Critique my MCAT summer study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skarl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've created a 3-month MCAT study schedule for this coming 9/19 test date. I was hoping to get some feedback in terms of what I can modify to make it more effective in addition to what I can potentially add to it. I've linked it below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...H2T2D_KjP8aTCYQuPXIJQsXXduJdPB/pub?output=pdf

Thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I like the schedule in that it is very well organized and seems to cover all the bases. However, from experience/advice that I have gotten, I would be careful with taking that many full lengths in a week. Most have recommended one full length a week (maximum 2) in order to 1. avoid burnout, and 2. be able to thoroughly review the full lengths (right and wrong answers) without being rushed. Just my two cents :)

ALSO, I think it would be good if you could specify what full lengths you plan on taking. I notice that your last few full lengths say: FL #12, #13, etc. YOU WANT your last few full lengths to be AAMC FLs (AAMC Sample, AAMC FL 1, AAMC FL 2, and AAMC FL 3). These are your BEST predictors and should be saved for last.

Other than your full length setup, I think the content schedule is good.

Reactions: 1 user
What are you doing in terms of CARS?

AAMC CARS Q Pack 1 and Q Pack 2 should be added (most predictive)

TPRH CARS is good

Khan Academy CARS (although easier), is endorsed by the AAMC and is good for extra practice.

What are you doing in terms of CARS?

AAMC CARS Q Pack 1 and Q Pack 2 should be added (most predictive)

TPRH CARS is good

Khan Academy CARS (although easier), is endorsed by the AAMC and is good for extra practice.
I actually wasn't sure what else to use besides TPRH, which does not have enough passages for me to use it as my sole CARS resource. I'll be working through the CARS Q-packs altogether with the other Q-Packs most likely! Do you have any other recommendations for CARS practice?

Other than that, does the schedule look okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the schedule in that it is very well organized and seems to cover all the bases. However, from experience/advice that I have gotten, I would be careful with taking that many full lengths in a week. Most have recommended one full length a week (maximum 2) in order to 1. avoid burnout, and 2. be able to thoroughly review the full lengths (right and wrong answers) without being rushed. Just my two cents :)

ALSO, I think it would be good if you could specify what full lengths you plan on taking. I notice that your last few full lengths say: FL #12, #13, etc. YOU WANT your last few full lengths to be AAMC FLs (AAMC Sample, AAMC FL 1, AAMC FL 2, and AAMC FL 3). These are your BEST predictors and should be saved for last.

Other than your full length setup, I think the content schedule is good.
How many FLs should I aim to do? I've read the more the better. Any tips for how I can reduce the frequency of FLs I take while still hitting the recommended number?

How many FLs should I aim to do? I've read the more the better. Any tips for how I can reduce the frequency of FLs I take while still hitting the recommended number?

The amount of full lengths is not what's important. Some people can get away with taking a few third party full lengths and the AAMC full lengths (6-7 tests) while others need to take a lot of full lengths in addition to the AAMC full lengths to feel comfortable (10+). Only you can figure that out. Generally, this is a quality > quantity situation.

The non-AAMC (third party) full lengths are mainly used to identify weaknesses, get used to timing, and build endurance. They are not going to be as representative as the AAMC full lengths, so they should be taken to build yourself...not see where you stand. When you get used to the timing, the endurance, and have a pretty solid content foundation (evidenced in the third party full length tests), then you can start taking AAMC full lengths closer to your test date.

I think NextStep sums it up here:

https://nextsteptestprep.com/2017/10/03/how-many-full-length-mcat-practice-tests/

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I've created a 3-month MCAT study schedule for this coming 9/19 test date. I was hoping to get some feedback in terms of what I can modify to make it more effective in addition to what I can potentially add to it. I've linked it below:

Thanks for any feedback!

I have some good news. There are only 8 OC chapters!!! That opens up some space in your schedule.

And we generally recommend 8 FLs near the end of your studies (starting about 4 weeks before your test date and taking the AAMC 3 about 7 days before your actual MCAT), from thee different sources to our classroom students. AAMC has 1, 2, and 3 (the unscored exam we recommend people look at early on to assess their question style) and the other 5 FLs can be obtained through non-AAMC third parties (we provide 4 to our students, but recommend only doing two as FLs and doing the other two like section banks.)

I have some good news. There are only 8 OC chapters!!! That opens up some space in your schedule.

And we generally recommend 8 FLs near the end of your studies (starting about 4 weeks before your test date and taking the AAMC 3 about 7 days before your actual MCAT), from thee different sources to our classroom students. AAMC has 1, 2, and 3 (the unscored exam we recommend people look at early on to assess their question style) and the other 5 FLs can be obtained through non-AAMC third parties (we provide 4 to our students, but recommend only doing two as FLs and doing the other two like section banks.)
Wow that is phenomenal news! I don't know why I put thirteen, probably misread the roman numerals.

Any reason why you recommend doing the other 5 FLs like section banks rather than FLs?