Curious what Jobs and Salaries Did you give up for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good thread idea.

Military Officer (not in combat): (approx 40K (includes benefits i.e. housing, and health))

Military Officer (in combat): (approx 50-60K (tax free))

Members don't see this ad.

Film post-production in Los Angeles. $150k-200k/ year.

I really feel I have nothing to give up and everything to gain by becoming a doc. In terms of salary, I don't think I'll ever really know what I could have made as an art historian . . . I was leaning towards academia rather than museum, gallery, etc. work, so not a ton (not that there's a ton in museum or gallery work either)!

I may be giving up a few school-less years of life, but I was at a crossroads where I could either have gone on to get a PhD (which would have taken about 7yrs on top of my MA, give or take a little depending on pace) or do something totally different with my life (and presumably more fulfilling than studying objects). I chose the latter and here I am, two years later, applying to med school.

I will definitely have loans where I would have had none, though. As an art history PhD, I would have been fully funded with a stipend or TAship of about $1300/mo (which was more than plently for a nice life in St. Louis). Oh well - time for my hubby to be the one working and for me to be the one in school. The day where we will both be working will be a monumental one. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Emergency Medicine PA, 100k, 8 yrs of practice......time to elevate my game

Reactions: 1 user
Regional Director of a Merchant Service Banking Sales force

150k per year - 6 wks vacation - full benefits - only 28 :)

It does not matter how much you make if you hate what you do!

Hopfully Bryn Mawr will let me in :)

AMEN!!!

Let's see....What will I be giving up?

34,000/yr (bookkeeper/accountant - not CPA)
living paycheck to paycheck and many times falling behind in paying bills
2 weeks vacation
crappy insurance
preparing physician groups' financial statements
payroll for physician groups
accounts payable for physician groups
great coworkers and a great boss

Actually, I think it would be great to leave as an employee here and come back as a client! :D (But, that all depends on what specialty I choose - our clients are emergency physician groups, radiology groups, and anesthesiology groups only.)

Outpatient PT $75K...like the PA said: Want to elevate my game.

Self employed, my income depended on the year - 1991 I think it was something like $70K. 1996 was something like $184K. 4 weeks vacation a year (I had a great boss), worked about 25-30 hours per week.

I did not hate it, but wanted to do more. I think a person should have a knack for knowing what it is they can do if they really have to exert themselves and do that - their life should be maximum effort for the biggest things they can. I know for some medical school etc is rather easy - the whole process for me has been difficult, and I would have it no other way. I want to set an example for my 4 children, that hard work + passion makes one alive.

I agree. When I finished college a few years ago, I was thrilled to get a job making $35,000. It was more than enough. I do understand Panda Bear's point; I certainly wouldn't want to raise a family on 50K/year, especially if I'm committing 10+ years to education and training. But then again, I'm not one of those selfless kids who say they'd go through all the training needed to become a doctor even if they had to work for free. Screw that.

When I was "a kid" not so long ago, MD training seemed too much like "the Man" would be in charge of my life. It was too rigid, controlled, etc. Then I became a teacher....the Man and I are good friends now.

My current salary is just under $40k, I get 9wks leave and 50% off tuition for my son. Benefits aren't awesome (private school) but there are many perks -lots of good snacks :) gifts, hugs from very short people.

I'm giving up not so much the job as the opportunity to micromanage my son's childhood, which I think is best for both of us :D

A little more than that actually.....started @ just over 80k in 1999, moved up quickly after. I've met alot of PA's who make alot less...I negotiate well....

Haha, welcome to the club, there's quite a few of us around....
Of course I typically have to kill myself to get close to $100k, 180hr/month or more...blech.
The scary part is the idea of not making money for the next 7-8 yr....yikes :eek:

Emergency Medicine PA, 100k, 8 yrs of practice......time to elevate my game

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am accepted, I will be leaving the field of medical technology. Work FT nights, PT evenings, gross +/- $60,000. As a federal employee, I have amazing benefits but I need a change.

Software entrepreneur, variable income, ranging between $25k/year and coming home to the electricity turned off to the low-mid six figures where I was able to establish my liquor collection of rare and old scotches, wines, and cognacs. Some days were the best days of life when the sun was shining and a new customer would lay down a down payment on a new project and some were hell when we had to fire staff members or major clients defaulted on substantial invoices. It was one big rollercoaster, always a few years from early retirement and a few weeks from bankruptcy.

Personally I think running a company (any company of any size) as your primary source of income (self employment) develops parts of oneself and provides an outlook on the morality and ethics of business one can never understand or see any other way. It gives real prespective to the employer/employee relationship, when one is an employer and hires their first employee.

At this point though, I'd like to get involved in a sector whose primary focus is making the world a better place. The tech sector has largely become 'the electronic entertainment' sector which has been a bit disillusioning.

So.... the apps are off, let's see what happens.

Best of luck fellow non-trads!

-=Raistlin

$3500/week, seasonal contract type work. Potential to take over a family business. Cadastral land surveying in rural Alaska. I'm sick of having wet feet.

I am going to be leaving my job as a School Counselor when I get into med school. I make about $50k/year- that includes the extra month I work over the summer and some extra pay I get for doing special projects.

The hours are great 7:30-3:30 and a lot of vacation time (2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week for Spring Break, 2 months over the summer plus all of the major holidays).

Web application developer with a salary around 50K.

Motivation? I love the problem solving however, I hate sitting on my butt staring at a computer screen all day. I realized this when I actually started looking forward to customers calling to tell me something was broken.

That it totally an oversimplification because 9/11, the Tsumani in Indian ocean and all kinds of other factors went into it, but the simple fact is that I need to be digging out the causes and finding the solutions of people problems, and dealing with the impersonal world of computers all day.

Same, gave up an opportunity to work for a three letter gov't agency near D.C. for $70K, in computer tech field.

Television news reporter/weekend anchor. When I turned in my notice, my boss offered me the nightly 6 p.m. anchor slot. My parents are still questioning my decision to turn it down.

I wasn't making nearly as much as some of you though!

What size market were you in? Hope this wasn't already answered. I just went straight to reply after reading.

Edit: very old post…

I'm a med-surg/resp floor RN making around 40k. I'd love to move on to the ED soon while taking classes. My gf is a news reporter in a size 60 market, hopefully in less than 2 years we will be in a size 14. Not sure about anchors... I'm sure the ones that are in top markets make good money for the work they do, but news reporters seem to make nothing and are expected to do it all.

Last edited:
I was making around 50k as a manufacturing chemist with a lot of potential for upward mobility, especially if I had continued and completed my BS in biochemistry.
Had started out there less than 5 years before as a temp making something south of 35k....

Worked as public school teacher in Japan, started at 30k, ended at 40k

+60k as a corporate food scientist in R&D for the largest food corporation in the world. Jumped ship before my promotion, and even bigger $$ doing less was going to happen, making walking away an act of sheer will power. Had I stayed w/ a redheaded clown as my boss, easy 6-fig job doing almost nothing (like my bosses).

Fast forward. -$226k! That's debt people! Interest accruing while in school (per Uncle Sam's email to me) = $39/day

The light at the end of the med school tunnel is getting brighter. But I have a building-less/house-less mortgage on me!! That's the fact for us non-wealthy/trust fund wannabe doctors! Good luck!

Most recently, a job as full time UPS driver. Hard work with lots of OT, so salaries can easily go into the 80K range after 3 years of putting in your time. I left that after about a year for a basic desk job for much less so I could MCAT study and interview. It paid off, but it was a tough call notheless.

Before that, the hardest thing was turning down a job as manager at a golf course for 45k with excellent benefits in 2011, and a career in law enforcement in 2012 (35K plus OT to 50K, starting. Never took either, because it was post-bac or job, and I took the post bac. Hello medical school 2014.

I supposedly have the 4th Best Job in America per CNN (http://money.cnn.com/pf/best-jobs/2012/snapshots/4.html). I make about 100k currently (have all the usual benefits, but no pension). I'm not yet in medical school. Looking forward to putting the MCAT behind me in April and starting in school

My girlfriend is a 2nd year surgery resident now and gave up a job as a clinical research coordinator making about 50k (a job I used to have back in the day).

Payroll/HR. $32K. Not a lot of money, but everyone still thought I was crazy to let it go because I only had a GED and I worked for a school system so I had great benefits. I do not miss it, though. Cubicle work is lonely!

Enlisted military - 25K

City firefighter/paramedic - 70K

Government contractor firefighter/paramedic in the middle east - 110K (tax free)

Was working at a hedge fund 100k + per year.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I gave up Biotech research, ~50k/yr in MN...

Even though this is an old thread..

Process Engineer. 85k right out of college, great 401k + 15%/yr ESOP, excellent health benefits and 4 weeks vacation a year. Eventually, though, money doesn't motivate you if you aren't truly being fulfilled by what you do every day (at least, that is certainly the case with me). It is going to be weird being broke again, but I don't remember life being "awful" when I was broke in college, so it should be just fine.

No kids. Married, but no plans for kids. Husband planning to attend law school when I start residency.

The short answer: I'm in the equine import and sales industry (show jumpers). I can net anywhere between $25,000 and $250,000+/year depending on how the chips fall.

The long answer: I won't be giving up much of anything. I own a sport horse farm and we import, compete, and sell show hunters and jumpers (and the occasional dressage horse when we get a youngster who decides jumping isn't an option!). I currently live on the farm but I have a team who will continue to manage operations should I need to go out of state for medical school. Regardless, I will continue to take my income from sales and the rental of a portion of the property - which, thankfully, goes for an absolute premium during the winter circuit - so either way, I'll be able to pay the bills.

I'm really hoping that I get into my state university where I'm pursuing my MPH; it's 21 minutes from my (very rural) farm to the (relatively large) city and it would allow me to continue to compete my horses on a semi-regular basis as one of the three major winter circuits on the east coast is less than 10 minutes from my doorstep. It would also be the only conceivable way I could ride regularly during med school. Any other situation would require me to board a horse or two in full training and anywhere worth training is $1,200/month/horse at the base.

My income varies wildly with my overhead, current stock, and the economy. If I buy right, import on a full pallet (meaning that all the slots on the flight are taken), can deadhead the horse from Miami (if they're coming from South America) or Newburgh, NY (if they're coming from Europe), and the horse arrives on the farm ready to jump the 1.20+ or cruise around the pre-greens in a major national competition with an amateur? I could net as much as 60K or more in one sale. If, on the other hand, I find something that seems to have the *it* factor, pay - say - 15 or 20K Euros more for that special something, import on a half pallet (or import something large, or a particularly difficult stallion, or what have you), have extended quarantine due to a fever or cough, have to pay full-boat for shipping, and then come to find out that the horse needs 3-6 months of flatwork before it can even look at a jump again? I may end up losing money.

There's also an enormous amount of overhead in this industry (farm purchase - I'm VERY lucky to own my place outright - taxes, hay, grain, supplements, shoeing, dentist, vet, chiropractor, masseuse, pro-rider, tractor, truck, and trailer purchase and maintenance, farm vehicle purchase and maintenance, supplies, grooms, farm manager, shippers, entry fees, stall fees at competitions...the list goes on and on and on and on) so my monthly bills can be close to - or even in excess of - 20K in a MONTH. So in order to really make a living doing what I do the way that I do it, I have to move a lot of stock or keep my barn relatively empty. During the "off season" (I'm not in a position to go north during the summer ATM), I try my best to get my farm down to just my two personal show horses. During circuit, I can have as many as 10 horses on the property.

All that being said, I have been riding and competing since I was 2. If I wasn't so dang breakable and I wasn't so attached to the idea of a) going into medicine and b) having some semblance of job security/401K/benefits package/etc., I would stay in this industry indefinitely. I'm very good at what I do. I have (and have sold) some incredibly nice horses. I have a keen eye for talent and a head for business, but I will say that my heart can get in the way sometimes. It can be difficult to see a horse you've brought along from a 3 year old with 30 days to a successful amateur owner hunter winning with it's new owner. But it is also very rewarding.

I know I'm going to miss spending all day in britches with hay in my hair and mud on my boots. I'm definitely going to miss having some of the most quiet, awesome co-workers around (y'know, unless it's mealtime), but I've wanted to go into medicine for as long as I can possibly remember and I know that ultimately I'll be able to have my cake and eat it too ;)

Old thread, but I'll play.

This was 5 years or so ago, but my salary was in the 65k range and I was doing work on the side that was variable but around 100k/year.
Looking back, it sure was a nice setup. Steady job with good hours and benefits + a side gig I enjoyed that let me push my income as far as I wanted to. On a per hour basis, I'll probably never do better in medicine.
Sigh...

Just starting my pre-med reqs this spring but when I apply in 3+ years I'll be leaving $105K/yr (not including stock, free food, tons of other benefits, etc) working on internet policy at a BIG tech company.

Uh, Hospice RN, Nurse manager around 50 to 60K a year.

But I will renew my RN Lic forever! LOL

How's it go RNMD or MDRN LOL ( just kidding MD when I get it).

Same here RN now making about the same as you and plans to keep my license active for life. :=|:-):

Currently working as a lab tech at a major clinical lab company making ~44k. I have the potential to increase my income by 50%-70% to 65-80K in 18months if I choose to ditch med school and get my CLS license. I thought I was insane to leave such financial "security" and commit myself to 7-12+ years of slavery and 400k of debt until I read some posts on this thread. I feel better now.

Same here RN now making about the same as you and plans to keep my license active for life. :=|:-):

Indian,
Did you consider the CRNA path? If so, is there a reason that you didn't pursue that instead?

Respiratory therapist at a large academic medical center here. I make 70k base, with pretty much unlimited overtime potential. It's easy to clear 100k a year in my department if you put in 60 hours every week, even more if contracts are being offered (You commit to 64 hours of overtime over a four week period in exchange for a $1600 bonus on top of your OT pay- at my salary I'd net almost exactly 135k a year if I did a contract every 4 weeks and worked 60 hour weeks). Despite the fact that the money is fantastic for what I do, I have a feeling that if insurance payments tighten up my department will take a hit and there will be some layoffs. It's just too good to last, and I've seen similar happen at other hospitals in the past.

Plan to keep my RRT license active as a matter of pride through and after med school. I earned my credentials, and I intend to keep them.

Someone needs to be investigated for necromancy, this thread died so long ago that whomever started it could be finishing up their residency right now lol.

Last edited:
consultant: corporate messaging. $150k plus bennies. starting dental school next year.

right now, the thing i miss most is not working on the weekends...

Production supervisor. $55k.

I worked my way up to this over 5 years - haven't even finished undergrad.

Good thread idea.

Military Officer (not in combat): (approx 40K (includes benefits i.e. housing, and health))

Military Officer (in combat): (approx 50-60K (tax free))
Thank God pay has jumped up significantly! Then again, being prior-enlisted, I make quite a bit more as a Captain than does most of my peers.
Pulled in $97K for the year. Saving up to prepare to be a broke student again.

back in college, i gave up my med school plans for 6 years as a quantitative trader at an investment bank, salary eventually reaching $180k.
......too bad i just got laid off. time to go back to my med school dreams!

Rx store manager (not a pharmacist) approximately $85,000 annual salary.

I am a PA (cardiology/primary care) giving up 110k to go to school for more autonomy and for the chance to do some research and/or teach in the future. I have only met one other PA who went to medical school. Are there any others out there? Or perhaps NPs currently practicing medicine?

Journalist, 10 years. I started moonlighting as a CNA for the cheap health benefits, and I discovered I was more passionate about my moonlighting job than I was about my day job. Made about $40K, so residency will actually be a raise.

Another CLS joining the mix. I've been doing this for about six years, 3 in the blood bank and 3 in the core lab. Working 30 hours a week with weekend night shift differential puts me at about 48k, new gig will be about 62k. Hard to leave, got a pretty decent group of ppl.

Absolutely love being a CLS.