Critical Care anesthesiology: Private vs. Academic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Globulinus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be finishing CC anesthesiology fellowship soon. Looking for the job now and can't see many anesthesiology private groups who do critical care....
Is it a general trend? If I do like CC as well as being at OR my choices limited only to academics?

Anybody aware of a anesthesiology/critical care job market at northwest?
I do like academics, but there are not a big choice of places at this region...:(

So, question is: is there a place for anesthesiology/critical care in private practice?? What do you think about job market in this area in 2-5 years?

Members don't see this ad.

I too am very curious about this...Seinfeld, especially, would love to hear your comments on private practice anesthesia/critical care and what you think the future will look like. Thanks very much!:luck:

I'm board certified in anesthesiology & critical care and I have been able to get combined Anes/CCM jobs in private practice.

The PP group in general needs to be a large one in order to have a contract with the hospital to cover an ICU. The group then covers that ICU 24-7. In my experience this has been relatively new for private practice groups but I have seen it done successfully.

The downside is that oftentimes the groups may be pretty large so salary/package negotiations may be pretty fixed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm board certified in anesthesiology & critical care and I have been able to get combined Anes/CCM jobs in private practice.

The PP group in general needs to be a large one in order to have a contract with the hospital to cover an ICU. The group then covers that ICU 24-7. In my experience this has been relatively new for private practice groups but I have seen it done successfully.

The downside is that oftentimes the groups may be pretty large so salary/package negotiations may be pretty fixed.

Jenny, what part of the US are you located? How many weeks of ICU per month do you do? Is it one week on and one off? Do you get paid the same as your colleagues at the same level as you who don't do ICU?

Asking because I will be starting my CCM fellowship in a few months and thought I would be confined to academics, but I hear that it is possible to do private practice though.

Thanks.

Jenny, what part of the US are you located? How many weeks of ICU per month do you do? Is it one week on and one off? Do you get paid the same as your colleagues at the same level as you who don't do ICU?

Asking because I will be starting my CCM fellowship in a few months and thought I would be confined to academics, but I hear that it is possible to do private practice though.

Thanks.

As a second year med student very interested in anesthesia/CCM I would also be interested to hear answers to any of the above questions.

Thanks!

anesthesiology average starting salary is 300,000 according to medscape salary report. I am an MS IV going to apply for the field. It is absolutely rewarding both financially and intellectually. GO to medscape and look at the average salaries. I honestly think that is a lot of money for anyone no matter how much debt you're in! =)

Just my 2 cents.

i agree. i am also anesth/ccm and have not been out very long. it does seem that east coast has more opportunity but west coast jobs are on the rise (just check gaswork)...and i am sure there are more jobs out there than simply on gaswork. i have heard that some believe it is hard to get enough ICU time on the east coast due to saturated coverage at established hospitals. on the west coast, in my limited experience, i've found the opposite to be true--my last job was so short on icu people that i got stuck being an intensivist 90% of the time with very little OR time...and no hearts despite having TEE (fewer cases, turf and politics with --unfortunately-- other anesthesiologists). does anyone else have different experiences? i have a feeling the job market will get much better really fast due to PPACA forcing many physician groups to affiliate or be part of hospitals--hospitals will want better outcomes and have more say and thus may be able to mandate 24/7 in-house call for their ICU docs. it seems you always have better luck trying to get others to comply with quality protocols when the government is slapping the hospital with fines...haha