Cuban Doctors???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madavis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any US doctors reading this forum who have been trained in Cuba?

How did you obtain residency and the ability to practice in the US?

Was it more challenging because of the political climate surrounding US relations with Cuba? If so, how did this effect your career?

Anyone who has worked with Cuban trained doctors?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My father trained and practice in Cuba for 27 years before coming to the states.

I myself finished two years of medical school there before coming here and starting dental school.

Residency is granted because of the 1962 Cuban Act following the missile crisis with the USSR.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,

Members don't see this ad :)
bump

Hola,

Mi nombre es Julie, vivo en la Florida y estoy considerando estudiar medicina en Cuba...pero no puedo encontrar informacion acerca de las escuelas y ademas no tengo ni idea que dificil seria para una estadounidense matricularse, considerando las condiciones politicas entre los estados unidos y cuba...alguien tiene alguna experiencia o informacion que puedan compartir conmigo?

Hi, my name is Julie, I'm Floridian and I'd like to study medicine in Cuba. Does anyone have any information about the schools there and about admissions as a U.S. Citizen?

Gracias/Thanks!

:thumbup: Hi Julie
I am currently studying medicine in CUBA soon to start 4th year and I am from NYC there is an organization in NYC that handles applications for the scholarship to medical school offfered by fidel castro for US Citizens to study medicine on a full scholarship in cuba for more information look at Ifconews.org and find out about applications hope this helps
Best of Luck

For anyone reading this thread, don't waste your time on contacting them if you do not have all of your pre-med requirements completed. They do not have a European style curriculum where students are taught pre-medical sciences prior to US medical school level courses. The program seems to have more similarities to the American style curriculum than anything else.

TheDervish said:
For anyone reading this thread, don't waste your time on contacting them if you do not have all of your pre-med requirements completed. They do not have a European style curriculum where students are taught pre-medical sciences prior to US medical school level courses. The program seems to have more similarities to the American style curriculum than anything else.

Were u responding to my post about contacting the organization for the scholarship in cuba? If so, that is not true the school does offer premed courses before starting your medical course load. It does somewhat follow the model of US schools but there are some differences. Take a look at the schools web site www.elacm.sld.cu you can take a look at the curriculum

If so, that is not true the school does offer premed courses before starting your medical course load.

That's not what they said on the telephone.

Actually, the Cuban regular program has basic sciences included, it's actually the 2 first years, while the other 4 years are mainly clinical. You also need to notice that High School in Cuba has no electives; so all students commencing medical school have a similar background in biology, chemestry, physics and so on. For international students going to Cuba, it's usually recomended to take a few courses on those subjects before starting the regular curriculum. As far as I know, Cuba offers those courses to selected applicants once they land in the island, but before they incorporate to any of the faculties :)