Cryobiopsy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any experience with it? Looking into it there appears to be more recent articles on its use in diffuse fibrotic lung disease.

Members don't see this ad.

Wonky thing I have heard is improved yield due to less crush artifact.

Any experience with it? Looking into it there appears to be more recent articles on its use in diffuse fibrotic lung disease.

Not that great from peripheral disease (obviously). Pretty decent for peribronchial stuff.

People are still feeling out how to best use it.

I think it's fair to say that those giving it a try are finding less success than what has been published. FYI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that great from peripheral disease (obviously). Pretty decent for peribronchial stuff.

People are still feeling out how to best use it.

I think it's fair to say that those giving it a try are finding less success than what has been published. FYI.

The papers i looked at were using it for ILD cuz of the higher quantity and quantity of tissue. Interesting that you feel people are not having the same success as publications. We shall see....we are going to try it on an ILD guy next week.

The papers i looked at were using it for ILD cuz of the higher quantity and quantity of tissue. Interesting that you feel people are not having the same success as publications. We shall see....we are going to try it on an ILD guy next week.

You get gorgeous biopsies. You just can't get as peripheral as you might like. You'll see.

It's also pretty cool for pulling out mucous plugs and big blood clots.

This is basically the case for every drug/procedure/diagnostic/etc in medicine. The real world is a much different place than the literature would suggest.

Is this something they're still trying to perfect or is it making a come back....should I break out the old manuals for photodynamic therapy too?

This is basically the case for every drug/procedure/diagnostic/etc in medicine. The real world is a much different place than the literature would suggest.

True enough.

Is this something they're still trying to perfect or is it making a come back....should I break out the old manuals for photodynamic therapy too?

More like trying to perfect. Cryo I guess you could say is coming back but for a different purpose of transbronchial. Although I did see one paper in ERS showing statistically significant higher yield of 95% vs 85% with regular endobronchial forceps for endobronchial lesions.

You get gorgeous biopsies. You just can't get as peripheral as you might like. You'll see.

It's also pretty cool for pulling out mucous plugs and big blood clots.

It's cool to help debulk endobronchial tumors with it. But who has the time for that in private practice?

It's cool to help debulk endobronchial tumors with it. But who has the time for that in private practice?

And what difference will it make? It won't impact survival, and I doubt it will be any better than XRT for symptom improvement of opening the lung

And what difference will it make? It won't impact survival, and I doubt it will be any better than XRT for symptom improvement of opening the lung

It doesn't impact survival at all, but it will provide some symptomatic improvement and quality of life for that patient for a few days , letting that pus come out from behind that tumor goes a long way, at least for the little time that patient has left :(