Curious about MS in Medical Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RS7777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this isn't the correct forum, but I couldn't find a more appropriate one.

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that knows about the field of Medical Physics and what it would take to make a leap into that career. I graduated 4 years ago with a Biology degree. Ironically, I ended up eventually working in IT (I was good at Biology, but it wasn't my strongest subject). My stats were pretty good but not outstanding, 3.4 Cumulative GPA, about 3.4 Science plus Math (A in Physics 1 & 2, A in Calc I, II, and multi-variable).

I've googled a lot of info about the field and it sounds very interesting. I've always been interested in Health care and science, and I've always been a very technically oriented, analytical person. A behind the scenes person who works closely with the more technical aspects of the radiation machines sounds like a good fit for me.

Is a career change into Medical Physics practical? Knowing what you know about me, what would be the next steps I need to take? How challenging is it to get accepted into an M.S. program (Ph.D. seems a little too daunting. I don't want to be in school forever). I'm assuming I'd need to take a number of additional classes. Is it a saturated field or is there a lot of opportunity?

The bad stuff: I don't have any research/work experience in anything health or science related. I haven't kept in contact with any of my old professors and all of my science classes were in huge lecture centers (so there's zero chance any of them remember me). While I did get A's in both physics classes, they were not Calculus based.

I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I sent you a message.

Since there isn't a medical physics forum, I guess this is as good of a place as any.

You would probably need to take a few more physics courses. Most medical physics programs expect their students to have either a physics or engineering undergrad degree, but there are often exceptions. I have had classmates with degrees in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, biomedical engineering, and computer science, besides the more common physics and nuclear engineering degrees.

I would compare the first physics courses you take in a medical physics curriculum to sophomore/junior level physics courses in the US, akin to a "modern physics" course.

If you aren't sure, I would try to contact a program director, possibly from a smaller program, and ask them what they think of your background and how to make up for any deficiencies. The big places (UW-Madison, MD Anderson, etc.) will probably not give you a second look until you have a stronger resume (not to say that it couldn't happen).

Finally, right now is probably as good a time as any to get into medical physics, because in 2014, things are going to change in a big way, as the American Board of Radiology will be requiring residencies for board certification, BUT there is currently no money to create the huge number of new residency spots necessary. It's sort of like a slow-motion train wreck. If you can graduate before 2014, you are golden.