CS questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scully

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I had assumed that AMGs didn't study for this test and had no problems passing. Now I am seeing that people actually study. Silly me. If you fail your first attempt (but pass the second), will you still be ranked for competitive programs?

Also, I just saw this on the website:
In some instances you may be instructed to perform a physical examination that relates to a specific medical condition, life circumstance, or occupation. Synthetic models, mannequins, or simulators provide an appropriate format for assessment of sensitive examination skills such as genital or rectal examination, and may be used for these cases. In such cases, specific instructions regarding the use of these devices will be provided.
Did anyone have cases like this? (Or are you allowed to tell?)

Thanks for any advice/information!

Members don't see this ad.

Me neither, the exam only had common medical scenarios, nothing out of the ordinary. As a matter of fact, the instructors told us NOT to perform any PELVIC or GU exams. They were even telling us to be gentle with the abdominal exams since there were 12 people pooking at the SP's at the end of the day. If you are worried about the exam, a good source to study from is either First Aid or "Mastering the OSCE by Reutiguez." Good Luck, and don't let anyone put any fear in you, the test is about being personable to the patient and doing a FOCUSED physical exam.

Jamrock

Thanks jmrck. A little late for me to start studying, but I can be personable (it has gotten me this far...)

The quote was from the USMLE website CS instructions.

Okay, one more question. I am assuming that we can't put a magazine or something on our desk with our waterbottles? Is there anything to do during lunch, or do we just have to sit there?

During lunch you just sit there, I talked to the students that were around me. They have that place locked up tighter than the US treasury. When you arrive there will be a designated place to put your belonging, and a place to put your lunch (which you don't have to bring since they provide it). The closet with your belonging will not be opened until the end of the day. You will have two breaks during the day, one for lunch (after the 6th encounter, I think, for 30 mins) and the other after the 9th encounter, for 15mins. The day runs pretty smoothly and you should be out of there between 3:30-4pm. Good Luck