Creighton vs. NYMC w/scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CA med app

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got the FedEx from NYMC offering me 20K scholarship. My heart was set on Creighton at first, but after receiving the scholarship, I started to look into NYMC more and saw that they matched very well into CA residencies and their board scores are higher than the national avg. But, I still really like the cohesive atmosphere at Creighton. What to do?!?!?

I have to respond to their offer asap, so if you have opinions about either schools (pos & neg), I would really like to hear them so that I can weigh out the pros and cons. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

20k per year is a lot of dough. If that means less debt at NYMC, you should go there (assuming you don't have very strong personal reasons to go to Creighton).

As far as matching into CA, NYMC's placement is likely because there are so many Californians who go there. And don't judge a school by average board score -- it's all up to you anyway. Good luck.

So I made my choice....I decline NYMC. I had already decided not to go there before the scholarship even though I knew of my acceptance. I talked it over with friends and family. And really it came down to here I felt the most comfortable. As it is, med school i a big change. I decided that I was going to go to the place where I felt more comfortable in terms of school and city, etc. I know for me the scholarship was tempting. But I dont think the scholarship was enough incentive. I just think med school is hard enough without having to deal with being in a place you dont want to be at 100%.

DeterminedMD said:
So I made my choice....I decline NYMC. I had already decided not to go there before the scholarship even though I knew of my acceptance. I talked it over with friends and family. And really it came down to here I felt the most comfortable. As it is, med school i a big change. I decided that I was going to go to the place where I felt more comfortable in terms of school and city, etc. I know for me the scholarship was tempting. But I dont think the scholarship was enough incentive. I just think med school is hard enough without having to deal with being in a place you dont want to be at 100%.

Good luck getting used to the weather ;/.