Creighton (Omaha) v. OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainmd1883

Reaction score
Hey all I need some help here, I have been fortunate to be accepted to multiple places and have narrowed it down to these 3 my 4th is OHSU (I love Oregon and want to go home back west, but at this point it might be too expensive) I was raised in the mountain region Colorado etc. and want to serve that region, obviously none of these are perfect fits, but out of the ones I have been accepted to they are some advice would be super helpful!! I have huge passions for serving globally underserved communities and rural underserved communities --> overall goal is to end up in a place like UT, CO, WY, ID, MT and serve rural underserved communities out there either surgically or family med and then provide care for short term mission trips as well.

Specialty wise I want to end up in something like rural surgery/general surgery or something in the OR but then I am very open to other specialties as long as I can serve the most vulnerable communities to the best of my ability, I am a very outdoorsy person, I love hiking and backpacking and my horse is being leased/rented by someone in AZ so having a link to that is good as well

Creighton (Omaha)
Pros​
  • The mission fit could not be more perfect I visited this school and love everything about their mission etc.
  • Close to CO
  • Curriculum structure (I love their didactic layout)
  • Mac book provided
  • Omaha is close to CO but also close to Ohio which is where my fiance is from and currently located
  • Lots of Global health opportunities
  • Some rural opportunities (not as many as Oregon)
  • Research opportunities (vast in everything I want to focus on)
  • Incredible mentoring and residency preparation
  • Matches into places I want to do residency at/location regions consistently
  • Culture is incredibly kind and supportive
  • Creighton has an AZ campus that I could do some rotations at and also see my horse
  • MPH program
  • Cost of living is so reasonable
  • Faith based, the whole person perspective and Christian mission are something I would like to continue to grow in personally, but also to compliment my training in medicine
  • Have courses integrated that help students in their own personal wellness as a physician as well as financial wellness (which they should because that is one large ticket price)
Cons
  • Have received no scholarships from here and the ticket price is painful
  • Move is expensive (my mom and fiance are relocating for me)
  • No family in the area but nearby support systems in neighboring states
  • Grading is H/P/F (honors is 10% of class) there is no rank but I know this might bother me
  • Know very little about the area
  • It's very much downtown Omaha I am not a city girl at all, but I liked Omaha.. for a city
  • Limited away rotations
OUWB (haven't seen campus/area yet)

Pros
  • Half tuition scholarship
  • Lots of mentoring opportunities
  • Good hospital system to be linked to
  • Built in research project
  • Some global health opportunities
  • Curriculum layout is good
  • Very supportive community
  • H/P/F (only a pro because the honors part is not curved or ranked)
  • iPad, pencil, MacBook
  • Great surgical opportunities in rotations they have optho as a core, which isn't necessarily an interest
  • Good match rate, but not consistently where I would want to be
  • Close to Ohio (my fiance's family, easy move for my mom/may not even have to move if she doesn't want to)
  • Faculty and staff are VERY invested in their students, the community is there
  • Match rate is 100% with most students matching into their top 5
  • The area is nice but expensive
Cons
  • H/P/F + MSPE ranking, honestly would love just solid P/F as I have such a tendency to place my identity in this
  • Michigan, its a pro and a con
  • Mission fit is there but it's not as incredibly clear as I have seen yet
  • Not as many opportunities for global health (there is some) and rural medicine (they have Troy community hospitals, but this area is not as rural) a
  • Have a feeling its just me being bitter towards the midwest and not liking the idea of being stuck here for another 4 years
  • No MPH program
  • Far away from my horse as well as community/family out west except my mom
  • Rochester is more expensive than others, I have heard good things, but a little more pricey (obvi not CA or Portland, but still a little more expensive)
  • Newer... less matching out west except California but still some matching
  • Area is nice but expensive
Overall this is such a hard toss up for me, it seems like OUWB matches better overall, but Creighton matches more to where I want to be but not necessarily all the specialties I want to be in. Creighton technically has more rural/global opportunities but I am not sure any help would really be appreciated!! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OUWB based on finances, both are great choices for your endeavors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OUWB based on finances, both are great choices for your endeavors.
Agreed. Sounds like you may like creighton a bit more (stronger pros and less cons) so you will have to weigh whether the financial offer from OUWB is enough to offset that. Also, I wouldn’t necessarily overanalyze match lists; both of those schools match pretty solidly.

It sounds like your desire to serve underserved communities, your affinity for the outdoors/rural areas, and faith are defining features of who you are. I recognize that Creighton is more expensive, but it checks off many more boxes than OUWB besides the financial one. OUWB isn't in a city per se, but as someone who has lived in SE Michigan for the past 5 or so years, you're not going to find many great outdoor opportunities nearby other than some mediocre parks. You can drive to northern Michigan which is really beautiful, but I doubt you'll have much time for that. Rochester is definitely a nice area, but it'll be very different from what you're used to I assume. I think if you want to match out west eventually, Creighton is a much better bet. And as someone who will be taking on the full burden of tuition costs, I think having all of these boxes checked warrants paying the extra money relative to OUWB.

On the other hand, flights from Detroit to Denver are normally pretty affordable and quick-ish. DTW is also a really nice, pretty relaxed airport. And it's also MUCH closer to Ohio than Nebraska (I've done the Detroit to Denver drive -- it's hell). So although you'd be far from your support system geographically, I don't think going to OUWB would make it that much harder to see your family and fiance than going to Creighton.

All in all, I would probably go with Creighton here personally!

Reactions: 1 user
I would also consider the fact that it is still entirely possible (and likely) that you will receive scholarship for Creighton at some point during the 4 years. They offer financial aid to almost all their students at some point and the average graduating debt is actually surprisingly low (according to BeMo Consulting: $29k).

I was also accepted at Creighton this cycle and have been trying to make a similar decision. I was told by the financial aid office that a lot of scholarship money is given to MS3-MS4 students. It’s not guaranteed but it is worth considering. If the lifestyle of Creighton is a much better fit for you, and there is a good chance of scholarship money that could bring tuition down in the future, I would go with Creighton. It may require you to make sacrifices in other areas financially (cheaper apartment, more budgeting, etc.) but in the end if you’re happy and enjoying the school lifestyle then you won’t regret it.