CRC/Research Position or Teaching + PT PCT/CNA during gap years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixRising77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice -- unfortunately, this might be long so I apologize in advance.

I graduated earlier this month with a BS in chemistry. I thought I had a job lined up as a CRC at a major research university which is an hour commute from home (not ideal), and HR was merely waiting for proof of graduation. However, three weeks after I sent my final transcript, I learn that I am now being considered against other candidates which is frustrating and means that I might not get a position here. I started looking for other jobs but I've been rethinking applying for CRC positions as most will be an hour commute + not all CRC positions will count as clinical experience.

Now on to the second part. I have considered multiple gap year jobs over the past few months and teaching high school chemistry has been one of them. Most of my family has been a teacher at some point as well, and tutoring/TAing in the past has been something I have enjoyed. In my state, I could probably find a high school chemistry teaching job close to home (there is a high demand) for the upcoming school year. I all but have my CNA license, and I could work a shift as a CNA/PCT Saturday/Sunday once a week to get clinical experience while teaching and work more shifts over the summer.

I am a reapplicant (I applied for the 2021-2022 cycle and had 1 WL) and plan on taking two gap years. I also will be retaking the MCAT in January because it is on the low side for an ORM. Teaching would actually allow me to have more time to study and do some community volunteering. My only issue with teaching is that I do want to go into academic medicine and hope to attend a research-focused school-- will not having a research experience during my gap years hurt me? I've included my stats/current activities below to give a better sense of where I am right now. Thank you!!

GPA: 3.97, sGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 81st percentile (will be retaking)
Clinical Experience: 250 hours of hospital volunteering over 4 years + 50 hours of shadowing an orthopedic trauma surgeon
Research: 1500+ hrs of translational/basic science research; 3 years in undergrad and includes one summer REU type program
3 university-level presentations, 1 national presentation
I will be included as an author on a paper before I apply to med school again (my mentor is currently finishing the paper but my PI predicts it will be received well by journals)
Nonclinical Experience: 50 hours of tutoring/mentoring + 250 hours at a nonprofit or connecting resources+research studies to the underserved
Leadership: Exec director of a case competition and PR director of a student research org (one of the founding members)
Other ECS: Paid tutor senior year, undergrad teaching assistant every other semester since sophomore year, online craft business on Etsy (continuing this)

Members don't see this ad.

You already have extensive research experience. Teaching and doing some clinical work on the side sounds good and won’t hurt you. Service to those less fortunate is also always good to have.

Reactions: 1 user
You already have extensive research experience. Teaching and doing some clinical work on the side sounds good and won’t hurt you. Service to those less fortunate is also always good to have.
Thanks! I've been told that my resume is more like that of a Ph.D. applicant due to more research experience so I might be overthinking this. I've been looking into teen/youth homeless shelters in my area to volunteer at as well.

Reactions: 1 user