Credit by Exam

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do medical schools view getting rid of general requirement courses through credit by exam? Getting rid of first semester calculus would be nice, but I doubt medical schools would view the situation in the same manner. Would medical schools be equally critical of getting rid of intro psych or sociology courses (required for degree) with credit by exam?

Members don't see this ad.

How do medical schools view getting rid of general requirement courses through credit by exam? Getting rid of first semester calculus would be nice, but I doubt medical schools would view the situation in the same manner. Would medical schools be equally critical of getting rid of intro psych or sociology courses (required for degree) with credit by exam?

Calculus is only required by a handful of schools although it is recommended at many others:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nss/nav/pages/advice/MedSchlMathReq08rev.pdf

...and most of the ones that do require math only require 1 semester of Calc and maybe another semester of stats. In terms of AP credit, many accept it but many don't...I don't have a list on hand, so it would be safe to not limit your options and still take a semester of it in college. If you do well on the AP you could place out of Calc I and take Calc II...or...you could care less what you get on the exam and just take Calc I and get a good grade in the class :) to boost your GPA (that being said somebody already in college is probably more knowledgeable than I).

In terms of non pre-req courses ex. psych, sociology they don't really care.

Calculus is only required by a handful of schools although it is recommended at many others:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nss/nav/pages/advice/MedSchlMathReq08rev.pdf

...and most of the ones that do require math only require 1 semester of Calc and maybe another semester of stats. In terms of AP credit, many accept it but many don't...I don't have a list on hand, so it would be safe to not limit your options and still take a semester of it in college. If you do well on the AP you could place out of Calc I and take Calc II...or...you could care less what you get on the exam and just take Calc I and get a good grade in the class :) to boost your GPA (that being said somebody already in college is probably more knowledgeable than I).

In terms of non pre-req courses ex. psych, sociology they don't really care.

This probably won't happen. :(

As long as medical schools won't care, I'd rather do this to make room for more upper-level psych or other courses! :D Yay!