Creighton Pharmacy Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please tell me your secret to getting in, I have applied to Creighton and it didn't happen for me there. Do you think obtaining a master's degree would help get into the distance program?

Members don't see this ad.

where is everyone planning on living next year...(campus students, I mean)

I'm going to be at the Colbert Apartments on the corner of Harney and (42nd?) right next to the Nebraska Medical Center. It was classified as "Midtown" so I'm hoping it's a nice-ish area, we move out from California in 2 weeks :scared: Haha, what about you?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, guys! I'm one of the 55 too! yay~ I JUST found out about this website!! :p

Is everyone staying at on-campus housing for the web-based pharm welcome week? I'm driving with my husband and we're looking for an off-campus housing/hotel. Am I the only one??

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year and this year (Class of 2011) we had about 10-12 only stay in the on-campus housing. Everyone else either stayed with local relatives or at hotels.

Im thinkin of apply to creighton for fall 09 and was wondering if everyone here who has been excepted can share there stats to know if i have a chance. I have a 3.8 overall gpa and 4.0 pre-req gpa but not a every good PCAT score.

Hey, everyone! A lot of us have said we're in the distance program, but I can only guess at who everyone is due to their username. This is Andrew, who is everyone else? Private message or first name only is fine!

PharmGurl--I can tell you right now that Creighton is deeply concerned with making CARING and knowledgeable pharmacists. While they won't accept a person based solely on "I really want to help people" that will go a long way. My older school history (read: 10 years ago) was horrible, but the 3 years of pre-pharm I did was excellent. In my admissions essay I implored them to consider my current performance and GPA, not my cumulative. While I won't get into details, let me say that 3 years ago my GPA was less than 1.0 (from 10 years ago--I would register for classes and never attend, never dropping them either, so gained several F's), but hard work and year-round school (4 years worth in 3 years) and just shy of 4.0 performance during that time brought it up to just the minimum cumulative GPA required. I also worked, am married, and have 2 (now 3) kids during those 3 years, which I'm sure helped the realization that I was really working hard.

My PCAT score was good, as was most of our class. 2011 (last year's P1's) had an average of 89 on PCAT--this was told to us during our interviews. I never heard it myself, but according to another '12 student, ours was in the low to mid 90's. I can't honestly attest to that as the average, but he says the faculty told him this. I have no reason to doubt him. Mine was in that range, and so was his.

Learn about the Ignation Values that Creighton holds dear. They truly wish to create pharmacists that share these values--it is an amazingly caring school that truly is concerned with making great pharmacists. You really become part of a family at Creighton. If these values truly reflect your own, then tell them that. Put that in your application essays (Creighton has a supplemental app. that asks you such questions). Show that you want to become a pharmacist for these reasons, not for the paycheck. If you get an interview, relax and express these values. The interviewers are very kind, very relaxed, and just want to make sure you have what it takes to share Creighton's values, not that you are smart enough. Your application shows the smarts, they know you can handle the schooling--but can you handle the level of concern that they want to instill? If you get an interview, you are almost in. I think they said out of 534 applications (distance path only) 89 were interviewed, 75ish were accepted (including alternates) and 56 are attending (normally 55).

If you think your PCAT scores were too low (remember, average accepted ranges from 89 to mid-90's) then retake the test and strive for better. While there may be a statistical average between the scores for your "official" score, the admission board will see and understand the improvement--you are dedicated and willing to improve yourself.

Keep these things in mind. Creighton does not admit a GPA or PCAT score--they admit people, and they are very, very good at looking past the scores at the person. If they see a "piece of Creighton" in you, then your chances increase. If this wasn't the case, I wouldn't have had a prayer for being interviewed, let alone getting accepted. While I'm sure it's common in all difficult-to-get-in professional schools, I know several of us had the "I can't believe I was accepted over anyone else" disbelief. We all saw the negatives in our history while the admissions committee saw the positives both now and for the future.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help you if I can. You can send me a private message, or email me (if that option is available here--sorry this is my first post) if you don't want the questions to be for public consumption.