Criminal Background check before veterinary licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryandevil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I finished all my requirements to apply for a state license. I am going to send my application to the state board soon but in the application they asked about criminal background. About 6 years ago I was charged with a felony and eventually the next year through a pre-trial diversion got the charges dismissed. So, there is no conviction nor I am on probation now. However, I was wondering if this will effect me in obtaining the license. I believe I still need to disclose this in the application but I dont know to what extent I need to disclose. Should I submit all the court documents? It was a non violent and non drug related. Will it effect me in getting the license totally? Is there anything I can do now before I submit the application?
Please let me know if you know or experienced something similar to my case. I am very worried. After all the hard work I don't want to be unlicensed vet.
RD

Members don't see this ad.

About 6 years ago I was charged with a felony and eventually the next year through a pre-trial diversion got the charges dismissed. So, there is no conviction nor I am on probation now.

If you were charged but not convicted you would not need to disclose it. It would not be on your record. Just as if you had a record that had been expunged. You can check your public criminal record to make sure that there is nothing on there that you do not know about, but to be charged but not convicted means that you shouldn't have a record.

IANAL, but it depends on the state to which you are applying. Some of the applications ask, "Have you ever been convicted...", in which case you would be okay. Some states, however, ask, "Have you ever been charged..." (a Google search of "veterinary license application 'have you ever been charged'" brings up Idaho and a few others). If it asks, and you have been charged, you absolutely must admit it, because it will come up on your background check whether or not you were actually convicted.

There are quite a few of these situations on the allo boards if you poke around on there.

Whatever you do, be honest, read the forms carefully, and if you have any questions, it can't hurt to consult a lawyer (but the license applications are generally spelled out clearly). Dropped charges shouldn't be a big deal, but trying to deceive a licensing board seems like it would probably get you in trouble.

to be charged but not convicted means that you shouldn't have a record.

Again, IANAL, but I don't think this is true. I think there is a difference between "charges dismissed" and "expunged". Once something is dismissed, you can have it expunged, but it is not automatic.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Again, IANAL, but I don't think this is true. I think there is a difference between "charges dismissed" and "expunged". Once something is dismissed, you can have it expunged, but it is not automatic.

That's why I said to check the criminal records to see what their public record says. Also I think talking to a lawyer would be a fine idea. It's good to be honest, but if you truly don't have to report something, why would you? If the OP doesn't legally have to report it, that would not really be being deceiving, and could potentially hurt the applicant once the board knows the extra information, there isn't much sense in reporting it. But I would definitely ultimately check with a lawyer. I got arrested for a DWI several years ago at the age of 20 and afterwards I immediately consulted with a lawyer to see if my chances at potentially in the future getting licensed were shot. They said they I should be fine, but they may ask me about it, but that is because that stays on my record forever.

Thank you Guys. I asked the state board administrative office about this and they said I have to disclose it and submit the documentation regarding the charges. Since it was dismissed with out a conviction because of pretrial diversion, I don't know how much it may impact. I am thinking that I have to support myself with a letter describing the case and keep praying to God.
Does any one know how much of an impact a NO conviction because of pretrial diversion can have?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank you Guys. I asked the state board administrative office about this and they said I have to disclose it and submit the documentation regarding the charges. Since it was dismissed with out a conviction because of pretrial diversion, I don't know how much it may impact. I am thinking that I have to support myself with a letter describing the case and keep praying to God.
Does any one know how much of an impact a NO conviction because of pretrial diversion can have?
Thanks again.

I don't know what state you are applying in but CO specifically states that you have to disclose all arrests, charges, compalints, or convictions. It goes on to state that failure to disclose ALONE can be grounds for denial of licensure. On the other hand disclosing a complaint, charge, arrest etc is NOT an automatic disqualification and the board looks at the facts surrounding the complaint to decide whether to grant licensure.

So if I were you I would disclose and fully explain any and everything that might come up. It looks like it is very unlikely to hurt you and not doing so could result in denial of licensure.

Any one? Yes, a lawyer.

It depends on the particular state and even then, it's sometimes a case by case basis. If you really want to know, you need to talk with a lawyer.

Any one? Yes, a lawyer.

It depends on the particular state and even then, it's sometimes a case by case basis. If you really want to know, you need to talk with a lawyer.

Not to mention, if you just call a lawyers office they will more often than not just give you advice or spell things out for you over the phone according to the laws in question. It wouldn't take long and you'd have a definite answer, or a good place to start.

Well, if this helps......I know someone that has been convicted of a felony(non violent and non drug related) that was licensed in Kansas for a profession that was not Vet med, so It is a possibility to get licensed by some states even with a conviction.

Last edited:
Some of the applications ask, "Have you ever been convicted...", in which case you would be okay. Some states, however, ask, "Have you ever been charged..." (a Google search of "veterinary license application 'have you ever been charged'" brings up Idaho and a few others). If it asks, and you have been charged, you absolutely must admit it, because it will come up on your background check whether or not you were actually convicted.

Do you know any states that just ask for conviction but not charges?

Thanks.