Craniosacral flexion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doingmybest86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why the sacral bases move anterior in the "bilateral sacral flexion" dysfunction. Doesn't the sacrum move posterior in flexion?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone explain why the sacral bases move anterior in the "bilateral sacral flexion" dysfunction. Doesn't the sacrum move posterior in flexion?
Don't confuse craniosacral flexion with anatomic flexion. CSF happens about the superior axis of the sacrum and during CS flexion the base counternutates (moves posteriorly). In the anatomical sacrum dysfunction called bilateral sacral flexion, the sacrum flexes (base moves anterior) about the middle axis. 2 distinct kinds of motion about 2 different axes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
don't try to make sense of it......."F"lexion is "F"orward

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just use the top of the sacrum as your point of reference, if the top nods "F"orward (anterior) then its flexion. Yes the bottom moves back but thats not where your assessing since you are looking at ILAs which are near the top.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Just use the top of the sacrum as your point of reference, if the top nods "F"orward (anterior) then its flexion. Yes the bottom moves back but thats not where your assessing since you are looking at ILAs which are near the top.

Boom :horns:

Reactions: 1 user
Don't confuse craniosacral flexion with anatomic flexion. CSF happens about the superior axis of the sacrum and during CS flexion the base counternutates (moves posteriorly). In the anatomical sacrum dysfunction called bilateral sacral flexion, the sacrum flexes (base moves anterior) about the middle axis. 2 distinct kinds of motion about 2 different axes.

Thank you for the explanation.

I think he was confused because in "cranio-sacral flexion" (which arguably doesn't exist) the sacrum base/superior portion moves posterior. They call it counternutation to avoid it being confused with actual sacral flexion.

I think he was confused because in "cranio-sacral flexion" (which arguably doesn't exist) the sacrum base/superior portion moves posterior. They call it counternutation to avoid it being confused with actual sacral flexion.

Ah yeah i just read the title hahaha that is confusing.

Future OMM fellow right here!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, this post confused me, because bilateral sacral flexion is completely different than craniosacral flexion. For one, you can actually see people in sacral flexion (pregnant women with increased lumbar lordosis and in-turn bilateral sacral flexion come to mind).

For craniosacral motion you just have to pretend for the exam, because its ridiculous. Just memorize:

CS flexion = sphenoid moves anterior = occiput moves posterior = paired bones go into external rotation = head gets fuller and moves caudal = sacrum counternutates (extends - it does what the occiput does)

If you know that, you can figure out the motion of everything else in the ridiculous cranial questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Just memorize:

CS flexion = sphenoid moves anterior = occiput moves posterior = paired bones go into external rotation = head gets fuller and moves caudal = sacrum counternutates (extends - it does what the occiput does)

If you know that, you can figure out the motion of everything else in the ridiculous cranial questions.
To specify, head gets fuller during cranial flexion in this case means the Left-Right diameter increases, but the A-P diameter decreases (according to the texts). Some think of it like Ernie's head (from Sesame Street) or a football head.

When you say the bones move caudal, I'm guessing you are referring to the wings of sphenoid and the bowl of the occiput. However, it is important to note that base of the sphenoid and occiput (parts of the the sphenobasilar synchondrosis or SBS) moves cephalad which pulls on the dura and its attachment to the sacrum pulling the sacrum in to counternutation.

To specify, head gets fuller during cranial flexion in this case means the Left-Right diameter increases, but the A-P diameter decreases (according to the texts). Some think of it like Ernie's head (from Sesame Street) or a football head.

When you say the bones move caudal, I'm guessing you are referring to the wings of sphenoid and the bowl of the occiput. However, it is important to note that base of the sphenoid and occiput (parts of the the sphenobasilar synchondrosis or SBS) moves cephalad which pulls on the dura and its attachment to the sacrum pulling the sacrum in to counternutation.

Exactly. I guess a better choice of words would be that your fingers/hands would feel fullness and move caudally. The base moves cephalad as the sphenoid motion is counterclockwise when your perspective is to the right side of the skull.