Critical Care Nurse taking Postbac Courses? How does this experience look for Admins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN-2-Medicine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just got a RN position on a CTICU unit at the #1 Hospital in New York . This unit gets all the open heart surgeries, CABG, vents, ECHMO, etc. I'm super stoked and super humbled. I was a med-surg nurse for 4 years prior to the switch.

For my Nurses turned to Physicians, how much has your nursing experience impacted your pre-med journey? I could imagine it could only help.

Current Pre-Med situation :
By the time I matriculate (assuming I apply 2023 cycle and accepted for the class of 2028) I will have approx. 2,500 hours of ICU nursing experience and 6,500 hours of med surge nursing experience. If I stay on the my current path I'd have a undergrad gpa of 3.38 and a post-bac gpa of 3.75. I'd pay for a good MCAT prep that gaureentees a 510+ (money isn't an issue I don't mind shelling out the money for the preparation of the biggest determinant into med school) 27 y/o URM from NYC

Share your stories current and former pre-meds !

Members don't see this ad.

It is invaluable experience and will benefit your application story and clinical education in medical school. I was a SICU nurse for 5 years at a large hospital as well and 27 when I matriculated. That being said, I would not necessarily count on that specific experience or your nursing qualifications to give you an edge. It is more your story of going from nurse to applicant that will be of greatest importance to adcoms and how you speak about it. I was able to take my post-bac classes part time as I continued to work full time, seems like a similar experience that you have. Try to get some shadowing experience, volunteering, and work on forming relationships with professors and a physician mentor at work to get good LORs when the time comes. I do not really think you need to worry about research, it never hurts, but that is not the flavor of your application.

When it comes time for the MCAT, I am not trying to discourage you but nothing promises a solid score other than work ethic and commitment. Even then, you really cannot say what you will get until you get your score back. Just be ready to commit 3-4 months when the time comes to focus on that and give it your best shot. Best of luck to you, it certainly is not an easy path but it will pay off.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an M1 and a former ICU RN. My nursing experience was a huge portion of my application essays and a source of interview stories. I'd say if you have the discipline to be a successful critical care nurse, you have the capability to do well in med school. You'll come in already comfortable in healthcare settings and speaking with patients. I'd say some of my experience and previous education has been helpful for some of the blocks, like CV, since I came in comfortable interpreting EKGs and hemodynamics. The most important thing for your application will be acing the rest of your courses and the MCAT, to answer any questions about your academic preparation. The second most important thing is to come up with a coherent narrative for why you are making the move that does not disparage the profession. Feel free to reach out to me for any guidance.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was great. Really helps as said above. Use your experiences to highlight your strengths.

I finished my BSN online, took all my pre-reqs and local university, and even took biochemistry online. No problems. None of this was mentioned. RN to BSN online isnt even listed as anything except a physical degree.

I was on admissions at my medical school and when reviewing apps ANYTHING that demonstrates life experience is great, healthcare experience even better.

Continued to talk about and reference as a point of strength during residency interviews. I am 80% through my intern year and its been helpful over and over and over again my experience as a nurse. From day 1. Be cool and be a resource for your classmates during medical school and especially during residency.

I've been grateful to share and teach my fellow interns how to appreciate and understand nurses....

Your experience will help you in so so many ways. I'm happy to respond in any way that might be helpful if you have directed questions.

I am an IM resident at a community program; my goal has been to prep for fellowship application and hopefully make it back to the ICU in that way.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I just got a RN position on a CTICU unit at the #1 Hospital in New York . This unit gets all the open heart surgeries, CABG, vents, ECHMO, etc. I'm super stoked and super humbled. I was a med-surg nurse for 4 years prior to the switch.

For my Nurses turned to Physicians, how much has your nursing experience impacted your pre-med journey? I could imagine it could only help.

Current Pre-Med situation :
By the time I matriculate (assuming I apply 2023 cycle and accepted for the class of 2028) I will have approx. 2,500 hours of ICU nursing experience and 6,500 hours of med surge nursing experience. If I stay on the my current path I'd have a undergrad gpa of 3.38 and a post-bac gpa of 3.75. I'd pay for a good MCAT prep that gaureentees a 510+ (money isn't an issue I don't mind shelling out the money for the preparation of the biggest determinant into med school) 27 y/o URM from NYC

Share your stories current and former pre-meds !
Why not do CRNA?