creighton class of 2010: late night ramblings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ginephre

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard back from the stuff we had to submit for the background check? i filled out and mailed in the forms like two days after we received the packet and haven't heard anything from CU stating that they received anything or from the company stating that my background "checked out." :eek: and didn't i read somewhere that we were supposed to be getting a june mailing with more orientation info? anyone received anything? web-based, have you guys heard anything since your orientation is before ours? AND, i got a scholarship with the form to send back to accept or decline. anyone else who accepted a scholarship, how long did it take for it to show up on your financial aid account or has it at all?

Members don't see this ad.

ginephre said:
has anyone heard back from the stuff we had to submit for the background check? i filled out and mailed in the forms like two days after we received the packet and haven't heard anything from CU stating that they received anything or from the company stating that my background "checked out." :eek: and didn't i read somewhere that we were supposed to be getting a june mailing with more orientation info? anyone received anything? web-based, have you guys heard anything since your orientation is before ours? AND, i got a scholarship with the form to send back to accept or decline. anyone else who accepted a scholarship, how long did it take for it to show up on your financial aid account or has it at all?

I haven't received anything yet regarding the background check either, but I mailed mine close to the deadline. I emailed Shawn Cook last week about receiving an orientation packet and he said to expect an email around July 1st. You may want to check your CU email account. I just received an email Fri telling us a little about the dorms, etc.

I also sent my stuff in a day or two after we got the background check info and I haven't heard anything either. I am glad to know other people are having the same "issue" I was pacing at night wondering what came up :laugh:

I havent hear anything about orientation either, but I did get a copy of last year's orientation schedule from a future classmate of ours. Nothing earth shattering. I did take the Myers Briggs test last night, of course I was disappointed that we have to wait until orientaion to get the report.

I also got a scholarship (I think most people got a scholarship/grant). I sent in my paperwork and it took a little while for it to get listed on my financial aide. One note, if you took out sub and unsub loans some of your sub loan will be converted into an unsub loan (ex, if you got a $2000 scholarship you are elgible for $2000 less sub money so they give it to you as an unsub loan and you have to fill out another MPN). Just as a heads up. I was so CONFUSED about the whole thing esp since I didnt want to take out more unsub loans. I guess there was an email that explained it all but I didnt get anything, except an email saying what my award was.

Im starting to get so anxious about starting school. Is anyone going to try to get their books before hand? i know we have had a few emails from people selling their books but I was going to look up the ISBN on half.com or whatever and try to get them cheap. Or is this not a good idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
i've gotten a lot of my books from both amazon.com and half.com, it just depends on where i can get a particular book for cheaper. is there a list of what books we need? i was kinda wary about buying them from a past student, just in case they get new editions or something. i haven't done the myers-briggs thing yet but i've taken it before so i know what to expect. thanks for the responses guys, i feel a lot better now! :D

ginephre said:
i've gotten a lot of my books from both amazon.com and half.com, it just depends on where i can get a particular book for cheaper. is there a list of what books we need? i was kinda wary about buying them from a past student, just in case they get new editions or something. i haven't done the myers-briggs thing yet but i've taken it before so i know what to expect. thanks for the responses guys, i feel a lot better now! :D

Yeah, I havent looked into the books as with my luck profs would change their mind on which one we will need. I dont want to end up with books we dont need/use. I heard they are redoing the cirriculum for this year.

ginephre said:

I received the results of my background check last week by email. I filled it out around the time that you did so hopefully you will be hearing back from them soon. Regarding the scholarships, mine posted to my account about a week after they received my official acceptance of the scholarship. If you accepted a scholarship awhile back and it still doesn't show up on your on-line financial aid web page, I would email or call just to make sure that they received your acceptance (assuming that you had to do what I did which was send back the letter confirming your acceptance of the scholarship).

klebsiella said:
Yeah, I havent looked into the books as with my luck profs would change their mind on which one we will need. I dont want to end up with books we dont need/use. I heard they are redoing the cirriculum for this year.

I decided to wait to see what editions, etc we need as well. I hope they let us know soon as I would like to get mine ahead of time. Anyone able to waive a course older that 7 yrs. old? I took A&P in 1996 and have to submit a letter stating how I use the course every day. I'm beginning to think just taking the class would be easier than locating syllabi, etc. Oh well. I'm not giving up yet.

cytogal said:
I decided to wait to see what editions, etc we need as well. I hope they let us know soon as I would like to get mine ahead of time. Anyone able to waive a course older that 7 yrs. old? I took A&P in 1996 and have to submit a letter stating how I use the course every day. I'm beginning to think just taking the class would be easier than locating syllabi, etc. Oh well. I'm not giving up yet.

I tried to get my microbiology waived, but I had taken it 7 years ago and the prof thought that I needed to take it again. Don't give up hope, though, the prof for A&P (at least for the anatomy portion) seems really cool and flexible. I did not get physiology waived since I was a credit short (I think you need 6 A&P credits and I had 5). Good luck!!

klebsiella said:
I tried to get my microbiology waived, but I had taken it 7 years ago and the prof thought that I needed to take it again. Don't give up hope, though, the prof for A&P (at least for the anatomy portion) seems really cool and flexible. I did not get physiology waived since I was a credit short (I think you need 6 A&P credits and I had 5). Good luck!!

Thanks! I'm not giving up yet. In addition to A&P, I've taken a full year of Histology and a year internship for Cytology. You'd think that would count for something. We'll see!

Did everyone check out the email CU just sent us? Our laptops sound pretty nice! I can't wait to get it. Is everyone excited to start in the fall? :D

cytogal said:
Did everyone check out the email CU just sent us? Our laptops sound pretty nice! I can't wait to get it. Is everyone excited to start in the fall? :D

I am chomping at the bit! I have so much to do since I am campus based and I have to move. I had quit my job so I had a month to get everything ready, but I was going crazy at home so I talked my old boss into letting me work for the next two weeks. When I was at home I kept doing things like looking up book prices, housing info and anything pharmacy/omaha related. SO I figured my obsession wasn't healthy so back to work I went! :laugh:

I check my CU email several times a day hoping to hear some new tid-bit of information. (Such a dork I know) I am just so excited to be starting. I didn't think I would be the "EEK I got into pharmacy school...woohoo" grrl, but that is me. :laugh:

P/S: if anyone can't find the student profile/tag site (I didnt see it in our email).

http://spahp.creighton.edu/spahp/student_affairs/forms/profile.asp

klebsiella said:
I am chomping at the bit! I have so much to do since I am campus based and I have to move. I had quit my job so I had a month to get everything ready, but I was going crazy at home so I talked my old boss into letting me work for the next two weeks. When I was at home I kept doing things like looking up book prices, housing info and anything pharmacy/omaha related. SO I figured my obsession wasn't healthy so back to work I went! :laugh:

I check my CU email several times a day hoping to hear some new tid-bit of information. (Such a dork I know) I am just so excited to be starting. I didn't think I would be the "EEK I got into pharmacy school...woohoo" grrl, but that is me. :laugh:

P/S: if anyone can't find the student profile/tag site (I didnt see it in our email)

http://spahp.creighton.edu/spahp/student_affairs/forms/profile.asp

Thanks for the link! I didn't see it either!

yay! i got approved to waive anatomy! btw, is anyone going to be in omaha this weekend? i'll be there looking for an apartment!

Members don't see this ad :)
ginephre said:
yay! i got approved to waive anatomy! btw, is anyone going to be in omaha this weekend? i'll be there looking for an apartment!

Congrats on waiving anatomy! I'm excited b/c from looking at the posted schedule of classes not taking anatomy means friday mornings are free! :thumbup: I think we only have biochem in the afternoon.

Did you hear back about your background check? I had to call the company b/c I forgot to check the box stating I wanted an electronic copy emailed to me. If you haven't gotten your check here is the info for the company. I just called and asked...they were pretty nice.

Verified Credentials
Toll Free: 1.800.938.6090
Email: [email protected]

I wish you luck on finding a place. Can you please post if you see anything fabulous (and cheap). I won't be able to get away until the 22nd...cutting it close I know. I just hope I find something and am not living in my car for the first few weeks of class :laugh:

klebsiella said:
Congrats on waiving anatomy! I'm excited b/c from looking at the posted schedule of classes not taking anatomy means friday mornings are free! :thumbup: I think we only have biochem in the afternoon.

Did you hear back about your background check? I had to call the company b/c I forgot to check the box stating I wanted an electronic copy emailed to me. If you haven't gotten your check here is the info for the company. I just called and asked...they were pretty nice.

Verified Credentials
Toll Free: 1.800.938.6090
Email: [email protected]

I wish you luck on finding a place. Can you please post if you see anything fabulous (and cheap). I won't be able to get away until the 22nd...cutting it close I know. I just hope I find something and am not living in my car for the first few weeks of class :laugh:

duh, i probably forgot to check that box too! :rolleyes: i guess i'll call them. i'm going to try to look at a lot of places so i'll let you all know where i checked out. i'm trying to find something within about 10 minutes that's cheap and pays at least some utilities, so hopefully i'll find something!

I am going to be out of the country for the next two weeks on a service trip...would someone post our orientation information or any other information we get from CU during this time. I won't have access to my mail and I want to make sure I dont miss a deadline or something. I truly appreciate it!

Also, did anyone (who is campus based but doesn't have a place in Omaha yet) fill out that demographic sheet? Im wondering if I should just leave the address blank and put my current cell phone number down? Thoughts

i found an apartment! its at the corner of 36th and Cuming, only 12 blocks from school! a few of the apts i looked at were pretty crappy and only having two days to look i was really glad to find the one i did! for those of you still looking, i looked online at omaha.com and the forrent.com etc websites. i did notice, though, that there were a LOT of places not advertising that had signs out in front of their buildings. so if you have a few days, it might be useful to just drive around and write down numbers or stop by the places with signs. unless you know omaha well, it's hard to determine from the address if its a good area or not because it seemed like it varied from block to block in the area around CU. let me know if you have any questions! i'm getting SOOOOO excited! :D

klebsiella said:
Congrats!! Im so excited for you. Any idea as to when you are moving in?

yeah, the day before orientation! one of my fiance's groomsmen is getting married aug 12 in arizona, so we're flying back to denver sunday and driving to omaha! i won't be getting much sleep that night, so hopefully whatever we do monday doesnt involve too much thinking!

When is everyone getting to Omaha for orientation (web-based)? I am arriving Sun morning. Are you guys getting a rental car? Do you have any family/friends coming with you to attend the professionalism ceremony on Aug 2nd? I was thinking of having my husband fly out for a couple of days to attend it and see the school, etc. I'm not sure what we are doing yet and was just curious to see what others were doing. :)

cytogal said:
When is everyone getting to Omaha for orientation (web-based)? I am arriving Sun morning. Are you guys getting a rental car? Do you have any family/friends coming with you to attend the professionalism ceremony on Aug 2nd? I was thinking of having my husband fly out for a couple of days to attend it and see the school, etc. I'm not sure what we are doing yet and was just curious to see what others were doing. :)

I am arriving Sunday afternoon. I was probably going to take a taxi to campus. I am not sure if I will have much of a need for a rental car. I am pretty sure it will be just me at the professionalism ceremony. Excited to see everyone there. :D

dcupharm said:
I am arriving Sunday afternoon. I was probably going to take a taxi to campus. I am not sure if I will have much of a need for a rental car. I am pretty sure it will be just me at the professionalism ceremony. Excited to see everyone there. :D

I am arriving on sunday afternoon just after 12:00. I am renting a car, so if anyone needs a ride let me know. It will just be me at the professionalism ceremony. Also, has anyone tried to waive boichem? I was approved to waive micro and physiology, but have not heard back about biochem. See everyone in a couple of weeks.

has anyone campus-based received the orientation packet yet? i'm starting to get nervous about it! :scared:

i like creighton, i got a couple friends who go there for dental and md.......very nice campus, and perfect if youre a catholic too........

cytogal said:

I am arriving on Sunday afternoon around the same time as dcupharm and I will be taking a taxi to the campus. It will just be me at the professionalism ceremony (given that I will be unemployed soon, we can't afford to purchase another airline ticket for my husband to fly to Omaha for the ceremony).

mph2pharm said:
I am arriving on Sunday afternoon around the same time as dcupharm and I will be taking a taxi to the campus. It will just be me at the professionalism ceremony (given that I will be unemployed soon, we can't afford to purchase another airline ticket for my husband to fly to Omaha for the ceremony).

Where is everyone staying for the Web-Based Orientation? I have looked into the dorms and some hotels. I am flying in to Omaha on Saturday. If I am staying in the dorms, do I need to bring sheets and bedding? That may be a dumb question, but I may just stay in a hotel so I dont have to worry about it.

I am staying in the dorms (you can't beat $17.00 per night). I guess that is a good question regarding whether or not we need to bring sheets. If I can't get an answer by the time I leave for Omaha then I will just bring a pair from home. If I were you, I wouldn't pay $100.00 plus per night to stay at a hotel if I could stay on campus for much less cost. But hey...if you have the money to spare and you will be more comfortable then go for it. Also another thing about staying in the dorms is that you don't have to worry about transportation back and forth to campus because you will be on campus.

For a split second I thought about staying off campus but then I said to myself, being in the dorms is a good way to meet/socialize with other students in the program. I just hope that my roommate isn't crazy :eek: .

planters said:
Where is everyone staying for the Web-Based Orientation? I have looked into the dorms and some hotels. I am flying in to Omaha on Saturday. If I am staying in the dorms, do I need to bring sheets and bedding? That may be a dumb question, but I may just stay in a hotel so I dont have to worry about it.

I called the office of academic and student affairs and asked if we needed to bring sheets and towels. The person I spoke to said she believes that we will be supplied with a set of sheets, a pillow, and two towels. I will probably call again when it gets closer just to make sure.

RxMom said:
I called the office of academic and student affairs and asked if we needed to bring sheets and towels. The person I spoke to said she believes that we will be supplied with a set of sheets, a pillow, and two towels. I will probably call again when it gets closer just to make sure.

Thanks for the update! I am so excited...I just found out that I don't have to take A & P. That's one less class to worry about! I can't believe orientation is only a week and a half away! Yikes!!! :eek:

cytogal said:
Thanks for the update! I am so excited...I just found out that I don't have to take A & P. That's one less class to worry about! I can't believe orientation is only a week and a half away! Yikes!!! :eek:

Congrats on being able to waive A&P!!

A moment to ramble: My new hubby just found a job in Omaha so he gets to move with me!! YEAH! Im so excited.

RxMom said:

Thanks RxMom for the info!

Just a few other things to add (based on conversations with a current web-based student)....the dress code is pretty casual for most of the week...capris, polo shirts, jeans, ect. but of course the White Coat ceremony is more dressy attire. It was suggested that I wear a decent looking shirt on Monday because our pictures will be taken (I guess for a campus ID) and finally, although we will be supplied with towels, I was told that they suck pretty bad so I was encouraged to bring a towel set from home.

mph2pharm said:
Thanks RxMom for the info!

Just a few other things to add (based on conversations with a current web-based student)....the dress code is pretty casual for most of the week...capris, polo shirts, jeans, ect. but of course the White Coat ceremony is more dressy attire. It was suggested that I wear a decent looking shirt on Monday because our pictures will be taken (I guess for a campus ID) and finally, although we will be supplied with towels, I was told that they suck pretty bad so I was encouraged to bring a towel set from home.

Thanks for that info. I guess I'll be lugging a set of towels from home!

hey guys, if you are interested in interning at walgreens, call Cathy at 402-551-4098. she helps with finding jobs for interns. i just got set up at a walgreens in council bluffs! so far, i'm the only P1 there so they might need a couple more! good luck!

ginephre said:
hey guys, if you are interested in interning at walgreens, call Cathy at 402-551-4098. she helps with finding jobs for interns. i just got set up at a walgreens in council bluffs! so far, i'm the only P1 there so they might need a couple more! good luck!

Good looking out, ginephre. I was just trying to figure out how to get a pharmacy job! I got offered a research position at CU med school, but was thinking I should get pharmacy experience since I don't have any.

Just wondering if anyone is interested in meeting at the airport on Sun and splitting the cost of a cab to CU. I am arriving around 9:30am but am willing to hang around the airport a while if needed. Let me know. :) What is everyone wearing to the professionalism ceremony? I'm going shopping this weekend, but am trying to decide if I want to wait until I get to Omaha to find something to wear.

cytogal said:
Just wondering if anyone is interested in meeting at the airport on Sun and splitting the cost of a cab to CU. I am arriving around 9:30am but am willing to hang around the airport a while if needed. Let me know. :) What is everyone wearing to the professionalism ceremony? I'm going shopping this weekend, but am trying to decide if I want to wait until I get to Omaha to find something to wear.

I am arriving just a little past noon on sunday, and am renting a car while I am there. Your more than welcome to catch a ride with me, but I don't know if you want to hang around the airport that long. I am wearing a short sleeve knee length black dress to the ceremony. Is anyone else taking any challenge exams during orientation? I was waived for micro and physiology, but have to take the exam for biochem.

cytogal said:
Just wondering if anyone is interested in meeting at the airport on Sun and splitting the cost of a cab to CU. I am arriving around 9:30am

While I am not web-based, I will be dropping my husband off at the airport Sunday at 9am so if you need a ride let me know. I will be driving right by creighton!

klebsiella said:
While I am not web-based, I will be dropping my husband off at the airport Sunday at 9am so if you need a ride let me know. I will be driving right by creighton!

I would be willing to split a cab with anyone but I don't get in till like 230pm on Sun. Not sure you want to hang around that long. I was probably going to wear a black and white knee length dress to the professional ceremony.

dcupharm said:
I would be willing to split a cab with anyone but I don't get in till like 230pm on Sun. Not sure you want to hang around that long. I was probably going to wear a black and white knee length dress to the professional ceremony.

I will split a cab with you since my flight gets in at 2:02 pm on Sun. One of my friends was going to pick me up from the airport but this will save him a trip.

RxMom said:
I am arriving just a little past noon on sunday, and am renting a car while I am there. Your more than welcome to catch a ride with me, but I don't know if you want to hang around the airport that long. I am wearing a short sleeve knee length black dress to the ceremony. Is anyone else taking any challenge exams during orientation? I was waived for micro and physiology, but have to take the exam for biochem.

I just may catch a ride with you...thanks everyone for offering! I don't have to take any challenge exams, but was waived for anatomy. I am wearing black pants with a black and white short-sleeved blouse.

Is anyone going to attend the chat session this Wed with the P2 web based student?

I'll be attending the chat session. My flight won't be arriving until 7:41pm. If anyone will be getting there that late, let me know.

I will also be attending the chat session Wed. :) Has everyone received their info regarding the background check? I still haven't gotten my copy.

cytogal said:
I will also be attending the chat session Wed. :) Has everyone received their info regarding the background check? I still haven't gotten my copy.

Hi cytogal,

Regarding the background check, did you give them your email address? I think that there was a place on one of the background check forms where you could give them your email address if you wanted to receive a copy. Maybe that is why you haven't received anything....you may want to call just to make sure that it has been processed.