creating my own post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kujichagulia2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm 36yo, married with 3 children. I completed an undergraduate degree in Psychology almost 15yrs ago but also took many science courses in hopes to pursue a career in med afterwards. That never happened. I performed poorly in my sciences leaving me with a science GPA of roughly 2.0. Truth is, I was young and rebellious, and now I fear that I may have ruined my dream of becoming a doctor. I am currently working as a Registered Nurse, and I am confident that I would thrive in medicine if given the opportunity. I've been rejected from many post bacc programs. I can't tell if it's because I was late applying or if it's b/c of my previous performance in science courses, or if it's b/c of my terrible SAT scores that these post bacc programs require despite the fact that most of this info is almost 20yrs old. It's so hard to get across that I am not the same person that I was so many years ago. I feel so defeated, but I refuse to give up. I thought of the idea of creating my own custom post bacc program and just taking my sciences over at a local university and prepping with Kaplan for the MCAT. I'm not getting any younger and I certainly don't have time to continue applying to post bacc programs only to be denied with no real explanation why. I could really use some help with how to create my path to med school, it's becoming exhausting to to figure this out on my own. Do you think by me retaking my sciences on my own custom built schedule would help my situation? Would med schools take me serious even though I'm not going through a formal program? I'm already paying loans back, and can't get anymore undergrad financial aid, so I'd be paying oop. This is a big decision for me. Thanks, any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried nicely asking the admissions directors at these programs how you could improve your application? Some won't tell you, but some may.

Have you tried nicely asking the admissions directors at these programs how you could improve your application? Some won't tell you, but some may.
Yes I called every time I rec'd rejection. Only 1 school stated that they would have someone call me back, haven't heard anything yet. Many other schools state that they do not discuss rejections with applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I'm 36yo, married with 3 children. I completed an undergraduate degree in Psychology almost 15yrs ago but also took many science courses in hopes to pursue a career in med afterwards. That never happened. I performed poorly in my sciences leaving me with a science GPA of roughly 2.0. Truth is, I was young and rebellious, and now I fear that I may have ruined my dream of becoming a doctor. I am currently working as a Registered Nurse, and I am confident that I would thrive in medicine if given the opportunity. I've been rejected from many post bacc programs. I can't tell if it's because I was late applying or if it's b/c of my previous performance in science courses, or if it's b/c of my terrible SAT scores that these post bacc programs require despite the fact that most of this info is almost 20yrs old. It's so hard to get across that I am not the same person that I was so many years ago. I feel so defeated, but I refuse to give up. I thought of the idea of creating my own custom post bacc program and just taking my sciences over at a local university and prepping with Kaplan for the MCAT. I'm not getting any younger and I certainly don't have time to continue applying to post bacc programs only to be denied with no real explanation why. I could really use some help with how to create my path to med school, it's becoming exhausting to to figure this out on my own. Do you think by me retaking my sciences on my own custom built schedule would help my situation? Would med schools take me serious even though I'm not going through a formal program? I'm already paying loans back, and can't get anymore undergrad financial aid, so I'd be paying oop. This is a big decision for me. Thanks, any input is appreciated.

Start your DIY post-bac with Basic Chem and Bio. Next year, do Orgo and Physics. Do Biochem in the summer. Then take MCAT. Many reinventors have taken this path and there are MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a DIY post bac and it was fine! I completed 2 courses at night every semester (Fall, Spring, Summer) and worked full time during the day. It took me 4 years instead of 2, but because I worked for a big academic/hospital system the classes I took were free (and they only paid for 2 credits per semester). I know you're working as a RN right now, does your hospital have any programs/affiliations that would allow you to take classes for free? It would save you a lot of money!