CRNA Group hiring MD/DO’s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otis86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
CRNA Group in Southern California that works multiple surgery centers hiring MDs to work for them. I know cuz my friend works for them.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I would be ashamed to work for a crna

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would they hire MDs? Aren’t they happy doing their own thing? Or did the hospital force them because of bad outcomes?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Despicable. Any anesthesiologist that works for nurses is a true failure.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Why would they hire MDs? Aren’t they happy doing their own thing? Or did the hospital force them because of bad outcomes?

Maybe not enough CRNAs so they’ll take anyone? ;)

My buddy whose group uses per diems says the current per diem pool is a cesspool.

Please tell me it isn’t Mike M.
Mike M I don't know. I have met Joe and a bunch of the others. I told them no to the job. (They have lots of locations. They have no anesthesiologist supervision at some locations, just surgeon, but then that spawned one of the other threads on here when the surgeon denied supervising the crna.)

Or some hospitals and/or surgeons insist on there being an anesthesiologist for other reasons: liability, optics, etc.,

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it matter who the boss is as long as the check clears?
The reality is that it doesn't. People get on their high horses over this, but as long as the work is acceptable and in-line with what you are looking for and the check clears then it's all the same. Everything else is just asinine posturing.

Reactions: 2 users
It all circles back around to JoeRod and his group/movement. Patients dying. The CRNA death mishap thread. The CRNAs hiring MDs. It is he who must not be named now.

Reactions: 1 user
According to him, there are only a few like 6-7 docs. Some old near retirement others freshly graduated that want only easy cases. Certain surgical centers don’t want CRNAs to come at all.

Is the reimbursement same for MD or CRNA when providing Anesthesia services?

The reality is that it doesn't. People get on their high horses over this, but as long as the work is acceptable and in-line with what you are looking for and the check clears then it's all the same. Everything else is just asinine posturing.
Agreed, it doesn't matter who cuts the paycheck. Caveat of course is if they start trying to dictate the care you give your patients.

Hospital ceos , even some are just regular RNs which zero advance business experience have been known to become ceo of hospitals and boss docs around.

So how is it any difference with CRNA bossing docs around.

As long as the paycheck clears and you are getting paid market rate and work load is reasonable. That’s all that matters in today’s environment.

Locums companies are run by non qualified non healthcare people as well hustling you.

Everyone is making money off the “providers”

Hospital ceos , even some are just regular RNs which zero advance business experience have been known to become ceo of hospitals and boss docs around.

As long as the paycheck clears and you are getting paid market rate and work load is reasonable. That’s all that matters in today’s environment.

Locums companies are run by non qualified non healthcare people as well hustling you.

Answering to a CRNA is a lower circle of hell.

Reactions: 5 users

Because there are plenty of other options. Especially in this market

Answering to a CRNA is a lower circle of hell.
Arizona has a bill up to remove all physician supervision from CRNAs. I don't know what they'll do if it passes, which it probably will. They may continue hiring anesthesiologists because the hospitals want anesthesiologists around to make it look better.

I did a shift for an all CRNA group. It is run by a CRNA I worked with (in the military hospital). He is a great guy and is running quit a business - all CRNA practice. I can’t fault him for being such a go-getter. His group covers a lot of offices.

He asked me if I could help.

Why use MDs? Because sometimes patients insist on it. That was the case in this instance. I did it because I like the guy. And I was available.

It paid well if I can remember - and I’m pretty sure I was reimbursed more than a CRNA who would have covered the gig. Good on him for that.

Because there are plenty of other options. Especially in this market
What if working for CRNA group is the best option? I’m playing devils advocate here. They let u work 4 days a week no calls no weekend. And it’s better offer than working for say the VA which pays much less and make you stay the entire tour of duty. Rather than let u go home at 1pm when nothing else to do.

Think before you assume. I’ve seen hospital based employed docs work like dogs (I know a few of them) and they said the amc that left enforced hospital rooms running after certain hours than the hospital owned run practice.

It happens. Not saying it’s common. But it does. I’ve been around the block and it’s not my first rodeo. I’ve seen it all literally. Nothing surprises me. And yes. There are some CRNA founded companies that function better than “MD” founded companies. It all has to come down to how the business is run. Not who owns the contract.

What if working for CRNA group is the best option? I’m playing devils advocate here. They let u work 4 days a week no calls no weekend. And it’s better offer than working for say the VA which pays much less and make you stay the entire tour of duty. Rather than let u go home at 1pm when nothing else to do.

Think before you assume. I’ve seen hospital based employed docs work like dogs (I know a few of them) and they said the amc that left enforced hospital rooms running after certain hours than the hospital owned run practice.

It happens. Not saying it’s common. But it does. I’ve been around the block and it’s not my first rodeo. I’ve seen it all literally. Nothing surprises me. And yes. There are some CRNA founded companies that function better than “MD” founded companies. It all has to come down to how the business is run. Not who owns the contract.
Refer back to the above post about having a set of balls. In fairness, I understand this is in short supply for many anesthesiologists.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I dunno- 320-450k for M-F two week on two week off no weekends or holidays doing EP and IR cases? That's not laughably bad if you're burnt out on ASA 4s, high risk OB, and q4 call

What job offers 450k for two weeks per month with no weekends or holidays?

What job offers 450k for two weeks per month with no weekends or holidays?

This one.

Mike M I don't know. I have met Joe and a bunch of the others. I told them no to the job. (They have lots of locations. They have no anesthesiologist supervision at some locations, just surgeon, but then that spawned one of the other threads on here when the surgeon denied supervising the crna.)

I'd say it's a bit of a concerning situation that I'm expected to be the boss at work with regard to medical decisions while they are the boss of whether I stay employed with them.

I'd say it's a bit of a concerning situation that I'm expected to be the boss at work with regard to medical decisions while they are the boss of whether I stay employed with them.

There are similar situations in the military where a nurse may outrank a doctor. I have no idea how they navigate that.

Reactions: 1 users
Not really sure why this is different for working for any large corporate entity, where the CEO is your boss but you take care of the patient. Is it your experience that your employer tries to dictate how you practice? The only thing an employer cares about, typically, is that you practice as much as possibly for as little compensation as possible….

What’s the rationale for bringing in docs?

1c6.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Some hospitals require them. In the job I posted, I know Banner University requires "supervision" of CRNAs. The CRNAs don't think they need to be supervised though from my friends who worked there. I know working at the place in the thread about patient safety and the patient being coded after CRNA care, the surgeons didn't know they techincally were supervising "independent" CRNAs. I knew that a year ago, and I tried to point it out to the AZ Society. I was told there's nothing they can do since the surgeons were supervising even if they didn't know it.

Some hospitals require them. In the job I posted, I know Banner University requires "supervision" of CRNAs. The CRNAs don't think they need to be supervised though from my friends who worked there. I know working at the place in the thread about patient safety and the patient being coded after CRNA care, the surgeons didn't know they techincally were supervising "independent" CRNAs. I knew that a year ago, and I tried to point it out to the AZ Society. I was told there's nothing they can do since the surgeons were supervising even if they didn't know it.
Ok. Thanks but no Thanks. I am good over here.

I did a shift for an all CRNA group. It is run by a CRNA I worked with (in the military hospital). He is a great guy and is running quit a business - all CRNA practice. I can’t fault him for being such a go-getter. His group covers a lot of offices.

He asked me if I could help.

Why use MDs? Because sometimes patients insist on it. That was the case in this instance. I did it because I like the guy. And I was available.

It paid well if I can remember - and I’m pretty sure I was reimbursed more than a CRNA who would have covered the gig. Good on him for that.
So you got credentialed to do just one shift?

I dunno- 320-450k for M-F two week on two week off no weekends or holidays doing EP and IR cases? That's not laughably bad if you're burnt out on ASA 4s, high risk OB, and q4 call
That sounds like crap. Where is the real vacation? Don’t give me the crap about 26 weeks off either.