Creighton (AZ) vs Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinjames0

Reaction score
Hi SDN! Please help me narrow down my choice to one school!

Creighton Pro
- closer to home/family/SO (6hr drive)
- city (better transportation/easier travel)
- weather (mostly amazing except mid-summer)
- a lot of non mandatory lectures

Creighton Con
- COA $100k
- H/P/F all 4 years
- weak research

Western Michigan Pro
- COA $85k with $15k grant/scholarship!
- P/F preclinical
- decompressed curriculum (1-2 week vacation after each block + 3 free blocks throughout each week)
- emphasis on mental well-being of students
- school seems to communicate a lot throughout app cycle => interest/passion.

Western Michigan Con
- bad weather (hate the cold)
- far from home/family/SO (6hr flight)
- small town
- decompressed curriculum makes it expensive to travel home.
- lots of mandatory lectures/team discussions
- weak research

Not sure about residency programs but neither seems to have any home residency for competitive specialties so maybe using P/F at wmed to do research might be better? But both schools have weak research.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

7/10 times, I always say P/F curriculums save you so much stress in your learning environment so I would recommend Western Michigan, given that your SO is okay with the long-distance relationship or if there's a serious plan of action involved to have them relocate closer to you.

I don't think the P/F preclinical is going to give you a huge advantage if you are miserable from the cold and distance from your support system. I say creighton!

Save your money and go to WMED! The learning atmosphere is great there, and the decompressed schedule actually gives you a week in between rotations to travel