Critically Ill Patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moogash

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am most of the way through my intern year of medicine. I have done a MICU block and CVICU block now and still find myself fairly nervous/stressed with my critically ill patients, though I don't show it on the outside. Part of the reason is that I feel somewhat inadequate with placing lines; I have only done 2 art lines and 2 centrals at this point in the year. I feel like I could become proficient with them - I'm skilled with US-guided IVs (done like 30, pretty much get it first try each time). I also feel pretty confident with other basic procedures like paras, thoras, LPs, etc., but I just haven't had many opportunities to do lines this year; it is sort of a problem at my program. I also feel like I never know how to manage pressors other than levophed.

Is it normal to feel this way (nervous/stressed) or do things get better with more experience? I want to do cardiology, but obviously I will need to be more competent and confident in critical care management for that to be a realistic goal. I have two more MICU blocks and one CVICU block scheduled for the remainder of my medicine training.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this is normal. Yes, you will get better & less stressed the more you do (based on your experience with other procedures). This is why residency (& fellowships) are a marathon and not a sprint - everything takes time.

Reactions: 1 user