MD CSU(LA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can a CSULA student - if GPA, MCAT, EC, PS, LORs etc are outstanding - make it to a medical school?

• Absolutely!

• No way

Results are only viewable after voting.
F

FinPreMed2020

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, I don't know California, let alone CSULA, well but you have a chance to get into medical school from any college or university, especially if your application is "outstanding". Medical schools adjust your GPA so that is based on a universal GPA scale. Even if there is a curve, if you have a 4.0 (or above 3.7) you should have no issues.

-4.0 student from UC vs 4.0 from CSU? --> Extracurriculars, PS, LORs, MCAT, etc will make it or break it.

You got it exactly right. Once medical school make it past your core stats (GPA and MCAT) they will look at you personality and extracurriculars. So those will ultimately decide if you get in or not.

According to the premed powerpoint at my CSU school, many of our CSU student matriculated to UCI UCSF and UCD + many more.
So no, I really don't think being a student from CSU hinders your chance for acceptance of an MD/DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
People get into med school from unheard-of undergrad institutions all the time. I would worry a lot less about your school's reputation and just focus on your work and making sure you foster good relationships with your professors as much as you can. It sounds like you're coming from a position of feeling like people are biased against you because of your undergrad school, and I'm sure there are people in California who really care about these distinctions.... but honestly, outside of California I don't really think that many people will have strong opinions about CSU vs UC vs whatever.

(also, if you research grade inflation, it's literally everywhere, so that includes your school)

We would all love to see more strong CSU applicants.
There happen to be very few, though (of any stripe).
Last year, CSU Long Beach (the flagship CSU) only had 40 applicants.
CSU Fullerton had 43
Cal Poly Pomona had 27.
CSUSB had 29.
CSULA only had 25!

Reactions: 1 user
No.. if you have a 4.0 and a 520 MCAT with the standard ECs (research, clinical experience, volunteering) you are going to get looked at no matter what, regardless of what undergraduate institution you went to. Cal State LA is a fine school!

Hey everyone! Thank you for your comments. They are very encouraging and made a smile on my face!

Reactions: 1 users