Creating a surgical podiatry dept.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pod1030

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to join the staff of a hospital in which podiatry is currently non-surgical. They have hopes of making the program surgical, however, I'm wondering what the timeline for this would be? I love surgery and wish to become board certified, but I'm afraid I wouldn't get the cases I need in the time required unless I get in with a local practice on the side.

Does anyone else have any experience in this area? How long is realistic for making a department surgical? Right now they are referring surgical cases out. Is it just a matter of not referring out or is there accrediting/licensing that needs to be processed?

They also would like to start a residency program there, which is appealing since I'd love to have the opportunity to work with residents/students. The location is ideal and in the long run I feel like it would be a good fit - just don't want to make a poor decision fresh out of residency.

Thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the opportunity to join the staff of a hospital in which podiatry is currently non-surgical. They have hopes of making the program surgical, however, I'm wondering what the timeline for this would be? I love surgery and wish to become board certified, but I'm afraid I wouldn't get the cases I need in the time required unless I get in with a local practice on the side.

Does anyone else have any experience in this area? How long is realistic for making a department surgical? Right now they are referring surgical cases out. Is it just a matter of not referring out or is there accrediting/licensing that needs to be processed?

They also would like to start a residency program there, which is appealing since I'd love to have the opportunity to work with residents/students. The location is ideal and in the long run I feel like it would be a good fit - just don't want to make a poor decision fresh out of residency.

Thanks for any insight.

There are several things that have to happen;

1) you must find out want department podiatry falls under (orthopedics, surgery, etc.)

2) you must contact and meet with the chairman of the department

3) you must provide that person(s) a delineation of privileges list, a list of various surgical procedues requested, which usually fall into categories based on complexity.

4) if you don't have a list like this, contact a friend or colleague who is already on staff at a hospital with surgical privileges amd ask for a copy of his/her delineation of privileges.

5) if none are available, contact the APMA, ACFAS or ABPS and I'm sure they will have material available

6) you must check/change the hospital bylaws

7) you must set the rules for credentialing. Who gets what privileges.

8) you must determine if ABPS certification or qualification is required for privileges

9) you must decide if someone who is ABPS qualified needs to become certified in a given time period

10) you must prove (since you are the first) that you have the experience, training and capability to perform the procedures requested.

11) after it all happens, you must let the medical staff know about the changes

12) you must do quality work and impress the OR staff who will be the ultimate judges

13) you must perform procedures only in your comfort zone or you can ruin it for all who follow

14) you have an amazing opportunity, so proceed carefully amd with integrity

15) a residency program is a long way down the road, since the hospital will need to prove that it is busy enough to support a program

16) good luck and use your resources such as those mentioned in #5