Cross-contamination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's not unusual to see a used laryngoscope blade removed from the pt's mouth, flipped closed against the laryngoscope handle, then later taken for cleaning while the handle is tossed back on the anesthesia cart.

Anyone ever wonder about potential gunk from the tip of the used laryngoscope blade contaminating where it contacts the laryngoscope handle, and thus contaminating the tip of the next (clean) blade attached to the handle? Unfortunately no hospital where I've ever worked routinely cleaned handles, just the blades.

From today's www.foxnews.com:

LOS ANGELES — A hospital has closed its neonatal and pediatrics intensive care units to new admissions after a potentially fatal bacterium sickened seven children, including an infant who may have died from the infection, officials said Friday.

White Memorial Medical Center shut down the neonatal unit on Dec. 4 following an outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa, hospital officials said.

On Friday, the hospital shuttered the pediatrics intensive care ward after discovering the bacterium had infected an infant and a toddler there, Dr. Rosalio Lopez, the hospital's chief medical officer, said in a statement.

Officials say they've identified the source of the outbreak — a medical instrument called a laryngoscope used to inspect an infant's larynx — and don't believe there is a danger to other babies.

Members don't see this ad.

I routinely remove the blade from the handle without allowing them to touch.

If contact is made, then I will wipe off the handle with a disinfectant wipe.....however, I don't know how effective it is.

agree with mil, i too disconnect them immediately and put the blade in a separate bag that will be emptied by our anesthesia techs.
i'm rather picky when it comes about crosscontamination and will quarrel with surgeons if they touch anything at the conclusion of the case with bloody gloves.
one of our crna's is a keen hunter who does not hesitate to gut a deer in the field with a knife and his bare hands (nope, no handwashing after...) , you can imagine what he does in the or:mad:
fasto

Members don't see this ad :)
After intubating pt's with the works in terms of infective disease I toss the blade attatched to the handle into the cydex.

Otherwise I wipe the handle down with ETOH pads routinely.

I do seperate the blade from the handle with a glove but not until everything has settled down so I do believe they touch frequently.

Either pop the blade so that the light goes off, but still attached to the handle, and position the handle so that the blade hangs off the end of the anesthesia cart or after intubation (with handle obviously in the left hand), take your right glove and wrap it over the blade.

After intubating pt's with the works in terms of infective disease I toss the blade attatched to the handle into the cydex.

Otherwise I wipe the handle down with ETOH pads routinely.

I do seperate the blade from the handle with a glove but not until everything has settled down so I do believe they touch frequently.

Ethanol pads in the OR? Impressive!:) Sorry, couldn't resist. I am sure you meant isopropyl alcohol.

I have written it into the anesthesia techs' protocols that they must wipe the handles down in every room after every case with disinfectant wipes. You know that you won't allow the blade to touch the handle, but you don't know what other people will allow with their laryngoscopes.