Creighton University SOM - Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S@xplayer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I haven't seen a thread for the 2010 class yet, so I will start one. Who is going to be in Omaha next year?

I found out on 12/9 via a phone call (that I initiated - did not receive). Snail mail notification is supposed to be coming 12/11 or 12/12.

Mods, feel free to delete this is there is an existing thread -- I only found a class of 2009 thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my acceptance letter from them via snail mail on thurs. dec. 8th. probably the happiest day of my life b/c it was my first acceptance. i'm still waiting on 5 more schools so I don't know if i'll end up in omaha, but they definitely have a good program.

Awesome! I'm waiting on a few more schools too, but I am 99.9% committed to Creighton at the moment. I loved their school and atmosphere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm finally joining the club!

I"m gonna be a doctor! Interview 12/2, Acceptance 12/19!

I'm in! :)

I haven't made any final decisions yet, but I'm sure I'll be on here chatting about Creighton every now and then, especially as May 15th approaches!

Sweet, congrats Trishaa! Hopefully you will come! Well, at least end up where you are the happiest I should say.

I got in to creighton around thanksgiving and since then this process has become so much less stressfull. How did you all like Omaha? Omaha was better than what I expected.

I didn't mind Omaha, in fact I liked it! I'm very anxious to start, and am in the process of filling out the FAFSA and hopefully soon I will get to Omaha to get a handle on the property there. I don't know yet if it will be worth it to buy a house versus renting; I don't know what the property market is like.

Tell me a little bit about yourselves;

I'm 23, a guy, and am engaged to a wonderful lady. I will be married by the time we start classes in August, and am currently working full time in a hospital as a pharm. technician. Night shift might I add; and what a joke of a job it is.

Got my Creighton acceptance via status check call on Tuesday! Still haven't decided, but I will keep peeking on here to see if I catch "Creighton fever."

About me that you haven't already figured out from the obscene amount of posts i do on here:

I am 33, married with a 21-month old son, Oscar. I am a Med anth professor at University of Colorado at Denver and I did my dissertation research on Eating Disorders in Milan, Italy. My husband is a public school administrator with a PhD in Archaeology. I am a triathlete, crossword puzzle freak and I do stand-up and improv comedy when I get a chance.

Hello all,

I am relatively new to SDN. I was curious if any of you interviewed on December 9th with me? On the 9th, they gave us the idea that we would hear either way within a few weeks. We are going on 4 weeks now.

Thanks,

SC Slug

SCSlug said:
Hello all,

I am relatively new to SDN. I was curious if any of you interviewed on December 9th with me? On the 9th, they gave us the idea that we would hear either way within a few weeks. We are going on 4 weeks now.

Thanks,

SC Slug

Woops,

Maybe I need to log on and read the posts when I am not so bleary. Congradulations gdbaby!!! We were on the same tour at the end of the day at Creighton. Well, I will keep my fingers crossed and watch the mail or give a call next week.

SC Slug

SCSlug said:
Woops,

Maybe I need to log on and read the posts when I am not so bleary. Congradulations gdbaby!!! We were on the same tour at the end of the day at Creighton. Well, I will keep my fingers crossed and watch the mail or give a call next week.

SC Slug
Welcome abourd SDN SC Slug! Were you a Banana Slug? Best college mascot name ever. I think we will be getting our acceptance letters today or Monday. When I emailed on Tuesday they replied that I was accepted and that the letters were going in the mail on Wednesday. Any day now....

Members don't see this ad :)
gdbaby said:
Welcome abourd SDN SC Slug! Were you a Banana Slug? Best college mascot name ever. I think we will be getting our acceptance letters today or Monday. When I emailed on Tuesday they replied that I was accepted and that the letters were going in the mail on Wednesday. Any day now....

gdbaby,

Yes, the SC Slug username is in reference to being a UCSC student and a banana slug. In fact, it is a tradition in my family. My father was in the first graduating class, my mom when there when I was in grade school, my little brother has graduated from there as well as his fiancé, my wife was a double major in art and philosophy at UCSC, I have readmitted after pursuing a Masters in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and just this week my 15 mo old daughter has enrolled 20 hours per week in the infant toddler program. Three generations of Banana Slugs!!!

SC Slug

-Gdbaby-

Where do you see yourself being the most happy, financial reasons aside? I keep asking myself this because I too have an in-state option, but I think that I would honestly be much happier at Creighton. I have no doubt I will enjoy the school; I loved being there for my interviews (both years haha).

Some more interesting things about myself:
I have a music minor. I love to play saxaphone and piano, but mostly jazz sax. I am recording a CD right now with my Aunt that should be out... eh... in 3 months. I love to play. I also play tons of racquetball. I was on the junior olympics team when I was younger, until they dropped it from the olympics (but they still have trampoline jumping competitions, WTF)!

Just wanted to know what you thought. I look forward to meeting you should you choose to come to Omaha!

I finally recieved my acceptance notification from Creighton! I would love it if those of you dedicated to going to Creighton, over some of the other schools that may have offered you spots, could offer me some insight into why you are choosing Creighton?

SC Slug

I'm going to Creighton because I felt while I was there, that the faculty and students shared an environment that was conducive to all. The faculty were very polite, and not holier-than-thou. The student were very friendly. I felt that I felt in well to the school, and that they would provide me with a high quality recommendation. Not to mention, fellow doctors I have shadowed highly recommend them.

gbleeker said:
-Gdbaby-

Where do you see yourself being the most happy, financial reasons aside? I keep asking myself this because I too have an in-state option, but I think that I would honestly be much happier at Creighton. I have no doubt I will enjoy the school; I loved being there for my interviews (both years haha).

Some more interesting things about myself:
I have a music minor. I love to play saxaphone and piano, but mostly jazz sax. I am recording a CD right now with my Aunt that should be out... eh... in 3 months. I love to play. I also play tons of racquetball. I was on the junior olympics team when I was younger, until they dropped it from the olympics (but they still have trampoline jumping competitions, WTF)!

Just wanted to know what you thought. I look forward to meeting you should you choose to come to Omaha!
Oh I know for sure I won't be as happy at my state school. The environment is totally different from Creighton or Iowa. BUT, I own a house here and my husband has a job here. That would be hard to forget. thank God my state school hasn't wanted to interview me yet!

I started undergrad as a vocal performance major--mostly jazz--thought I was going to do musical theater. It would be fun to get together and jam. Okay, that's one more point in the Creighton column!

My hubby and I were totally drunk watching the trampoline jumping competitions at the last Olympics. I kept asking him "Are you sure we're watching NBC? This isn't the Disney Channel?

Creighton is my first acceptance and I have a good friend who is a first year there and loves it. I really liked the attitude of the faculty and students when I visited, very conivial and relaxed despite having a rigourous academic program. Besides, you have to consider the 4 years of free all you can drink coffee and tea down in the chaplain's (Marcia's) office ;)

Seriously Creighton is a great medical school and I am thrilled to have an acceptance there------most likely I will be in Omaha this August!

I had my interview Dec. 2nd and was accepted Dec. 9th. I'm completely stoked and will be there in August without a doubt.

SoCalSpecialK said:
I had my interview Dec. 2nd and was accepted Dec. 9th. I'm completely stoked and will be there in August without a doubt.

Who were you? I interviewed Dec 2nd too and found out the 9th. Just trying to picture who you were :)

gbleeker said:
Who were you? I interviewed Dec 2nd too and found out the 9th. Just trying to picture who you were :)

I think I may have sat next to you during the first morning session. I was from San Diego (Point Loma Nazarene Universiy). I'm 21 (22 very soon), my girlfriend lives in Omaha, and I may be the only person in the entire world that is okay with leaving a beachfront campus in SD to move to Omaha. Anyways...sounds like I'll be seein' ya in August.

Kevin
Creighton-Class of 2010

Yup, sounds like we'll both be there! I have to start all my immunization series that I don't have yet; and the Hep B series if I start it in Feb won't be finished up until August.

Funny story...so I interviewed at Creighton on November 18th and was told at the interview by Dr. Nipper himself that we would know before christmas. About the middle of December I went into his office to make sure everything was in order, and was told I wouldn't hear until middle of January. What a bummer, I had hoped to hear something so I could celebrate with the family over christmas, not to mention the fact that my cousin had already been accepted early decision at KU. Luckily I got a letter about the middle of December from KU saying I was accepted, but still nothing from Creighton (which was my first choice). So the 15th of Jan rolls around and still nothing, so I just happen to run home to Kansas (yes KS...very close...and very boring) on the 17th and my mother gives me a letter from Creighton, I open it and low and behold I am accepted to Creighton...but then I notice that above the line "you must return this letter with the 100 dollars by two weeks from the above date"...the date of Jan 3...well I do the math in my head and realize that two weeks from the third was up as I was reading it. To make a long story short, due to some mix up at the post office, I nearly had a heart attack...but I drove right back to Creighton and hand delivered the letter and deposit...so I will be attending Creighton in the Fall.

PS...I graduated from Creighton with a MS in Clinical Anatomy, so if anyone has any questions about Creighton or Omaha, let me know. I took gross anatomy with the medical students and TAed the lab the following year, so I know quite a bit about the med school set up and even a lot of the professors.

Sorry forgot to add:

I am 27 year old male (don't want this to get too "online dating"), originally from a small town in KS. Graduated from KSU with a BS in Biochemistry and Creighton with a MS in Clinical Anatomy. I can't wait to meet you all and I look foward to the next 4 years at Creighton.

Gandalf, that is quite the story. The ironic thing is that my story is very similar only kind of opposite. I too am from a smaller town in KS (Great Bend) but unlike you I had been accepted to Creighton and am waiting to hear from KU yet. I will find out in March about KU. Creighton is my first choice school without a doubt, but there are significant financial differences between the two schools so I am still waiting to see what KU does. 99.9% set on Creighton at the moment as it was my favorite school by far in terms of fit and atmosphere.

What town were you from in KS and were you in state here in KS? Send me a PM if you wish )

Grant

Hi Everyone!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to Creighton this august! I loved it there! Omaha.... well, I'll get used to that.
Grant and I are pretty good buds now, just thought I'd write another post on there =)

Summary of me:
23 yrs old, from Phoenix, AZ ( going to miss those 70 degree winter days....) w/ a BS in Molecular Cellular Biology and minor in Chinese studies.
interviewed Dec 2, Acceptance Dec 9th (but didn't find out till Dec 19... darn those slow post office pple, they had me really freaked out!)

Do any of you guys know when you're going to head out to omaha?
Orientation is aug 9-11, i was planning to move a few weeks earlier to get a feel for the place. We should all have a pre-school get together!

I am still trying to figure out where I am going. AL, or anyone else, have you heard anything back about scholarships?

If I do go to Creighton I am all up for a pre-school get together, but I would prefer a preschool get together where we eat snacks, play with Play-Doh and take naps on mats on the floor.

I haven't heard anything per scholarships, but I know they give ~30 out. These range from several thousand to full ride tuition. It is semi-secret as to who gets them; you can't apply for them as they are just given out based on a committee's decision. But, here in a month or so, we should be able to begin applying for need based scholarships etc based upon our FAFSA, I believe.

I wasn't lucky enough to receive one of the 30 or so scholarships that they give out before financial aid rewards, maybe if I'm lucky they still are giving them out!

I plan on moving down there way in advance to get my apt (or house) set up so that my new wife and I can adjust. I would be more than happy to have a get together before orientation!

Grant

hey, grant,
I know you said u were getting your immunizations done before school starts, which ones do you need?

Do we need to get the Hep B one beforehand? if so, I can get it from my work for free...

hey, grant,
I know you said u were getting your immunizations done before school starts, which ones do you need?

Do we need to get the Hep B one beforehand? if so, I can get it from my work for free...

hey, grant,

I'll be out there in the early summer to also get my place put together and to adjust to the area. I'm all for hanging out before orientation.

Kevin

Hi All,

I am also pretty sure that I will be heading to Creighton in the fall. I was very impressed by the school.

I am 23, went to undergrad at Arizona State, graduated in 2004. I currently reside in Portland, OR, and working at OHSU. I interviewed 11/4 and got the acceptance on 11/25 (it was a very happy Thanksgiving for me).

I probably will be heading out there closer to orientation but will definitely need a few weeks to settle in. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Also from ASU and headed to Creighton this summer. It will be nice to have another Sun Devil in the mix. I'm a non-trad with a wife and three children and everybody is excited to be moving to Nebraska. :rolleyes:

tegs15 said:
Also from ASU and headed to Creighton this summer. It will be nice to have another Sun Devil in the mix. I'm a non-trad with a wife and three children and everybody is excited to be moving to Nebraska. :rolleyes:
Did you interview on December 9? I could have sworn there was a non-trad ASU person in my interview group.

Yes, that was me. I wonder if the other guy that interviewed with our interviewer also got in (three for three)?

AL112934 said:
hey, grant,

Here are the required immunizations:

http://www.creighton.edu/StudentHealthServices/immunizations.html

Start the hep b series ASAP; it takes about 6 months I've been told to receive all 3 shots.

I look forward to starting school and meeting everyone else!!

I already know another ASU grad who will also be heading to Omaha, so that makes 3 already...at least there is one private school in the country that gives us west-coasters a fighting chance.

glenn503 said:
I already know another ASU grad who will also be heading to Omaha, so that makes 3 already...at least there is one private school in the country that gives us west-coasters a fighting chance.[/QUOTE

Well, yet another Sun Devil here..I am 22, not married, and not engaged...feel a little like an outcast because of it too!

gwendlyn said:
glenn503 said:
I already know another ASU grad who will also be heading to Omaha, so that makes 3 already...at least there is one private school in the country that gives us west-coasters a fighting chance.[/QUOTE

Well, yet another Sun Devil here..I am 22, not married, and not engaged...feel a little like an outcast because of it too!

So how many is that? There is glenn503 and his friend, AL112934, gwendlyn and myself; so far thats 5 out of 126. It will be nice to have some individuals there that are familiar with past experiences. Such as taking Genetics from Dr. Goldstein. Look forward to seeing you all there. How many of you will go to U of A if accepted there however?

5 (that we know of) from is ASU is a pretty good percentage! Fortunately, I took genetics during a summer session so I only had to deal with his alcoholic, chain-smoking TA which, from what I hear, was probably better than having Dr. Goldstein. I am actually an OR resident so no chance of getting into U of A, but I may end up going to OHSU (interview coming up soon). It will be a difficult choice if I get into OHSU because of the impression Creighton left on me.

Gwendyln - I am not married and not engaged so don't feel like such an outcast. Are the rumors true everyone? Does Creighton have a disproportionate number of students who are in committed relationships?

Hey everyone!

Just thought I would clarify. I went to University of Arizona! Go Wildcats!
Graduated Dec 2004, and I am female, if I didn't mention that earlier.
Sorry, I can't relate to this Dr. Goldstein you're all talking about. I had 3 professors for my genetics class, and I can't remember their names....

ne wayz, thx grant for the immunization info!

-Aileen

tegs15 said:
Yes, that was me. I wonder if the other guy that interviewed with our interviewer also got in (three for three)?
Were we talking to each other in the coffee and donuts room? Oh yeah!! We had the same interviewer, it's all coming back to me....

Just putting this out there...I already live in Omaha, so I would be willing to offer my apartment as a place to hold this little get together. I will be in Maine at a summer camp for my fourth summer, but will be back in town likely the weekend before orientation. We could plan for either that Monday or Tuesday night, could meet at my place and then head out to some of the local hotspots. Or we could plan on the Sat before orientation and go get Sushi at a great place in west Omaha. Anyway, let me know if anyone thinks this is a good idea. See you all in August...

Sushi in omaha?

Is that good?

Are they any good Mexico food restaurants in omaha? I'm gonna miss my horchatas and tacos....

Sushi about as far inland as humanly possible sounds kind of bad...I admit, but trust me, its awesome. And there are a couple of really nice authentic mexican places all over town. One downtown in the old market is good.

JPatton

Creighton must really love Arizona students. I am from UofA and was also accepted. Unfortunately, I turned down the acceptance for Loyola - one of the hardest decisions I've ever made since I loved both schools, and both Chicago and Omaha. Still not sure I made the right decision... :confused: Good luck to everybody this fall.

Mln,

I'm glad to hear you decided to come to Creighton, and I look forward to meeting you! Tell me a bit about yourself!

Grant

I think he turned down the Creighton acceptance for Loyola--unless I read his post incorrectly.