Critical Care Educational Resources? (classes, videos, books, podcasts)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It peaked my interest from this "Any words of wisdom thread"

I am personally more interested in actual classes that go into CC management. On any of the following subjects: Ventilator management, Airway control, Hemodynamic monitoring/Central Lines, Antibiotics/Vasoactive Pharmacology, IABP, Pathophys of shock etc..

Courses: I found this course Fundamental Critical Care Support Course (FCCS) from Society of Critical Care Medicine. However to those that are in the field what else is out there? What other courses are available that go into CC topics? Can be either online or in person.

Videos: Any good online video lectures on CC topics? Regardless if it's paid or free as long as the content is good.

Books: The ICU Book Paul L. Marino is a great read. However, what else do you guys frequently use that you like? Mechanical ventilator books? Hemodynamic monitoring? Airway or anesthesia books? Online guides?

Podcasts: What do you guys like to listen to?

Mainly looking from input from all Critical Care folks out here.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the 2013 brighams/mass gen pulm/cc board review lectures on my iPad. They are fabulous but pricy. But my attending bought them and let us all copy them onto our pcs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup that's it. The 3 mechanical ventilation lectures are awesome. They are actually given by an RT.....whose also a Ph.D. Is so,e good stuff. About 45 min apiece they are and there are 41 lectures in total. Invasive hemodynamic monitoring is a good one too.

Holy balls thats pricey! Have to borrow a copy from ya.

The emcrit and icu rounds podcasts arent bad and can be thought provoking when stuck in traffic/roadtrippin

Holy balls thats pricey! Have to borrow a copy from ya.

The emcrit and icu rounds podcasts arent bad and can be thought provoking when stuck in traffic/roadtrippin

I listened to emcrit while running when I was on ICU this year. Helped tremendously, especially the vent and acid-base lectures.

any critical care question books that are more popular than others, preferably pure critical care questions not pulm? any recs would be great

any critical care question books that are more popular than others, preferably pure critical care questions not pulm? any recs would be great

The ACCP SEEK series are the question books most people use to study for critical care boards - at least those of us on the pulmonary side of things. Though the question books are pricey.

Sccm has its question book ~200 questions, have it but haven't opened yet. American society of anesthesiologist has a critical care self study 100 question, pretty challenging and focuses on sicu/neurosurg/cardiothoracic surgery/ end of life care. Liked it. ACCP has a critical care only question app/book consisting of 300 questions

Bump.

Has anyone compared the SCCM review book to the ACCP book in terms of ease of reading/relevance to questions on the board exam? Also has anyone looked at the MGH Review book? Saw it on Amazon.

Blah why is so much of this stuff in the form of podcasts

I hate podcasts for the same reason that I skipped every lecture in medical school - I want to read it, goddamnit. Transcribe your masterpiece podcast into text or else I don't give a ****. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

I'll stick with the ICU book and other texts

Reactions: 1 user
Blah why is so much of this stuff in the form of podcasts

I hate podcasts for the same reason that I skipped every lecture in medical school - I want to read it, goddamnit. Transcribe your masterpiece podcast into text or else I don't give a ****. It's just a pet peeve of mine.

I'll stick with the ICU book and other texts

Yea, but you can't read while you're driving to and from work, or while you're working out/running, or cutting the grass, etc.

any opinions about sccm / chestnet board review courses ? is one better than other ?

podcasts are awesome, especially for learning on the go like the ones mentioned above and to garner experience without having it yet which is pretty sweet.

For some reason it seems that reading large texts is a thing of the past. I'm not very far out of residency, but almost no one I have met has dedicated time out to reading large volume texts like tobin's practice of intensive care monitoring, or ventilator bible of a book. I do find that most people can manage the vents without understanding "how they work"? I've always been a reader but maybe that day is becoming a thing of the past.

Im curious what the attending's on the forum preach to their residents?