 2 and CSA had more intervews though they had much lower scores. These interviews came rolling in once I got my step 2 and CSA....at the last moment. Besides I began getting pre match offers only after I got my step 2( which by gods grace was as good as step 1). This is simply because a lot of FMG from non carribean programs....I mean non US IMGs who are like sometimes board certified in the specialities they are applying for have everything ready with ECFMG certification even before they apply( some even have step 3). When the program coordinators at some places are told that ECFMG certification is a must for interview they filter out all IMG applications that do not match the criteria. There are some very good programs..like Wash U, Cleveland, NYU and a few community programs where the PD does look at all the applications apparently( at least in my case), they call FMGs with good step scores even if they are not done all the tests. I am sure of this....because i did not get intervews from places like U Arkansas till I had step 2 but had interviews from Wash. U, NYU, Cleveland Clinic with just a step 1.

Its best to be done with all exams to get as many interviews as one potentially can. Aim to be done with both steps by september of the year you are applying at the least. This applies only to IMG.

Thanks ppl for responding.

Halothane... congrats on your board scores... that truly is a US-IMG's ticket back to a decent residency. I got a similar Step 1 score and am hoping to do equally well on Step 2. I think I know where you Matched--it's warm with lots of women right :wink: ? I'd love to join you there next year... drop me a line when you get a chance at [email protected]... I'd appreciate your help...

Dr_Cuts

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rsk77:
•I don't believe any research is conducted at Ross. The faculty are brought in solely to teach. Correct me if I'm wrong•••••Smolanoff in the Biochem department does some research... but, (as I'm aware) there is little to no opportunity for student involvement. Besides, if you have time to do research with the accelerated schedule and long class and study hours, you're probably gonna fail your course work anyway. For all intents and purposes, this is a straight, didactic-based program with the corequisite lab work.

1 SCORES
2 US CLINICAL EXP.
3 RESEARCH
••••While I agree with this, I would also add: 1b CONNECTIONS. Never underestimate the power that connections can have for your future medical career. Often, who you know is as important as what you know.