Current Audiology Student Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AudNaples

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would just like to welcome any questions anyone might have about entering an AuD program this fall. I am currently completing my first year in a program and certainly had tons of questions before beginning my first year. Please contact me with any questions or concerns. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for offering advice/info!

The first one that comes to mind is:

What kind of equipment did you have to buy as a first year?

Hi!
First year students don’t need to purchase any audiologic equipment. Everything you need for class and clinic will be provided by PCO. You only need to get the basic school supplies such as notebooks, three whole punch, multi-color ink pens, etc. I would also find a very sturdy bag for your books and make sure you have a computer with internet access at home. I look forward to meeting you in the fall!! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As for a sturdy bag, I'll plug:

http://www.baileyworks.com/ (AWESOME build quality, though pricier than stuff you'd find at a regular store)

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm (Great build quality, a bit more selection than BWs)

Both of these bags are the gold standard for messengers (they use/abuse their bags and they still hold up). My next bag will probably be a BW bag, though I've had my eye on the Timbuk2 Laptop Messenger for a bit. I currently use a handcrafted leather messenger bag that scores high on style, but less on functionality and wear/tear.

If you want a bit more sophistication, Kenneth Cole makes a great leather portfolio/briefcase bag that is rock solid. Thick leather, great straps. I've had it for 6+ years and it is still going strong. The only downside is that it only holds smaller laptops, and it is pricey ($300-$400ish). They have less expensive options for $100-$150, which put them in the price range of the above bags.

-t

Although it is true that all the equipment is typically provided, you may want to pick up an otoscope. It will allow you to practice on friends or family and get comfortable with what you are looking at. Also, if your clinic that you are in has anything other than a Welch Allyn MacroView, then I would recommend picking one up. The difference in clarity seems to be night and day when comparing it to other standard otoscopes. The only thing that comes close is a video-otoscope connected to an LCD monitor. That is also a night and day difference when compared to the same video-otoscope connected to a 13" CRT. Welch Allyn also offers student discounts.

I'm curious-- what has got you into audiology? While I don't have questions for you yet about your first year, I am curious as to how you came to choose audiology as your field and what lead you to it. Why did you choose audiology as opposed to speech pathology? Is there a particular group that you are interested in?

I apologize for the delay in a response. I was actually brought into the field from a personal experience in my family. My youngest brother was diagnosed growth hormone deficient. He was delayed in all developmental areas, including speech and language. Once therapy with a speech and language pathologist began, the family could see improvements almost immediately. I received my undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders. I liked the science of audiology more than speech pathology. I am very happy with my decision. Please contact me if you have any other questions :)

Hi i'm currently a first year student in audiology and i was wondering if anyone knows a good site for exam tips. I'm trying to find a site that gives me examples of exam questions with their answers. If not then can u tell me how u would answer a typical audfiology exam question in order to get full marks. Thankyou.

what is the GRE and MCAT average to get accepted? I want to go to Nova or any school in florida. thanks for your help.

Hi,
I am applying to programs now. What program did you choose and why?

Hi,
I am applying to programs now. What program did you choose and why?

The program I chose had a combination of: being affordable, being somewhat close to home, having great clinical facilities in house, as well as great contacts in the field, and faculty doing research in areas I hold interest in. Not to mention, my undergrad Audiology professors at PSU know most of the faculty at the school I'm at now, so it came highly recommended. Also, my program offering an optional concentration in Intraoperative Monitoring didn't hurt either.