Credit Reports/ Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allerian1004

Practicing Vampire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm alittle confused about what I need to send in for my credit report. I'm in the process of filling out financial aid stuff. NYMC and MCW both request credit reports. At NYMC they tell you to go to myfico.com to get your credit score. Do they need the report and score because you can get free reports but must pay for your score. From myfico.com credit scores from all three bureaus cost $49. I don't want to spend that if I don't have to!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

speaking of credit reports, what kind of a score is okay?

I know >700 is ideal but is 650-675 sufficient?

I'm alittle confused about what I need to send in for my credit report. I'm in the process of filling out financial aid stuff. NYMC and MCW both request credit reports. At NYMC they tell you to go to myfico.com to get your credit score. Do they need the report and score because you can get free reports but must pay for your score. From myfico.com credit scores from all three bureaus cost $49. I don't want to spend that if I don't have to!
Thanks

For MCW you just need to send in the free report which doesn't need the credit score (which is offered for free anually.) I'm not familiar with NYMC, but if they ask for the credit score I think you'll have to pay for it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've heard at fin aid presentations that if you have over 620 you'll be able to get your loans - but they'll be high interest.

If your school asks for a report but not the score, I'd just go to annualcreditreport.com and get the free report. However, I'd guess that they might want to see your score, in which case you'd have to cough up the money. But even then it might be cheaper going through annualcreditreport.com since they'll offer you the score when you're getting your free report.

Anyways, as far as scores go you'll probably want to have a 700 or so, but it's not going to kill you if you have a 670 or something.

Stop applying for new credit cards/lines if you've been doing that, and even if you pay off your credit cards each month, try to stop using them for a month or so. That'll lower your utilization ratios for a quick credit score boost.

If you're carrying balances, you'd have to pay down your balances real quick to get a boost (and of course, stop using the cards). If you have several cards with balances I'd pay off the card that has a balance that's closest to it's limit first, since that impacts your score too.

If you really have a lousy score I'd suggest going over to creditboards and reading up on it there, since there's no way I could type out every possible tip, lol.

So could med schools look up your credit before accepting you? They asked us at the interview who had debt over a thousand dollars, and the lady seemed surprised when no one raised their hand. I forgot I owed some money non-credit card related and didn't raise my hand. I'm probably being paranoid about that though.

Stop applying for new credit cards/lines if you've been doing that, and even if you pay off your credit cards each month, try to stop using them for a month or so. That'll lower your utilization ratios for a quick credit score boost.

I'm at 700-730 (depending on the company). I just applied for another Visa, and I generally put $100-300 on the one card I have no each month, and always pay it off at the end of the month.

Will this hurt my credit score? I mean if people can stop doing them to increase their score, will doing them drop mine?

Why are schools requesting credit reports? Shouldn't they be pulling them themselves rather than requesting them from the consumer? That just doesn't sound right to me! :eek: Can someone explain why you have to submit this information? Your loans shouldn't have any credit score issue, they aren't granting you any loans you are going through separate companies for federal/private aid ... this sounds so bad on many different levels to me.

So could med schools look up your credit before accepting you? They asked us at the interview who had debt over a thousand dollars, and the lady seemed surprised when no one raised their hand. I forgot I owed some money non-credit card related and didn't raise my hand. I'm probably being paranoid about that though.
No, they can't. And yes you are being paranoid ;) No worries about credit, its the least of your worries

I'm at 700-730 (depending on the company). I just applied for another Visa, and I generally put $100-300 on the one card I have no each month, and always pay it off at the end of the month.

Will this hurt my credit score? I mean if people can stop doing them to increase their score, will doing them drop mine?
No, this won't. You pay off your balances every month, that is a great way to establish credit. Credit is a complicated issue and has many factors that affect score (I'll go into that later though).

Only thing you need for credit score are private loans. Most students that have credit either have a low score due to lack of valid credit repayment or they have a high score b/c they have a few credit cards open for a few years and minimal student loan and other debts. Anything probably 620-650 and above you are fine for private loans (the higher of that range is better though).

I don't understand why the school is interested in your credit........are they extending you credit?

Putting $100 to $300 on your card won't negatively affect your score UNLESS your credit limit happens to be $300 or $350 (or something similarly low).
As long as you're not using a large portion of your credit limit each month, it won't hurt your score.

So let's say you have 2 credit cards, one with a $1000 limit, and one with a $3000 limit.

Even if you paid it off immediately, if you charged $2800 to the $3000 limit card, and $800 to the $1000 limit card, for that month it would look (to the credit bureaus) like you borrowing $3600 out of the $4000 maximum you could. Which would be very bad for your score.

Now, another person could charge the same $3600 to a card but not have their score hit as hard, if that person had a lot of credit in total. So if they had 2 cards with a $30,000 limit and a $10,000 limit, and they charged up $3600 total that month, it would be a much smaller percentage of their total available credit.

Anyways, your credit score is great, 700-730 is fine, so don't be too paranoid. Just don't start charging the limit on your cards for no reason and you'll be fine =)

I don't understand why the school is interested in your credit........are they extending you credit?

Good question. I would like more information on this, too, since one of the schools that I am going be interviewing at, is going to pull up my credit report. I also heard a rumor that there is one school in Washington, DC, that won't let you matriculate if you have bad credit. Sort of alarming.

Why are schools requesting credit reports? Shouldn't they be pulling them themselves rather than requesting them from the consumer? That just doesn't sound right to me! :eek: Can someone explain why you have to submit this information? Your loans shouldn't have any credit score issue, they aren't granting you any loans you are going through separate companies for federal/private aid ... this sounds so bad on many different levels to me.

They're actually doing you a favor by making you pull your own report and score. If they pulled it, it would count as a hard pull against you, and actually lower your credit score-because most pulls only occur when you're applying for credit, and so it would just look like you were looking to borrow money (which makes you a bigger risk since it might mean you're strapped for cash).

By making you pull it yourself, it's just a regular person being responsible and checking on their own credit-which doesn't hurt your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to put a post together right now but I'll have to do it later explaining credit and answering your questions. So check back later and I'll post information that will be useful to you to understand credit and credit scores.

I think schools just want to make sure you can pay (or rather, you can get loans so they get paid, lol), since you might need private loans to cover everything.

And one could argue that your credit is also a reflection of how responsible you are as a person, since constantly forgetting to pay your bills isn't really a great trait to have, lol.

Good question. I would like more information on this, too, since one of the schools that I am going be interviewing at, is going to pull up my credit report. I also heard a rumor that there is one school in Washington, DC, that won't let you matriculate if you have bad credit. Sort of alarming.

Insurance companies in Texas were checking credit reports as a way to rate customers, but the insurance commisioner has recently made them stop. It seems to me a violation of something.....I'm not sure what though.

I was going to put a post together right now but I'll have to do it later explaining credit and answering your questions. So check back later and I'll post information that will be useful to you to understand credit and credit scores.

I think this is honestly best left for a place like Creditboards.com, since it'd be next to impossible to cover everything in a single post. Plus, there's literally enough info to fill an entire forum, lol.

There's also a financial forum here on SDN though, so if you really want to post it might make more sense over there?

Anyways, if you're applying now and the schools are asking for your scores right now, there's only so many things one can do in a 1-2 month span to clean up their score. Anything else is going to take a bit longer to pull off. So other than the tips I gave before about the only other thing is to start fighting any inaccuracies on your reports that are harming your score (of course, if there are inaccuracies helping your score...lol).

Sup Cirrus, another CB'er here. :)

Do schools (who aren't granting you their OWN private loans) have PP (permissible purpose) in pulling your CR (they're not your employer, technically)? If they pull it, it could be an FCRA violation and you can successfully file suit against them for monetary damages.

Imagine that, suing your med school and winning. That wouldn't cause any grudges!

Anyone using MyFICO, be sure to use CPPSAVINGS to get 20% off. should still be working.

I think this is honestly best left for a place like Creditboards.com, since it'd be next to impossible to cover everything in a single post. Plus, there's literally enough info to fill an entire forum, lol.

There's also a financial forum here on SDN though, so if you really want to post it might make more sense over there?

Anyways, if you're applying now and the schools are asking for your scores right now, there's only so many things one can do in a 1-2 month span to clean up their score. Anything else is going to take a bit longer to pull off. So other than the tips I gave before about the only other thing is to start fighting any inaccuracies on your reports that are harming your score (of course, if there are inaccuracies helping your score...lol).
I requested this post to be moved to the financial aid forum and yes I create posts with links and information then I post it for people to use and myself to reference when questions like this come up again. (oh I just meant I'll create a post and then link it here, i wouldn't post it here! :D ) You can cover highs and lows in an informative post with no issue. I do it alot. I only cover the basics with references to more information. You have to remember, premeds don't know much about financial issues so they need an intro in basic language to understand what the jist is.

And yes Dallenoff, that is my concern that schools have NO BUSINESS asking you to submit your credit report .... :confused:

They want to make sure that you will be able to fund your education because lots of students have to go beyond federal borrowing for medical school. If they were looking at the reports to work with you if you have credit problems and make it easier for you to get loans, that'd be good. I agree it seems sort of creepy, though, and I don't really know what they do with them.

I'm surprised schools are still asking for them with the new GradPlus loans. The GradPlus loans have really lenient credit standards and allow cosigners if you can't meet that.

I think schools just want to make sure you can pay (or rather, you can get loans so they get paid, lol), since you might need private loans to cover everything.

And one could argue that your credit is also a reflection of how responsible you are as a person, since constantly forgetting to pay your bills isn't really a great trait to have, lol.

I see your point....it does speak of your character- sometimes.....However, I feel sorry for someone that may have gotten into trouble because of some event that they had no control over.

Sup Cirrus, another CB'er here. :)

Do schools (who aren't granting you their OWN private loans) have PP (permissible purpose) in pulling your CR (they're not your employer, technically)? If they pull it, it could be an FCRA violation and you can successfully file suit against them for monetary damages.

Imagine that, suing your med school and winning. That wouldn't cause any grudges!

Anyone using MyFICO, be sure to use CPPSAVINGS to get 20% off. should still be working.

My one experience with this last year was with a school that had me sign a consent form allowing them to check my credit. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't sign the form. I agree that they couldn't pull the report without your authorization, but it's a little grayer when they're either requiring you to sign a waiver or asking you to submit a copy yourself.

My one experience with this last year was with a school that had me sign a consent form allowing them to check my credit. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't sign the form. I agree that they couldn't pull the report without your authorization, but it's a little grayer when they're either requiring you to sign a waiver or asking you to submit a copy yourself.
Any school that asks you to submit it yourself are either extremely stupid or they don't know any better .... forgeries can run amuck. Signing a consent form would be the way to go.

I wonder how many schools actually require this though .... And is it part of the applciation process? I have NEVER heard of this. I could see if you were accepted, but still. I don't see it reflecting character by any means and I wonder what the cut off is .... I might look into this more. :)

Any school that asks you to submit it yourself are either extremely stupid or they don't know any better .... forgeries can run amuck. Signing a consent form would be the way to go.

I wonder how many schools actually require this though .... And is it part of the applciation process? I have NEVER heard of this. I could see if you were accepted, but still. I don't see it reflecting character by any means and I wonder what the cut off is .... I might look into this more. :)

Yeah, I guess it would be pretty easy to fake one. :) Requiring it before you're admitted is really, really creepy -- I hope that doesn't happen anywhere. The one school that checked my credit was KCUMB, but it was after I was accepted. As I recall, the acceptance package came with a consent form. After they ran it, their finaid office sent me a nice letter telling me I wouldn't have problems getting loans and a copy of the report. From that, I got the impression that they were doing it to help the students get an early start on rectifying any problems.

NYMC requires the score from myfico.com. They ask that you send it to them if you want to be considered for private loans.

NYMC requires the score from myfico.com. They ask that you send it to them if you want to be considered for private loans.
Why though? They don't give you the loans? They have no power over that ... they want to check to make sure you can pay before you attend after they accept you? :cool: I can understand THEIR concern but still, it just seems so pretenious. If the student can't afford it, that is what scholarships are for ... and most likely students aren't going to have the credit to begin with so why bother? I guess I really don't understand why they need to know this. I am definitely going to look into this. There is no need they need to review a credit report of my personal information. I would take offense as an invasion of privacy.

And how easy would it be to forge that information ...

Why though? They don't give you the loans? They have no power over that ... they want to check to make sure you can pay before you attend after they accept you? :cool: I can understand THEIR concern but still, it just seems so pretenious. If the student can't afford it, that is what scholarships are for ... and most likely students aren't going to have the credit to begin with so why bother? I guess I really don't understand why they need to know this. I am definitely going to look into this. There is no need they need to review a credit report of my personal information. I would take offense as an invasion of privacy.

And how easy would it be to forge that information ...

I dunno it makes sense to me.

Scholarships are for people who genuinely have need. Their parents are poor, they're poor, etc.

Scholarships are not for a 22 year old whose parents won't help them with med school tuition, but who signed up for one too many credit cards their freshman year and then rang up their credit and screwed up their credit report.

I think its understandable that the medical school wants to know that you can afford their tuition, either through your own credit or through a cosigner. They don't want someone to start matriculating only to find out that no banks will give them loans they need and they can't afford it.

As far as most of us not having credit goes, I should hope most people have at least 1 credit card by the age of 21/22. Even if only to establish credit. My parents had me start at like 18, and most of my friends have at least one line of credit building credit for them.

Scholarships have nothing to do with credit, nor should they. Most students are going to have minimal to no credit if they are coming out of college. I can see why schools like NYMC would want to make sure you can afford the school, but why is that their issue? They should have you work with a third-party NOT related to the school, such as a private lender, when you get your acceptance. A school has NO RIGHT to violate your privacy in that way of reviewing credit reports. I could go on why forever.

If any of you had to do this, I would ask your schools why they require it.

FCRA protects citizens and honestly this upsets me that some students have to submit to a school looking at your credit history which they have no right to feasibly do. If it were me I would be extremely pissed that I was forced to have to have someone look at my credit history. Apparently not all schools require it either so that is something else that throws up red flags ...

Funny this thing came up, I remember when I was at NYCOM, the fin aid lady said that if you don't have good credit please don't apply to this school. Maybe because cost of attendance is $65k/yr and increasing.

Funny this thing came up, I remember when I was at NYCOM, the fin aid lady said that if you don't have good credit please don't apply to this school. Maybe because cost of attendance is $65k/yr and increasing.

You know, it seems like maybe this is a better approach than requiring actually having the school check the credit report. The school should let you know what you need to do to qualify for loans and should tell you that you really need to check your credit asap to see if there are errors or problems on the report that would prevent you from getting loans. Having the school come in and do it for you is a little creepy.

Scholarships have nothing to do with credit, nor should they.

I agree with you. The only reason I mentioned scholarships was because you said "if you can't afford it - thats what scholarships are for." I was pointing out a very important difference between two types of people who can't afford it, and who should get he scholarships. Even if the person with bad credit can't get the loans and can't afford it otherwise, doesn't mean they deserve scholarships over someone who is genuinely poor but has a better credit report. So saying "if you can't afford it - thats what scholarships are for" REALLY doesn't help.

Most students are going to have minimal to no credit if they are coming out of college.
See I still disagree with this, by the time I graduated I knew very few people who didn't have at least one credit card that they were paying off monthly to establish credit.

I can see why schools like NYMC would want to make sure you can afford the school, but why is that their issue? They should have you work with a third-party NOT related to the school, such as a private lender, when you get your acceptance. A school has NO RIGHT to violate your privacy in that way of reviewing credit reports. I could go on why forever.

If any of you had to do this, I would ask your schools why they require it.

FCRA protects citizens and honestly this upsets me that some students have to submit to a school looking at your credit history which they have no right to feasibly do. If it were me I would be extremely pissed that I was forced to have to have someone look at my credit history. Apparently not all schools require it either so that is something else that throws up red flags ...

People look at your credit report all the time. Hell, to rent an apartment you have to submit a credit report most of the time. That really doesn't make sense to me because whether or not I have credit really doesn't affect whether I'll pay my rent - they should be talking to my boss about my salary instead.

But, regardless, I guess I just don't see it as something super personal like you do. NYMC wants to know that the people that start matriculating will be able to pay tuition all four years. They want to know you can get the appropriate loans. Some people who have horrendous credit might not be able to get the loans they need, PERIOD, without a cosigner. I think its reasonable that NYMC wants to know if you're one of those people. Because thats a concern.

Getting halfway through medical school and suddenly not being able to pay for it isn't good for anyone. You will have 120k of debt with no degree, and they'll have an empty place in their class.

Having a third party look at the credit report doesn't help them check for this problem, unless they actually pay the third party to report back to them. And then you're doing the same thing.

Other than that you think your credit report is some super private sacred thing, I haven't seen any good reason that a school shouldn't request this. With all the other things in life that require credit checks it really shouldn't be surprising or offensive. I mean do you get offended when potential credit cards, future landlords, etc check your credit?

See I still disagree with this, by the time I graduated I knew very few people who didn't have at least one credit card that they were paying off monthly to establish credit.
That isn't building credit, you need to have multiple tradelines open and used. I knew many people that didn't have a "solid" credit score due to the lack of credit. Not everyone has credit cards. I know MANY people who didn't have a credit card in college. Everyone's experience is different. And those who do have a credit card ... doesn't mean they use them wisely.

People look at your credit report all the time. Hell, to rent an apartment you have to submit a credit report most of the time. That really doesn't make sense to me because whether or not I have credit really doesn't affect whether I'll pay my rent - they should be talking to my boss about my salary instead.

But, regardless, I guess I just don't see it as something super personal like you do. NYMC wants to know that the people that start matriculating will be able to pay tuition all four years. They want to know you can get the appropriate loans. Some people who have horrendous credit might not be able to get the loans they need, PERIOD, without a cosigner. I think its reasonable that NYMC wants to know if you're one of those people. Because thats a concern.

Getting halfway through medical school and suddenly not being able to pay for it isn't good for anyone. You will have 120k of debt with no degree, and they'll have an empty place in their class.

Having a third party look at the credit report doesn't help them check for this problem, unless they actually pay the third party to report back to them. And then you're doing the same thing.

Other than that you think your credit report is some super private sacred thing, I haven't seen any good reason that a school shouldn't request this. With all the other things in life that require credit checks it really shouldn't be surprising or offensive. I mean do you get offended when potential credit cards, future landlords, etc check your credit?
You don't know much about credit fraud do you? Although that isn't what I'm mainly concerned about but my true concern is that you have to understand what those people see when they pull your credit. There are different types of "pulling" credit. If I'm going to use something for credit then I understand why they are asking for a credit report. Rent, sure. Cellphones are reaching it for me, but I understand. A school who wants to make sure you can pay? I can see where they are coming from but they need to have a third party provide this for credit fraud reasons (people fraudently submitting them though) as well as I really don't want nor do I feel that a school should have access including all of my personal credit accounts. There is no need for them. They don't do anything creditwise nor are they concerned with your credit. I understand they just want to make sure that you can pay but maybe this needs to go through the PRIVATE LENDER and not through the school.

I don't have the time to access the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) but maybe you are ignorant to the issue and rights that you have as a citizen. There are boundaries to the actions of these schools and I'm only thinking as an advocate of the students for unnecessary "access" to personal and private information. Your credit report contains your previous employment, housing, and credit history. What does a school really need that for? They don't. That is my issue. As a student I would be concerned with how they are using that information and what they do with it as well. As someone who has worked with credit reports EXTENSIVELY in my past, I just feel like something doesn't seem right to me in reference to asking students for credit reports. Hence why I brought up the idea of third parties. I am surprised parents have thrown a stink about this ...

You may not see an issue to it which is fine but I can guarantee that many people out there WOULD have an issue with this. Which is probably why not many schools have you go through this process. And while I know NYMC may be a private instution, there are other schools that rival this with loans and do not require you to submit a credit report. I'm fine with checking your credit, but I personally would rather it go to a third,non-related party rather than my schools financial aid office. Again, this is just MY insight and opinion fro... I'm sure some might differ and don't care who gets all their personal information. I guess I do being knowing victims of credit fraud and knowing my rights in reference to credit reporting.

As well as many students "don't know better" so they sign the form and just move on. I know you didn't give two thoughts to any of the information I probably just rattled off. My friend who had to go through the same thing just said that she didn't think of it in those terms as well. Now that it was stated like that, that might be a concern.

They aren't evaluators of credit (surprising financial aid offices aren't and most will give you mediocre advice about it) so they should leave that to a unrelated third party.

I don't know if this is the case for the school in question, but some schools have their own institutional loans. My school, for example has a couple of institutional loans they give out. The school is the lender, so I can see them having a valid claim for credit info. I just can't figure out why they would accept it from the student (I agree there is a fraud concern).

I don't know if this is the case for the school in question, but some schools have their own institutional loans. My school, for example has a couple of institutional loans they give out. The school is the lender, so I can see them having a valid claim for credit info. I just can't figure out why they would accept it from the student (I agree there is a fraud concern).
Yeah, totally agreed. A school lending its own instutional loan is the only reason that I can think of.

Other reasons that are OK:

* If you are applying for employment with the med school (not study there are a student), they can do an employment soft inquiry.
* If you are going to live in apartments that the med school owns, they can do a landlord inquiry.

Allerian1004 said:
At NYMC they tell you to go to myfico.com to get your credit score.
What's funny is MyFICO.com provides an *unofficial*, third party credit report. The only thing that is official on their reports is the FICO score. NYMC is acting sketchy here.

What's funny is MyFICO.com provides an *unofficial*, third party credit report. The only thing that is official on their reports is the FICO score. NYMC is acting sketchy here.

Its not for NYMC - its for you. NYMC is very big on you being sure you can pay for med school before you start. They really tried to hammer it into your head on interview day that its a business venture, and if you don't have the capital for the venture then you shouldn't start it.

Them telling you to get your fico score is just so you can see what it is. And try to improve it before Fall if its too low to get private loans. Their cost is really high and most people will have to take out additional private loans - they try to make sure people know what they'll need to do so.

Yeah, totally agreed. A school lending its own instutional loan is the only reason that I can think of.

Other reasons that are OK:

* If you are applying for employment with the med school (not study there are a student), they can do an employment soft inquiry.
* If you are going to live in apartments that the med school owns, they can do a landlord inquiry.

I also which credit agency this goes through as not all your accounts get reported to all three sometimes. Plus each company calculates your score differently as well which is why most companies will pull all three and compare scores. Just getting one score isn't worth much depending on where its from.

I just received a credit line increase on my credit cards. Would that improve my FICO score?

I also which credit agency this goes through as not all your accounts get reported to all three sometimes. Plus each company calculates your score differently as well which is why most companies will pull all three and compare scores. Just getting one score isn't worth much depending on where its from.

Yeah, my equifax score is 40 points lower than my other two scores. It sucks because it seems like everyone uses equifax to check credit. :(

request them to look at your others ... it helped us out with a lender ;) They want med students business and if you threaten to go somewhere else they might listen (well nelnet did at least).

request them to look at your others ... it helped us out with a lender ;) They want med students business and if you threaten to go somewhere else they might listen (well nelnet did at least).

Good idea. Apparently, equifax thinks I have too much access to credit or something like that. I don't know if it's in reference to my already existing student loans or based on my number of credit cards. So it seems like the credit cards are upping my credit score with the other agencies but maybe lowering it with equifax.

Doctor Bagel said:
Good idea. Apparently, equifax thinks I have too much access to credit or something like that. I don't know if it's in reference to my already existing student loans or based on my number of credit cards.
Does Equifax say that or MyFICO? And having a ton of credit cards is a FICO myth.
Doctor Bagel said:
So it seems like the credit cards are upping my credit score with the other agencies but maybe lowering it with equifax.
Cool link: http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/

30% of the FICO score is from your % utilization. So:

[(Sum of all revolving balances) / (Sum of all revolving credit lines)] x 100%

I just received a credit line increase on my credit cards. Would that improve my FICO score?
It definitely won't be negative, but it could be neutral or positive (depends on the jump down, like 50% to 20% is big). Depends how much and other things, but it'll help your utilization nonetheless.