CPME to "ACPME"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stafocker

DPM=Foot Ankle Authority
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the CPME should change it's name to "ACPME". Just wanted to get ppl's opinion on this. Much like APA changing it's name to APMA, shouldn't CPME change it to ACPME.

The reason: to show more independence and equality to the ACGME (American Council of Graduate Medical Education). it's a small step and just cosmetic, but it's still a step displaying independence.

Any Attendings like to comment on this or APMA members (not APMSA)?

Members don't see this ad.

A rose by any other name would smell the same.

What would be the reason for the name change? I don't see the benefit.

Over the next 20yrs, I'm a little more interested in the possibility of lapidus largely replacing head osteotomies than I am about getting podiatry one letter closer to "parity" on paper.

IMO, the profession will change when we get better overall quality of incoming students, not by adding a letter to an acronym.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the CPME should change it's name to "ACPME". Just wanted to get ppl's opinion on this. Much like APA changing it's name to APMA, shouldn't CPME change it to ACPME.

The reason: to show more independence and equality to the ACGME (American Council of Graduate Medical Education). it's a small step and just cosmetic, but it's still a step displaying independence.

i like the idea. true it isn't huge, but why not.:thumbup:

Over the next 20yrs, I'm a little more interested in the possibility of lapidus largely replacing head osteotomies than I am about getting podiatry one letter closer to "parity" on paper.

IMO, the profession will change when we get better overall quality of incoming students, not by adding a letter to an acronym.

Actually that has nothing to do with my topic. it's not about changing the profession but continuing to take steps before it's necessary to take steps. The American Podiatry Association changed it's name to the American Podiatric Medical Association before it needed to, to address concerns of "what do podiatrists do? is it medicine? is it alternative care, etc" They smartly changed it much like the degree name "CCPod" to DPM. I just think in the future, it's a safer move now.

I understand as a student you're worried, but the "incoming" students will come if they see a change in the overall appeal of the profession. Even if it's a simple letter addition. I guess, it's just a visionary approach rather than practical.

As far as lapidus... just pass your boards first, haha. Harborview and Coughlin (Idaho) are constantly at odds and debate the necessity of a lapidus. It's interesting to hear about the history how the procedure became popular. One good story (AAOS folklore) has it that Sig Hansen was a revolutionary for Morton's theory of Hypermobility but was (at first) laughed by his collegues at Mass Gen. Now, ppl are subscribing to his long-term studies, results/follow-up... But Coughlin just published an article that questions whether HAV is a result of hypermobility or whether Hypermobility is a result of HAV (JBJS Sept 2007). He's known to be a proponent against fusing the joint unless Arthritic changes are noted.... Two heavy weights in foot & ankle, the debate is far from over, and it's interesting to try to keep up.......but... again... pass your boards first :)

Any Attendings like to comment on this or APMA members (not APMSA)?

:laugh:.... oh wait :confused: this isn't a joke?

...As far as lapidus... just pass your boards first, haha. Harborview and Coughlin (Idaho) are constantly at odds and debate the necessity of a lapidus. It's interesting to hear about the history how the procedure became popular. One good story (AAOS folklore) has it that Sig Hansen was a revolutionary for Morton's theory of Hypermobility but was (at first) laughed by his collegues at Mass Gen. Now, ppl are subscribing to his long-term studies, results/follow-up... But Coughlin just published an article that questions whether HAV is a result of hypermobility or whether Hypermobility is a result of HAV (JBJS Sept 2007). He's known to be a proponent against fusing the joint unless Arthritic changes are noted.... Two heavy weights in foot & ankle, the debate is far from over, and it's interesting to try to keep up.......but... again... pass your boards first :)
Thanks for pointing out that new Coughlin article; I'll have to do download that one. I saw that even he had said "the relationship between the magnitude of the preoperative hallux valgus deformity and preoperative first ray mobility trended toward significance" (FAI Jul 2007). Now that Klaue device can objectively measure hypermobility, I think we'll see more literature on the subject.

It seems to me that, especially in pre-menopausal female bunions, hypermobility and laxity play a pretty big role. It's sorta like the female ACL tear theories on hormonal influence on flexibility... difficult or impossible to prove, but pretty strong circumstantial and clinical exam evidence.

Sorry to sidetrack your discussion on ACGME parity...