Crazy talk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hornet871

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the interview trail I've talked to some residents who describe a dream life in EM:

Work 6-8 mos in the U.S. (locum tenens?), earning about $100k, then drift away to South America/Europe for 4-6 mos, partying, surfing, blowing your wad of cash (not to mention other things). Then come back to the States and start all over again. Year after year of travel, sun, and joie de vivre.

Can it really be that good? Life can't get that easy, can it? Are there really EM jobs that afford such luxurious flexibility? And what exactly is locum tenens?

I appreciate your input/knowledge.

thanks,

tHe HorneT

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that's entirely possible. Think about it. I know a lot of residents that are getting offers around 200-240k, FT, 40 hrs a week. So, you work 6 months, FT, 40 hrs a week, you are makign 100-120k. Then, you just go wherever you want. of course, you'd be paying rent at two places (or two mortgages), but I think I could live off 120k a year. Now, if you worked every harder those 6 months, you'd obviously have more stripper money...

Q

Locum Tenens [locus latin for place, tenere latin for to hold] refers to someone (physician or clergy) who substitutes temporarily for another member of the same profession.
The beauty of EM is the flexibility and the wide need. No need for your own office, staff etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the numbers add up ($240k/yr, so $120k/6 mos) but are there such flexible positions around? None of the attendings at my school can just take off in July and say, "Alright, I made my $100k for the year, now I'm off to Europe, hope you can find someone to replace me till Christmas."

But these locum tenens jobs, they sound cool. How plentiful are they - if anyone knows - and how easy is it to slip from one to another like a faithless lover?

thanks,

hornyet

There are recruiters whose jobs are to hook up permanent or temporary staffing positions in all specialties and in the allied health fields. If you don't work, they don't get a cut of your salary. It is very convenient as they will take care of your credentialling, malpractice coverage and incidentals. Those who hire you will also pay for your lodging, transportation, airfare etc. I have a friend who has done nothing but locum work since finishing up residency in 1992. You can research locum companies like Daniel & Yeager through their websites. If you can set up your own locum jobs, the pay is much higher as a recruiter may get as much as $300/day on top of what the employer pays you so they may not want to keep this arrangement for very long if they can help it.:laugh: