Crush vs Secrets vs FAid vs Step up???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TY06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Crush vs Secrets vs FAid vs Step up for step 2ck??????????

Members don't see this ad.

I have decided to use FA but I am reading secrets and B/W also and will add info to my FA from those. I really want to focus on having all my info in one book this time around. Then I plan to use Usmleworld after going thru FA.

Members don't see this ad :)
manning: why do you think it is better to do FA first before Secrets? I like the prose format of Secrets which is easier for me to get through that is why I wanted to use that first and add to FA as I go. Is it also a good idea to look at FA during my rotations and add stuff from review books for that rotation to FA?

I found Secrets/Crush WAY too general. When referencing multiple sources, I like the approach of mastering the most High-Yield (FA in this case) source before moving on to the less High-Yield sources. The basic tenet is that it's better to know a few things well than many things half-heartedly. It would be useful to read the relevant section(s) in FA during your rotations; this will help immensely for Step 2. Adding in extra info sounds like a good idea.

manning: oh one more thing. so i take it that what is in FA which isn't everything is the most HY for the exam right. I want to do real well on Step II, so do you think my strategy above is ok for that?

sorry for the ignorant question, but when u guys talk about FA, which one are u referring to? Is it FA step2, FA step2 CK, or FA step2 CS??? Which one one these 3 is the best one to use for board prep for step 2. thanks!

They way i am doing this is making flash cards from Kaplan notes. So all flash cards from the 5 books and as I go along kaplan, making my cards, i also read First Aid CK...making sure that i am not missing info from either source. Granted that thsi makes my task quite tedious but at the end of the day I know that ifi know those flash cards along with my FA, I should be able to tackle those crazy questions they throw at you during the exam. I havent really concentrated much on usmle world..but i do those questions on and off, using them as a learning tool. This is the approach I am using.

Salsterz: your plan sounds fine, but you should consider relying more heavily on questions than your outline suggests. I would recommend FA as the main source, with supplemental info from Kaplan or Deja. Questions help solidify knowledge (which Dx test/Tx in certain situations, etc). I liked QBank more than UW, though either is fine.

I was gifted a free copy of the FA 2003 w/out markings. I see that there is now a newer version that was published in 2005. . . do you think I'd be okay with the older version?

Thanks for the advice manning! Will pay more close attention to UW. I dont have the money to add kaplan questions to the list, though i am sure they must be good.
To Ideas : Dude invest in the new step 2 CK book. Its is revised and i feel is quite comprehensive. I read from crush step 2 and then read from FA. FA is by far more complete then Crush. Ofcourse this is just my personal opinion.

You will not need both question banks so, if you go with UW, that's fine, just review the explanations thoroughly. To ideas: I agree w/ Salsertz that the most current edition of FA is worth the money, though a used copy should work.

what is deja??

could we get input from people who have already taken the exam????

thanks everyone.

i'm a little surprised to see all the hype about FA, maybe the new edition is different but everyone i talked to b/4 my step 2 (nov.06) said it wasn't that good. Pesonally i'd use crush or secrets (one or the other b/c they are the same author and content). Of my friends, the ones that used crush or secrets were happy with their scores, myself included; but those that used other sources were not so happy despite passing. sure FA might be full of info but how high yield is it? ultimately, it depends on the test taker. if you think you can learn alot of info very well, then you can try FA. Otherwise it might be better to learn a condensed amt of material extremely well. crush/secrets seems scant but it's b/c it only has the high yield stuff you are goint to see. just my 2 cents. :)

CRUSH VS SECRETS??
how come everyone says they are the same, but i get a feeling secrets is the preferred one???

also, any more thoughts on deja review???

thanks

CRUSH VS SECRETS??
how come everyone says they are the same, but i get a feeling secrets is the preferred one???

also, any more thoughts on deja review???

thanks

I really like secrets. Very easy to read and surprisingly chock full of information. I have crush and browsed through it but just didn't seem as good.

I used FA and annotated it from Kaplan Q-book, USMLEWorld, and my clerkship review books. Then I read over the whole annotated book the last few days before the exam. I did not use Crush or Secrets. FA had nearly EVERYTHING that was on the exam and I like the format a lot.

Now that I have received my scores (205/83), I can better somment on how useful I though my prep toos were. I really liked FA and, as other have noted, think it is fairly comprehensive. There are some weaknesses (ie no Surgery), but it's the best source I can think of. Kaplan QBank was useful as well, esp the explanations. Deja was an excellent source as well, though I only mastered specific topics w/in Deja. It would have been nice to learn the entire book, however.

the question is still out...

crush vs. secrets???
are they really the same? why is secrets preferred (it seems it is, i think)?

thanks in advance.

the question is still out...

crush vs. secrets???
are they really the same? why is secrets preferred (it seems it is, i think)?

thanks in advance.

Both books are by the same author (Brochert). Some people find the Q & A format of Secrets easier to retain, more engaging, than the bullet point outline of Crush. Personally, I prefer Secrets. It is surprisingly easy to get through, and alot of the stuff that I missed going through USMLEworld was contained in it. I take the test friday, so once I get my scores back my insight might be a bit more useful. But at least for ease of reading, keeping me awake I prefer the Q & A format of secrets.