Cousin is interested in optometry, is it worth it today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellab17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My cousin is thinking about applying to optometry schools, but wasnt sure if it's a good field in terms of respect, financial security etc? She shadowed an optometrist last month and found it interesting but wanted to make sure it would be worth the addl expenses as she is in her late twenties and already has loan debt from private undergrad. Plus she figured optometry would also give her the flexibilty in terms of hrs/lifestyle bc she wanted to have a family and the possiblity of owning own practice someday.

Any honest opinions/ advice is much appreciated!! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

This question comes up fairly recently on this board. Please look at the other threads. Or you could read some of the posts I've made in the past, as I have nothing new to state.

Hi guys,

My cousin is thinking about applying to optometry schools, but wasnt sure if it's a good field in terms of respect, financial security etc? She shadowed an optometrist last month and found it interesting but wanted to make sure it would be worth the addl expenses as she is in her late twenties and already has loan debt from private undergrad. Plus she figured optometry would also give her the flexibilty in terms of hrs/lifestyle bc she wanted to have a family and the possiblity of owning own practice someday.

Any honest opinions/ advice is much appreciated!! Thanks :)

Unless you just joined the student doctor forum, this topic you pose has been exhausted. Go do some research and read tons of posts to answer your repetitive question. I ask the moderator to close this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you just joined the student doctor forum, this topic you pose has been exhausted. Go do some research and read tons of posts to answer your repetitive question. I ask the moderator to close this thread.
dick lol.

yeah its fine honey, go for it

No. Unless your cousin has 250K + to pay for optometry school up front, she will spend over 50% of her adult life as a practicing optometrist paying for school.

She was going to try to take out more loans, govt and private (which is a lot and who wants to be paying off so much debt). Plus, from what i have been seeing here it seems like optmetrist dont get paid the 100k that some career sites state.

She likes optometry from what she is telling me but doesnt know if she should try something else at this point.

No. Unless your cousin has 250K + to pay for optometry school up front, she will spend over 50% of her adult life as a practicing optometrist paying for school.

A lot of those in my extended family are optometrists. Sorry I cant say much about becoming one in today's climate per say, but they are all quite happy with their decisions and seem to be doing well. My uncle own his own practice inside of a large grocery store, so he finds clients easily. As long as you are smart about where you practice you will do fine.

I work in a hospital now, but I used to have a practice inside a Costco. When people asked me where my office was, I used to say it was next to the lawnmowers.

Not smart enough for medical school or what ?

She wants the possibility of having children who she can spend time with and her own practice one day. To my knowledge she never had any interest in pursuing med school so i am not sure what relevance your post has.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of those in my extended family are optometrists. Sorry I cant say much about becoming one in today's climate per say, but they are all quite happy with their decisions and seem to be doing well. My uncle own his own practice inside of a large grocery store, so he finds clients easily. As long as you are smart about where you practice you will do fine.
Thanks for your response and I will let her know about what i have been hearing/researching thus far.

She wants the possibility of having children who she can spend time with and her own practice one day. To my knowledge she never had any interest in pursuing med school so i am not sure what relevance your post has.
The above doesn't eliminate the entirety of medicine as an option.

Medicine plus residency equals 8 yrs of schooling as opposed to 4 and as i have said before she is older. She told me her interest lies in optometry especially after she shadowed one. Therefore, my question was regarding the profession of optometry and its current pros and cons. So, I would appreciate it if you can answer the above question, that is if you have any experience in the field.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand that many choose Optometry because of the possibility of having a family and a comfortable work schedule, but it is my opinion that if your cousin is not planning to practice Optometry full time for the rest of her career, it will not be a profitable investment, especially considering loans leftover from undergrad. Optometry school is very very expensive. Not to mention it costs a lot of money.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask your cousin this: "Will you be able to do what you shadowed for 20+ years?".

She has to want it bad and be able to grind through the schooling which is heavy in itself already. At her age with her debt load, does she love the field? Or is it just on a whim?

Only she can answer those questions through self-reflection.

Thanks for the responses guys, i told her about some of the concerns and she expressed that she really likes optometry and is willing to invest the additional years in school and work hard as an optometrist but wanted to ensure she could make a decent living so she can pay her loans gradually and live comfortably.

I guess she finds it somewhat appealing but doesnt want to make an impractical decision and regret it later. She doesnt see herself doing something that would be quicker like PA bc of its limitations. She at least likes the autonomy optometry provides. Any other career suggestions? i did mention med school but she didnt want to do the 8 yrs schooling.

Thx

Ask your cousin this: "Will you be able to do what you shadowed for 20+ years?".

She has to want it bad and be able to grind through the schooling which is heavy in itself already. At her age with her debt load, does she love the field? Or is it just on a whim?

Only she can answer those questions through self-reflection.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the responses guys, i told her about some of the concerns and she expressed that she really likes optometry and is willing to invest the additional years in school and work hard as an optometrist but wanted to ensure she could make a decent living so she can pay her loans gradually and live comfortably.

I guess she finds it somewhat appealing but doesnt want to make an impractical decision and regret it later. She doesnt see herself doing something that would be quicker like PA bc of its limitations. She at least likes the autonomy optometry provides. Any other career suggestions? i did mention med school but she didnt want to do the 8 yrs schooling.

Thx
Therapy:

Physical Therapy or Physical Therapy Assistant.
Occupational Therapy or Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant.

That's what i told her first, but she didnt like therapy and said she wanted to diagnosis and be more "medically involved."
Are you saying PT is a better career option than optometry or do you think she will have an okay living if she did optometry, worked hard, and paid her loans gradually?

Therapy:

Physical Therapy or Physical Therapy Assistant.
Occupational Therapy or Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant.