Crip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Central CRIP is coming up this weekend.

Does anyone have any helpful comments concerning CRIP interviews?

Thoughts on the CRIP process? Personally I think there might be better ways to do this. I don't know what they might be, but it seems like there should be a better way to organize the residency interview process. I think the CRIP concept is good, but somewhat lacking in practice.

I think there is somewhere in the vicinity of 25-40% of my class that already either have a residency secured or have a pretty good idea where they are going. Sort of makes the CRIP seem redundant.

I'm looking forward to it, or more realistically looking forward to having it done. I'll be happier in March when the results are out.

Expect others feel about the same.

Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Heading out for the Chicago CRIP tomorrow. Should be interesting. I hope to enjoy it. If nothing else it will be the first time since about last May that any large number of my classmates have been in one place at the same time.

Starting to get some snow now in Des Moines, expect about the same weather between here and Chicago. Since it is the first real winter weather we have had it might get interesting. I don't expect much though. Roads should be well cleared by morning.

Once again, I would be interested to ehar what others think about the CRIP process. I know what my thoughts are, though that may very well change by next Monday.

Best of luck to all involved. I sincerely hope that everyone matches with the programs of their choice. I'm sure looking forward to march when we know for sure.

The best of luck to you, Eric

I'm sure that you'll do very well on your interviews. You probably know that much of the decisions are going to come down to whether or not the directors and whoever else is involved can envision themselves working closely with you for 1-3 years. Some of them have academic cut offs (explicit or not), some want a specific type, some are open to anything. All you can do is be yourself and if you don't know an answer just tell them what you do know and say you'll look it up.

We can talk about it when you get back. I'll tell you my experiences.

CRIP was a little bit of a letdown. Studying was over-rated. From what I was asked it was eitehr stuff I would have known anyway or things that I probably wouldn't have run across if I has spent a huge amount of time studying for.

The vast majority of it was social as opposed to academic anyway. People who applied at different programs will probably have had different experiences.

To make it more fun, consider it fromthe Director's point of view or the Resident's point of view. They (or most of them) had to sift through a number of applications to decide who to actually interview. Then they had to come up with some method to differentiate a good candidate from a poor one. How do you do that? What criteria do you use? Then they have to actually conduct these interviews. Most from 20 minutes to over an hour. (at least for an initial interview.) They may have looked at anywhere from a dozen to over 60 candidates. Certainly more time consuming for them than for us. Then they still have to distinguish all of these people from one another. And rank them. How many do they need to rank in order to match with whatever number of residents they need? If it is a good program, most likely the majority of the people they interview will have offers from other programs as well. Seems like a major headache to me. I'm glad I just had to talk to a few people and interview with just a couple of programs. I realy think it would be harder to sit on the other side of the table.

I don't think it was as bad as many students make it out to be. Ont he otehr hand it doesn't seem like March (and the match)will get here soon enough. I for one will be happy to have a firm answer, and know for sure what I might have in store for the next couple years.

Just glad it's over, and ready to move on to the next step.