CS: FA says don't list more than 5 ddx/tests...what did u do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many tests/differentials did u list on cs?

Members don't see this ad.

The standardized form that CS gives only has 5 lines for the your DDx and for your workup. I never put in more than 5 for either, and sometimes I didn't even use all 5. I passed.

3-5 Here too. Sometimes you will have way more than five, other times it is so barn door obvious that you feel like an idiot for writing anything other than the diagnosis.

Members don't see this ad :)
8 out of 12 cases I listed 5 and in 4 cases between 2 and 3. I passed. So really it doesnt matter if you list all five..as long as you have taken a GOOD history and documented it along with your physical exam with ALL the pertinent findings. So if you see a scar on the pt's body.ask them whats thats from and they will tell you and you had better document that otherwise its points off your total!

I thought I was being extra thorough, and went ahead and listed 26 for every case. I also filled every space on the page with text, all the way to the margins.
I took it in Atlanta, so I made sure and spelled out the words with more than 2 syllables too.

It really depends on the case and in most cases, you may only get 3-4 and you are OK. You do not need more than 5 since they will only rate you for upto 5 as per usmlesource.com(The course I took and passed).

All the best.